Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Did you s

Did you see the weather for the last 2 games?

They are never going to play like the Harlem Gloobetrotters.

They are not beating every team by 30 points like the last few years and maybe that will be a positive at the end of the year..??

It will take a few months for the new system to bed in.. maybe enjoy the close games in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I wouldn’t write off any players who have come back from the World Cup just yet. They’ll be looking to start to peak in about a month and many will have to keep up that level of performance for another 5 months for the European and URC knockouts and summer tour to SA. It’s a long season and it’s not feasible for them to peak through the whole year.

How many of the WC 23 have gone notably well across the provinces this season? I’d suggest Sheehan, McCarthy, Beirne and Baird have been very good and Crowley has continued to develop. All had minimal minutes in France aside from Beirne. Few others have had a few decent performances but don’t think anyone is at the top of their game.

Let’s see where they’re at in a months time. Might find it easy to settle back into familiar Irish gameplan albeit without Sexton calling the shots. From a Leinster point of view, expect them to improve defensively once they work out Nienabers system and offensively when the weather improves and they have consistency of selection in back line and at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Clarkson has taken a noticeable leap but is it enough to not replace Ala'alatoa? I would lean towards we would still very much need a replacement in that area.

I just noticed that Trevor Nyakane has just left Racing 92 yesterday after his contract has finished.

I'd expect him to take a short term deal in Japan and maybe come to Leinster next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Ringrose, i think, said at the weekend that the bad weather helped leinster. I can’t find it now to make sure that’s what he said but 99% sure.

I would agree with that sentiment. The obvious weakness right now is defense against width. That’s harder on drier pitches in nice weather. I’d agree its something they’ll work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Any talk about 'cheap' tickets being released for the upcoming Stade game in the Aviva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Unlikely. They're only 25 at moment. Even if sales aren't huge would be surprised they tried sell any reduced from that price

Obviously Leinster have used one of their three NIQ designations on RG Snyman, and the 2nd designation is understood to be for a Tighthead prop to replace the outgoing Michael Ala'alatoa.

If Charlie Ngatai leaves, who will the 3rd NIQ designation go to?

My first thought jumped to loosehead but it seems that with Cian Healy in a rich vein of form and showing no signs of retiring, Andrew Porter, Michael Milne, Jack Boyle and Paddy McCarthy that loosehead is in fairly good hands moving forward.

I then moved to a utility back to replace Ngatai. With Jimmy O'Brien, Jamie Osborne, Ciaran Frawley, Tommy O'Brien and even James Lowe all capable of filling that role, it doesn't seem like a priority. Ngatai might stay but again I don't think the IRFU want a NIQ player potentially stepping in the way of an Irish player taking the role.

Next was Scrum Half. I have real concerns at scrum half in the short term. JGP is the starter and Luke McGrath is the back up but McGrath seems to have been bitten by the injury bug. We do have a glut of young talent coming through like Fintan Gunne, Ben Murphy and Cormac Foley but the SH position is so essential to both Leinster and Irish rugby that I feel a bit worried that if one or both of JGP and McGrath get injured, Leinster are in a spot of bother.

I've a feeling that Porter will switch over to tight head. Of course, it would weaken us at loose head. But with Boyle making gains and McCarthy on the horizon and not forgetting Milne, maybe a niq loose head gets signed?

Just a feeling!

I think they move Porter over to Tight head in about 18 months. They won't move him over until Boyle has gotten to international standard.

I think Leinster in the next 3 years will have no NIQ at the prop positions.

LH: Jack Boyle, Michael Milne, Paddy McCarthy, Academy player

TH: Andrew Porter, Tadhg Furlong, Tom Clarkson, Rory McGuire.

Milne will have to take another step forward as well for Porter to make the move because Clarkson and McGuire have good talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think Foley, Murphy and Gunne are more than good enough for the amount of gametime they have been getting - and that was with McGrath missing some time due to injury and JGP being stood down for a period after the World Cup.

If a signing was made you could be looking at Foley and Murphy leaving to get more gametime. And then if the signing was an NIQ who wasn't a long-term project he could be moved on just as McGrath was aging out. It could create a real headache in 2 or 3 seasons time.

You don't have to sign somebody just for the sake of getting the number of NIQs up to 3 - Ulster only have 2 (Kitshoff, Ewers).

I like Murphy, he's raw but talented. Gunne is a bit away, being so young. I worry about Foley. He can't get any kind of run. He looks good though.

I can’t imagine the irfu wanting this as its quite risky from an ireland pov. They would probably give you a THP NIQ just to avoid it. THP is a deeper depth chart nationwide than LHP.

Yeah, where do Foley and Murphy get the gametime?

I suppose Gibson-Park will be unavailable for the two games during the 6N and the mini-tour to SA straight after the 6N, so that will be a bit of an opening. Really at this stage of their careers what would be best for them is being involved in every matchday squad.

I would say one of the three has a chance of being an international and its Fintan Gunne. Muprhy and Foley are URC quality scrum halves but I don't see them as international quality. Scrum half is unbelievably important to Leinster, Ireland and even South Africa's (Nienaber) philosophies. Leinster's main advantage at scrum half is the speed of ball from JGP. Outside of Gunne, Leinster don't currently have someone who can realistically push the likes of Craig Casey and Nathan Doak for the 9 jersey in the future.

I would rather bring in a NIQ scrum half and cause some headaches than having the headache of not having scrum halves capable of playing at a champions cup level and falling short in the future.

Do I think Leinster bring in a SH? Probably not as you said they have the above players but I think it will be to there detriment to stick with the same group especially if JGP sees any sort of long term regression in his game.

I think it's a very pessimistic outlook on Foley and Murphy - the former especially - to say their ceiling is league level, based on their ages and what we've seen so far from them. I would have no real worries at all about Foley being involved in the XXIII for any game Leinster play - unlike when they had to name Hugh O'Sullivan or Nick McCarthy. The future isn't written. Who would have thought JGP would be where he is today when he was behind McGrath and seemingly not in Schmidt's plans? I think if Leinster get Foley's development right he can challenge Casey for Ireland. It's a bit too early to tell with Murphy; I need to see more of him - but I like his fast pass and how he covers things in scramble defence.

Besides, I think Cullen will look for another NIQ at 12 - or just extend Ngatai. I'd like to see Osborne get the gametime there, but Cullen's Leinster don't do backing homegrown 12s.

I'm not saying Foley and Murphy aren't capable of pushing on to international level, just right now, I don't see enough from them to give me much confidence in that they will make that level.

I hope they don't bring in another 12. There is enough talent around the centre position especially if they focus Frawley as a utility player rather than just a fly half.

Not sure about an niq to replace Ngati. We've lots of options there. Frawley, Brownlee and Osborne. That's seriously good depth. If Osborwas healthy, he'd be pushing Henshaw for the starting shirt, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

expect brownlee to leave

The mini tour to S.A might get the nippers match time. Depending on Foley's recovery, I'd expect Murphy to travel.

• Advertisement

Any news of the development side to play the u20's?

If you bring someone in you pretty much guarantee Foley won't be an international - with Leinster anyway. He's looked good at the levels he's been asked to perform at so far, so why not keep developing him and see where he can get to? He could be a long term option, which is more uncertain with an NIQ.

But fair enough. We'll agree to disagree.

Really? He is a good player, or at least from what i’ve seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Any updates on Osbourne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

his lack of game time will probably mean he gets poached by someone else.

I definitely see your point and you make a solid argument. Definitely can agree to disagree. I hope Foley and Murphy push on to the next level and the need for a NIQ player isn't required at the scrum half position.

As long as we pick up a upgrade over Michael Ala'alatoa before next season, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Foley's problem is staying fit long enough to establish whether he is good enough or not and the clock is ticking. He turns 25 this year and this season is already looking like something of a lost one for him given his injuries again. Having moved from midfield to scrum half isn't going to help him either. I think he has been generally ok but I'd be surprised at this point if his ceiling is ever going to be anything more than URC/European bench player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

We may need a less callow team to tour this year. We certainly wont have a cushion to guarantee top spot going down there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The South African tour this year comes at a slightly different time. Leinster will still have 3 league games left in the URC when they get back from South Africa and 2 of those will be Inter pro's so nothing will be guaranteed and you are dead right they will need to send a strong group to South Africa, even for the frist game at least.

Obviously that all depends on Leinster getting through the champions cup 1/4 final the week before the trip to South Africa.

It's going to be a long season for a lot of the Leinster players who played in the World cup. Getting a free weekend like this week could be invaluable later in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 hibknight

there are reduced tickets on sale at midday today from here https://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18005F6AD2B17E78?camefrom=CFC_IE_CLI_LEINSTER_RUGBY_TWSF . €10 tickets and discounted premium level tickets

Advertisement