Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It is true that 9 probably has worse depth.

I still have to see what Farrell does post world cup. A part of me thinks that Ross Byrne was a bit of a desperation move after everyone else basically failed for a wide variety of reasons. This isn’t me hating on Byrne. I’ve always thought he was underrated. But, i don’t know if he is a ‘farrell guy’ whereas JGP is.

However, i can see even if that is true the irfu prob still doesn’t want to block people on that chart.

The however to that however, is that i think harry byrne and frawley are off contract this year (they are prob negotiating now?) so maybe the chart gets freed up some.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Finochet

I can understand why so many are jittery here. I admit wondering what Joe was at when he started " playing the kids" from the very beginning. It took several games for me to cop on that he knew exactly what he was doing. Then Matt O' Connor. Same feeling - why is he trying to turn a super team into a mid table premiership bore. Sadly I was spot on. So what has Jaques inherited? The best attacking team in northern hemisphere perhaps? A super defensive outfit?

Ok first thing let's fix the " broken" defense.....

I haven't seen a poor a set up defensively since the amateur days. Billy Burns looked world class ( I wonder why) and exploited 3 of the at least 7 massive opportunities out wide. For his try Timoney was doing calisthenics ,star jumps, making sandwiches right out on the touchline in front of the new stand for several minutes before he was spotted by Billy B and not spotted at all by Leinster ( admittedly very inexperienced) back three.

I really hope I'm wrong but I'm getting that Mat O'C feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

"For his try Timoney was doing calisthenics ,star jumps, making sandwiches right out on the touchline in front of the new stand for several minutes before he was spotted by Billy B ..."

Sometimes placing a very obvious player doing obvious things in that position is calculated to draw the defense's attention and stretches the backfield for the attacking side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

In years past when the international lads were out, the team motored through the opposition and won most games easily. This year with the new systems, they all look lost. Ringer was in the team of the world cup and was miles ahead of any other 13. Now he's playing like a wide eyed rookie. The excuse is now the system! Reality is the team can't string 4 passes together, they look poor attacking and this shows as there's no options but to bust up with the forwards.

At the level of the players and the experience they have, it's very poor. Performance wise there's some who have been relatively poor; Ringer, Park and Furlong being the obvious ones.

For HB, he's still a viable option. He's prone to mistakes but who isn't? When he's playing we look a better fluid attacking side, imo. He attacks the line and plays on the line. He's getting flak for poor errors and deservedly so but, Park has had some very poor errors too. His garryowens have been mixed and some of them are easy takes for the opposition. Henshaw has been used as a truck with little invention. Ngati has been better than him.

On the other side of this, Ryan and McCarthy are absolutely sailing and dominant, imo. Clearly the best 2nd row by a long way. Boyle and Clarkson are going well and Baird is probably the best forward in Ireland right now. So there's that!

Time will tell if the systems settle. They need to get it together soon. 7 week break in the league. That's plenty of time to iron out the kinks and get a semblance of balance. Hopefully Osborne and Foley are back soon and Milne gets a run. Milne carrying the ball and punching holes will help the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If we really want to be winning the URC and Champions Cup, we need a back-up out-half that is not prone to mistakes. Fair enough last night was a URC game that we'll get over but what if that was a knock-out game in the Champions Cup?

He doesn't have anything near the credit in the bank where that kind of error can be just part of his game because its not the first time he's had issues with his kicking at key moments. He either needs to iron them out now or Prendergast needs to be given the jersey. I want him to succeed but he's been sold for the last four years on what he's allegedly capable of doing rather than what he has done on the pitch and outside of the odd glimpse of promise, he's been distinctly average on balance. He's so far behind Ross and he needs to close that gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Get me Jimmy Gopperth on the phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It's a sad day when a Leinster team playing in the RDS shows so little cutting edge. The attack, which wasn't looking outstanding to begin with, seems to have regressed since Nienaber came in. Ulster just had to man up. They weren't being asked to make any decisions in defence. It was very heavy on the worst elements of South African rugby from Leinster; just big upright runners trying to bulldoze forward. And I didn't get any sense at all that Leinster could score or make big busts from 50 or 60m out. They're just not looking like a dangerous attacking team.

The defence is what it is. It obviously can be a double edged sword. Hopefully by the time it really matters the backs can be more in tune and can scramble to cover kicks - or the opposition just don't get the bounce. It's not ideal for a team in Leinster's position that they can't rotate in some back three players without it becoming such an issue.

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

the fact that the RDS redevelopment doesn’t include a roof for the north and south stands is a bit of a joke really. Maybe the extra money that came in can be used toward them.

A temporary roof like the one over the side of the grandstand would be perfect and massively improve the place.

i get that you’re only tenants but the facilities at the RDS really are quite poor for a club of Leinsters stature.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I assume it would just make it more complicated to remove it for the horse show.

The Anglesea desperately needs replacing, but outside of that I quite like the large amount of space available around the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Don't have any major concerns about Leinster just yet. The opposition are exploiting the hard up defence, but Nienaber has only coached five matches so far. That's nowhere near enough time to bed in a defensive structure, especially when players are still only in the opening stages of their return to provincial rugby.

It'll take months longer to nail down what we're trying to achieve. Leinster's style of play hasn't really changed since 2019. Layers had been added to it over the years, but the core was the same. It'll take a while to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Munster spent big bucks redeveloping their two home grounds over the years. Arguably it didn't work out very well. Focusing on paying for the players and not the stadium is wise I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Can't compare the two. Timing of thomond is what killed munster more than anything else.

Leinster do need to redevelop rds and rds need the redevelopment for the horse show and other events they host as well....

Disagree here. Ross has credit with the coaching but he's had error strewn matches too. The mistakes HB made were poor, no doubt. I think he's going to start in the Investec. Let's see how he goes. He's not the problem, the clueless defense is problematic.

Leinsters attacking is blunt. They've shown nothing. Who's that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It looks to me as if there was more SA influence on the attack in the games against Munster and Ulster anyway. Admittedly the conditions limited what was possible, but I wonder how much the attack will be just Goodman or will Nienaber ultimately have a big say there too.

What high-profile games has Harry had that have put him on par with Ross? He's a good player but he's not a great player - not yet anyway.

Ross Byrne has been in the URC Team of the Year the last two years for good reason, he's damn good (but of course he could be better too). The credit with the coaching ticket is all that matters and whilst I agree that he has had errors, he's largely been remarkably consistent in his game and has performed in clutch moments for both club and country.

There's little doubt that Harry will start the Champions Cup alright but that's simply because those behind him are too green or aren't seen as out and out 10s.

There's nothing wrong with Ross. I like him. But he's reached his apex, imo. Harry has been good this year. Everyone will focus on his mistakes, which this week were poor but, he's still not reached his top level, imo. I reckon he can get into the international squad.

Anyone missing Stu? Anyone?

There's no panic yet. But seriously, we should all be concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

the weather has been absolutely shite, hard to judge much with that. JGP has been on a poor run of form since last season, in green and blue. Not helping things at all. Add to that our 2 best centres in Osbourne and Ngatai are out for who knows how long, it's a unfortunate confluence of timing. Wouldn't mind seeing Frawley at 12, with Ringrose going forward. Henshaw looks well off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Leinster even though they are a team competing on all fronts for silverware, like it or not, are a team in transition.

Nienaber has come in during the season meaning that the team haven't had a chance to bed in his philosophy over the course of an off-season.

The attack the past few weeks has been poor mainly because they have been playing in torrential conditions and you are never going to play champagne rugby in them conditions.

The internationals coming back from the World cup who don't look up to scratch like Furlong, Conan, VDF, JGP, Lowe and Henshaw have been in wars the past 12+ months. Two years of titanic battles against La Rochelle. 6 nations campaign, New Zealand Tour and competing in domestic and European competitions and the World cup and then after a few weeks break, right back into the season. They are probably not performing at an elite level for self preservation.

We will know what Leinster are really going to look like properly next season.

Nienaber will fully be able to introduce his philosophy, a new attacking coach will be brought in who will be able to introduce new tactics and game plans, players like RG Snyman and whoever they use the other NIQ designations on will only strengthen the team. Players who have been through the wars will get somewhat of a rest after a tough year.

Leinster will be a different animal next year. They will have the firepower in the forwards and backs. The coaching staff will be bedded in properly and the exhausted internationals will hopefully get a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm not sure Lowe, Furlong and Henshaw have played all that much rugby in the last few years when compared with both other Irish internationals and foreign counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

With Furlong and Henshaw they have been dealing with several injuries. With Lowe he has played alot of the big games as well as carrying the occasional knock.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

And let's not forget lowe has been battling rheumatoid arthritis for years now. That will certainly take a toll on him physically and lead to requiring extra rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

My understanding is it is under control, cause if itwasnt ther would be no way he could play any form of rugby , great positive story given all he has achieved, having had such a debilatently illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

Always been a huge fan of Henshaw but I do think there is a fair argument to be made that he has been our 4th best 12 across the last 12 months(Frawley, Ngatai, Osborne ahead of him). I know he's been a key player but surely at some point, we have to pick the form players at 12 for the big games and I think that might mean replacing Henshaw until his performances improve.

About half the league season over and some lads have stepped up and others have fallen down, imo.

Rising, Clarkson, Boyle, McCarthy, Connors.

Fallen down the standards, Ringrose, Park, JOB.

It's fascinating to watch. For me, Deegan has been immense. Probably our best player so far, imo. Will he stay? Another lad who's consistently superb is Penny. Massive workrate and always puts it on the line.

Time will tell how good this team will be. They've only lost twice, so they're still a premier team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Leinster are top of the URC table after 9 rounds.

And in the champions cup they are top of their table after beating last years champions away and the team who was top of the English premiership. Leinster have the same points as the other 3 proviences combined.

This is despite supplying 18 players to Irelands World cup squad. Losing the club captain and main coach since last year and 2 of their coaches coaching at the World cup too.

Leinster have given caps to 6 or 7 new players this season all ready.

Some people here must be looking for perfection.

I think Leinster are in a great place and agree they can improve a number of aspects of their game and looking forward to when they click at the business end of the season.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt Leinster are in a good place. But surely it's obvious that this side is not playing well?

Advertisement