Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sheep farming

Options
  • 11-03-2021 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, I have worked on farms and have a few acres myself. I am thinking about starting my own sheep farm business. But to start off I was thinking in buying in lambs and then fattening them up and selling them to the factory. I only know a few farmers that do this. Am I mad or what do I do? Any advice would be great thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Macs901 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have worked on farms and have a few acres myself. I am thinking about starting my own sheep farm business. But to start off I was thinking in buying in lambs and then fattening them up and selling them to the factory. I only know a few farmers that do this. Am I mad or what do I do? Any advice would be great thank you.

Factories giving 7.60 kg this morning so any hoggets killing out max weight making over 170 euros. These are leaving nice profit if bought as stores.

Stores are usually available July onwards, what are you doing with the land for the rest of the year.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

orm0nd wrote: »
    Factories giving 7.60 kg this morning so any hoggets killing out max weight making over 170 euros. These are leaving nice profit if bought as stores.

Stores are usually available July onwards, what are you doing with the land for the rest of the year.?

That’s very unusual though. I wouldn’t be budgeting on receiving those prices next year. Usually they are around 5.50.
    Just so the op can see realistic. Generally you’d make around €20 head so u wouldn’t be making a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Macs901

Stores are usually available July onwards, what are you doing with the land for the rest of the year.

We used to have horses on the land to keep the grass down but the fencing needs to be fixed and the sheds aren’t in great shape so noting is on them now. Getting the flock number their saying about having “handling facilities” does anyone know about having these like cheap crushes ?
    Thanks

Stores are usually available July onwards, what are you doing with the land for the rest of the year.

We used to have horses on the land to keep the grass down but the fencing needs to be fixed and the sheds aren’t in great shape so noting is on them now. Getting the flock number their saying about having “handling facilities” does anyone know about having these like cheap crushes ?
    Thanks

you just need a pen of sorts....i know lads,who used 4 old.field gates,tied to stakes to meet the requirement

Though i guess,will depend on how strict the lad,who inspects will be

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

you just need a pen of sorts....i know lads,who used 4 old.field gates,tied to stakes to meet the requirement

Though i guess,will depend on how strict the lad,who inspects will be
    I got my own flock number about 7 years ago.. the man that came never got out of the car.. I pointed in the direction of the fields and told him I had a pen 3 stables and a shed.. none of which were visible from where he parked. He just said grand and drove away..

• Advertisement
Advertisement