Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good deals on mortgages?

• 10-03-2021 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭

As per title, any good deals on mortgages at present?

My fixed term is coming up for renewal soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

mrcheez wrote: »
    As per title, any good deals on mortgages at present?

My fixed term is coming up for renewal soon.

Avant Money fixed rates are quite good at the moment. The only issue with Avant Money is that they are only available through a small set of brokers. Some of the AIB LTV rates are competitive also. KBC are offering 3k to switch and some of their rates are also competitive. All depends on what your LTV is to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've only about 24% left to pay off...about 5 years..would that exclude me from the KBC deal?

Also... is there any benefit in going via a broker or shall I just go to KBC directly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

Also... is there any benefit in going via a broker or shall I just go to KBC directly?

I could be wrong but don't KBC require you to open a current account with them too for you to get the low rates? AIB are doing good rates plus you get €2k back.

Do it yourself if you are confident in what you are doing.

Pop your details in this and it gives you a list of rates: https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-mortgages/

PCros wrote: »
    Do it yourself if you are confident in what you are doing.

Are there some pitfalls? I would have thought it's as straightforward as changing energy provider... just need to ensure I'm out of the Fixed Rate period.

I think all the legal stuff is handled by the banks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

It'll cost 1-2k in legal costs so maybe not worth it if you're mortgage is nearly paid off.

Are there some pitfalls? I would have thought it's as straightforward as changing energy provider... just need to ensure I'm out of the Fixed Rate period.

I think all the legal stuff is handled by the banks?

It is simple enough, still have to fill out all the forms again and the painfully slow salary cert from HR! :(

No, if you are switching you need a solicitor - approx €1.5k in fees as the need to extract the mortgage from the bank to your new bank.

PCros wrote: »
    It is simple enough, still have to fill out all the forms again and the painfully slow salary cert from HR! :(

No, if you are switching you need a solicitor - approx €1.5k in fees as the need to extract the mortgage from the bank to your new bank.

Interesting... so KBC giving €3K means I end up with roughly €1.5K after

How long is the process of switching? My Fixed rate ends in 5 weeks

Interesting... so KBC giving €3K means I end up with roughly €1.5K after

How long is the process of switching? My Fixed rate ends in 5 weeks

Yes but I think you have to open a current account with them too.

I'm in the process now and the bank takes about 10 days after you submit so I would estimate 3-4 weeks.

If going with a broker do you end up with less or the broker just gets paid by the bank?

• Advertisement

If going with a broker do you end up with less or the broker just gets paid by the bank?

Yes most brokers are free for you and will collect commission off the bank. However just check before as some may charge a flat fee.

Advertisement