Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on roofing issue

Options
  • 10-03-2021 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Looking for some advice please. Will try keep it short.

I've an issue with a noisy roof whenever it's windy. One area worse than the rest but some noise in a few areas when very windy. I assumed there were some loose slates. I called a roofing company out to look at it recently and investigate what was causing the noise.

They came out and went up and checked it out. They told me that the roof needed tightening up, fixings replaced, a few replaced slates etc and that they could do the job that day and secure the whole roof and not just the areas I identified as the noisy spots. They said there was a good bit of work to be done and recommended I get it done quickly. They quoted a price and it was a large sum of money (for me) but I agreed to proceed and get the roof fixed as they assured me the roof would be perfect at the end of the day with a few workers on it and I'd have no further issues. I made a point of confirming that this would be a once off cost and the end of any problems and was assured it would sort it out.
    I asked about the cause and they told me it was likely a bad job when the house was refurbished some years back and combined with the weather, some slates loosened.

I knew I should have got another quote but I agreed to let them proceed and do the job that day and I paid them. I was surprised at how quickly they finished and left and felt a bit stung but comforted myself in the thought that at least the roof was sorted for good.

Within days, I knew the problem wasn't fixed at all and had to call them as it seemed they'd completely missed the loose slates. It took a while to get them back but they sent one man back who spent a couple of hours going over some areas and then left. At first I thought it was sorted but didn't know for sure until there was proper wind. The next few weeks were dead calm but the next strong windy weather proved the roof wasn't fixed as there were familiar noises again - although somewhat improved I thought.

Now the roofing company are saying they fixed it twice and if there's an issue it must be because the wood is soft underneath and not their issue as they've done their job and fixed the roof.

If they are correct and there's an issue with the wood that's causing it, should they not have told me that on the first visit? I asked them to come out and investigate the cause. I then let them proceed and paid them to fix the roof based on their assessment. In good faith, I thought that would be the end of it.

They're now completely distancing themselves from any responsibility. Where we're at now after an argument is that they say they'll come back and take off some slates to check the wood and then it's going to cost me a lot of money to fix. I've told them that I'd obviously need a second opinion if it comes to that and get other quotes.

So here, looking for advice.
    I feel like that no matter what, if they come back they'll be determined to prove they were correct all the way and quote me some big price to fix a new problem they never diagnosed the first time.

Are they any way accountable for a wrong diagnosis on the first visit? (assuming that's the case and not just a bad job to fix it in two visits)

That money now seems like it's gone up in smoke.

Should I let them back at all? Would I be better getting someone completely different in to assess and quote (at least two quotes) and then based on their opinion, look at proceeding elsewhere and also maybe looking into a claim for the money thrown away for work that didn't fix a problem or was properly diagnosed?

Sorry for the long story but it's very stressful and the thoughts of a big job on the roof and the cost of it is gut wrenching.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭theflash

I would be looking at getting a couple of quotes elsewhere.
    Not sure if you would be able to claim for the work that was already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

What do you mean by a noisy roof?
    How old is the house or roof?
    Is this an extension or roof of 1/2 storey house?
    What the angle of the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Any pictures of the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭enricoh

How much did u pay the first day? The fact that they came out the day you rang them wouldn't inspire me, good guys are busy. Ask the neighbors , postman ,local shop keeper etc do they know anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

It’s 4 figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,354 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It’s 4 figure.

A tough lesson. A contractor willing to arrive with a gang of men on the spot would set alarms ringing with anyone but its in the past now.
    Get someone trusted to offer an opinion on the works needed and go from there.
    If the roof is a concrete tile finish, there might be very little wrong as they tend to rattle.
    If its slate, it could be losse clamps but you would almost see loose slates from a quick scan of the roof if its in good condition besides.
    It could also be significantly worse and be related to deteriorating battens allowing slate nails to work loose. Either way, if all the slates are up there after a storm, its not an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where did you get their number from? Is it a registered company with a premises? Did you pay in cash? Did you get a VAT receipt?

I found them on google. They have a website and address. On the day, I received a hand written receipt on headed paper for a cash payment. There wasn't vat on it, just a total. Just to clarify, they didn't come out the same day I called them. It was a few days later.

mickdw wrote: »
    A tough lesson. A contractor willing to arrive with a gang of men on the spot would set alarms ringing with anyone but its in the past now.
    Get someone trusted to offer an opinion on the works needed and go from there.
    If the roof is a concrete tile finish, there might be very little wrong as they tend to rattle.
    If its slate, it could be losse clamps but you would almost see loose slates from a quick scan of the roof if its in good condition besides.
    It could also be significantly worse and be related to deteriorating battens allowing slate nails to work loose. Either way, if all the slates are up there after a storm, its not an emergency.

Indeed, a harsh lesson.
    Yes, it's slate. No slates have ever come off. They just rattle when it's windy and it's quite noisy inside the house.

I had some roofing work done a while back. I got a few quotes and I have to say the difference between them was startling. Even the suggested repairs from the guys I had over were very different.

In the end I went for one further quote, by contacting someone listed on the national guild website (https://www.nationalguild.ie/). Now maybe it was just luck, but this guy came over, knew exactly what needed to be done, gave us a quote on the spot followed by emailing us a breakdown of the quote and a copy of his insurance.

He was pricey, but sure they all were. But the level of comfort I got from how professional he was really put me at ease. I'm not qualified to say how good the job was but we certainly haven't had any issues since. I'd definitely go back to that website again if I needed another big job done.

• Advertisement

I had some roofing work done a while back. I got a few quotes and I have to say the difference between them was startling. Even the suggested repairs from the guys I had over were very different.

In the end I went for one further quote, by contacting someone listed on the national guild website (https://www.nationalguild.ie/). Now maybe it was just luck, but this guy came over, knew exactly what needed to be done, gave us a quote on the spot followed by emailing us a breakdown of the quote and a copy of his insurance.

He was pricey, but sure they all were. But the level of comfort I got from how professional he was really put me at ease. I'm not qualified to say how good the job was but we certainly haven't had any issues since. I'd definitely go back to that website again if I needed another big job done.

Thank you. I will have a look. Yes, you can't beat a level of comfort and peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Membership of the National Guild means nothing, anyone can join if you pay the fee. Always check that, any address given by the business, is an actual address

Advertisement