Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't really see any merit to them starting ahead of Beirne tbh.

Though the overall point is sound. It is a very strong Leinster team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

They are fantastic. But I still don't see merit in the Irish starting 15 excluding him, which is the suggestion I was specifically responding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,177 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster bombarded Leinsters half with contestable kicks and made great territorial gains through it. JOB struggled a lot to actually field those kicks. You'd have to expect the Bulls to do the same tomorrow. Ulster didn't have the power game to take advantage of those aerial wins, but the Bulls definitely do.

On the flipside, I can see Leinster also targeting the Bulls back three aerially. We had a lot of big wins against Toulouse a few weeks ago with that tactic. Bulls are without Adsense who is great in the air despite being relatively short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

23,000 tickets have been sold for tomorrow's match. Seen a few SA based journalists express disappointment at the figure. Jake White has made a big push in the media to get as many fans to the stadium as possible.

• Advertisement

Yeah, JOB is a good catcher of high balls when he gets in position but has a habit of sometimes overrunning them it seems like when he's at 15. You feel it is definitely an area the Bulls will try to go after us tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

High kicks drop like a stone at altitude too. It will be a really big ask for Lowe, Larmour, JOB and JGP fielding these.

But as you say it may play into our hands too. Our post 50 minute box kick tactic will cause them problems too.

Whatever about JOB this is a huge test for Larmour too. His high ball work has probably been his biggest improvement this season. I don't think its a coincidence with Nienaber coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

On an unrelated note, RG Snyman is on the bench behind Fineen Wycherly for the semi-final tomorrow. I don' t know if he's carrying an injury but it hasn't been mentioned.

I am completely unenthused about this signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭StormForce13

Ditto.

But his performances in the past few months have been a huge factor in Munster's unbeaten record, so I'm prepared to suck it up if he can deliver the same for us next season.

He's not an 80 minute player. I'm fine with him as a signing for coming off the bench, but I wouldn't want to be relying on him for any more.

• Advertisement

Snyman has been very good for Munster since returning tbf. Although that was mostly against URC sides and not the better European teams. There isn't another second row in the world with his mixture of physicality and ball playing skills.

He'll ideally be used as a sub in the bigger games. I really like the idea of him coming on for 25 minutes against a opposition pack that has been softened up.

It's also the reason why I'm hopeful Leinster finalise the deal for Slimani as well. He's a very competent scrummager. If we can maintain a solid platform for 80 minutes through him and Furlong it would allow for Snyman so essentially do whatever he wants. Gives the entire 23 so much more confidence when they know they have a good set piece to work from.

Post edited by Clegg on

Nah, I'm excited about it. My only concerns are his injury profile, I think he's on the bench this weekend because Munster are going for the bomb squad/finishers approach of late.

He's been a massive difference maker for Munster IMO since his return to fitness - I don't think it's coincidental that their excellent record since the Scarlets game (9 straight wins) is also the game he returned for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would Sexton have come through if McKinley didn't get the injuries he did? Luck plays such a huge role in players careers

yes. Sexton won the european cup in the same season McKinley debuted for Leinster.

It was McKinley versus Madigan.

Ahh, I'm fucked up so. Thought they came through around the same time. Merci

James Tracey was effusive in his praise for Leinster's scrum in a recent Rugby Weekly podcast. He went through the slight technical improvements the pack has made, but he believes the bigger reason is a shift in attitude. Where once we maybe saw it as a way to launch a set piece attack, we're now viewing it as a way to lay a marker down and demoralise the opposition.

It may be too soon to see us get one over on the Bulls or the Boks at home, but it's an attitude we're going to see more of next season. Especially if we bring in Slimani who is a better scrummager than Ala'alatoa.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,780 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

anyone know much about this 23 year old outside centre the Bulls have named at 23, Cornel Smit?

will be his debut for the Bulls, and has only 3 caps at this level ever.

this is some level to be making your debut at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I am somewhat surprised that Ringer gets to start . I hope he goes well. Altitude, altitude, altitude. The complete crap showing in S A and the loss to Ulster have put us in this position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Can You ever be positive?

You are in a semi, have a good shot at winning it and it's far from the worst position to be in at this stage of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭This is it

At this stage I'd say people are as bad for engaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭The Macho Man

I'd say Osborne is bullin being dropped like that. I thought a wiser choice was Ringer on the bench. Osborne has done nothing wrong. At altitude his already sizeable boot would be a huge plus.

I suspect he'll come on early enough. He's done very well of late but he is definitely a bit more one dimensional than Ringrose.

I doubt it. It's pro sport and ringrose is club captain. I'm sure he understands the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭The Macho Man

He hasn't played in how long? If coach thinks he's ready fair enough but I thought he might have stuck with Ozzy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,780 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Osbourne has played 500 minutes of rugby over the last 6 weeks. That's 6 full games in a row, with a 20 minute extra time thrown in for good measure.

If anyone needs a break it's him.

I'd say the opposite tbh. Osborne has a better kicking game imo and is more of a distributor. Ringrose definitely a better defender

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭johnh6767

IMO if Ringrose was fit against Toulouse we got the star, he’s a game changer

And if Ryan was fit last year.

Ifs, buts and maybes.

No excuses today, just get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Looking forward to the game today.

Optimistic about the game with the team selected. They really need to step up and show their mettle.

If it clicks, I'd say Leinster by 15+.

• Advertisement

I think we'll win, but I'm still pretty nervous about the match. Bulls have beaten us at this stage before. They dismantled our lineout and with their tight carrying game, eked their way into our half and scored from there.

I think that under Nienaber we're now better set up to deal with that sort of game. But it'll be a close run thing. I'd be a bit worried if we have the lion's share of possession as well. Right now, we're a side that performs better in transition when the defence is unsettled.

Advertisement