Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisteria Alternatives - Climbers

Options
  • 11-03-2021 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I planted two small (2-3 foot tall) Wisteria last year and they don't seem to be showing any signs of coming back to life after winter.

One of the two never developed a 'leader' and both have no buds etc. now.

I'm going to either replace these with more mature Wisteria in the hope they'll be hardier and survive, or I'll look at other climbers. I've two trellises and want to train up the trellis and along the dividing fence towards the house.

Any suggestions as to alternatives to consider? It's a west facing fence.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Starting with a wisteria as small as that could mean a long wait for flower. They are a bit fussy to get started and there's a wait for the first time they flower. Its a bit surprising that neither of them got going. If you got them from a decent nursery it would be worth talking to them to see what might have been the problem. They should be showing signs of budding at this stage, though I wouldn't quite give up on them yet. Have you done the scratch test on the stem, just scrape your thumbnail along the bark, a tiny scratch is sufficient, to see is there green/white under the bark or is it dull yellowish brown, dead.

My experience of climbers generally has been that most of them prefer to grow towards the maximum light, ie towards the south or southwest. If your fence faces west with the trellis attached to it, and you want them to grow towards the house, is that to the north or south? If it is to the south you should be ok for a number of climbers.

You could consider roses; clematis (though cover the root area with a stone or slab) - there are vast numbers of clematis for different purposes, evergreen/deciduous etc, so do a bit of research before deciding; solanum - Glasnevin is the vigorous plant with a blue/yellow flower, very easy, very vigorous, might even be too vigorous in good soil. Alba is a white version which I prefer, but it does have a tendency to just up and die in a hard winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

I have a Passiflora caerulea, think I planted from a pot last June/Jul. It is on a west facing wall and has gown at least 10ft since I planted it. Took a bit of damage (I assume from the frost) but seems to be back growing again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wolftown

looksee wrote: »
    Starting with a wisteria as small as that could mean a long wait for flower. They are a bit fussy to get started and there's a wait for the first time they flower. Its a bit surprising that neither of them got going. If you got them from a decent nursery it would be worth talking to them to see what might have been the problem. They should be showing signs of budding at this stage, though I wouldn't quite give up on them yet. Have you done the scratch test on the stem, just scrape your thumbnail along the bark, a tiny scratch is sufficient, to see is there green/white under the bark or is it dull yellowish brown, dead.

My experience of climbers generally has been that most of them prefer to grow towards the maximum light, ie towards the south or southwest. If your fence faces west with the trellis attached to it, and you want them to grow towards the house, is that to the north or south? If it is to the south you should be ok for a number of climbers.

You could consider roses; clematis (though cover the root area with a stone or slab) - there are vast numbers of clematis for different purposes, evergreen/deciduous etc, so do a bit of research before deciding; solanum - Glasnevin is the vigorous plant with a blue/yellow flower, very easy, very vigorous, might even be too vigorous in good soil. Alba is a white version which I prefer, but it does have a tendency to just up and die in a hard winter.

Really helpful post, thanks. The scratch test has revealed that there is still life in both plants...I'm honestly not sure if I'm glad or not..

I was in a local nursery checking out some Jasmine's, Clematis' and potato vine. I really want something vigorous and fast growing, and have no issue with maintenance.

I suppose I'll have to wait for signs of life from the existing Wisteria, but am sorely tempted to just rip it out and replace it.

Also, good point on the orientation of the climbers. I'm hoping to train mine north towards the house. I hadn't considered the inevitable tendency for the plants to want to go south. Hopefully some day I'll have enough plant to actually try it 🀣

Advertisement