Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bi-Lingual Auditory Assult By Newstalk

• 11-03-2021 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I strenuously object to the creeping intrusion of the gaelic language several times an hour on Newstalk bulletins.
    It offends my auditory senses and is forcing me away Newstalk.
    (I can never get to the mute function quick enough).

Appeal To Newstalk Management:
    Please don't let a minority force their beliefs on the majority.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

for me personally, it was george hook who made me move the dial

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

Move to another radio station if it bothers you that much :)

There is a lot more offensive content on Newstalk. Our native language would be way down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Who’s forcing their beliefs?

Is the Irish language a belief now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

It's just for seachtain na gaeilge*, you'll be able to understand when they say "and that's all the news for now/more in an hour" in a week or two.

I know these times are hard, but hang in there. If the world got through Megan and Harry leaving Buckingham, you can overcome this tragedy.

* This means Irish Language Week**

** Oddly runs for over two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

gaeilgeoirís can be as extreme in their beliefs as the Greens in forcing their views on people's everyday lives.

• Advertisement

Morathi wrote: »
    It's just for seachtain na gaeilge*, you'll be able to understand when they say "and that's all the news for now/more in an hour" in a week or two.

I know these times are hard, but hang in there. If the world got through Megan and Harry leaving Buckingham, you can overcome this tragedy.

* This means Irish Language Week**

** Oddly runs for over two weeks.

Thanks Morathi - So you are saying that things will be back to normal soon?
    Great news - I can now shelve plans to write to the station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

"Suas chun data" just sounds wrong - and sounds like a phrase tha was translated. word-by-word using a dictionary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

eirman wrote: »
    I strenuously object to the creeping intrusion of the gaelic language several times an hour on Newstalk bulletins.

Is 'assult' assault as Gaeilge or is it yet another foreign language that you prefer?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Is 'assult' assault as Gaeilge or is it yet another foreign language that you prefer?

I was taught to despise the language in school.
    The very sound of the language grates on my senses!

I know it sounds weird, but I am a product of the Irish educational system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

gaeilgeoirís can be as extreme in their beliefs as the Greens in forcing their views on people's everyday lives.

I bet you use the terms ‘snowflake’ a lot in your daily conversations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

The problem years ago you had non Irish speakers trying to teach Irish.

Nowadays, (at least in my daughters school) the focus is on speaking/ day to day conversation. It is taught in a very different way and by people already fluent. Not just by "teachers" who are one chapter ahead of the class.

niallers1 wrote: »

Back in my day, many of the good/native garlick speaking 'teachers' used corporal punishment to literally beat the language into us.
    They were much more enthusiastic in the use of corporal punishment than non-native speakers.

garlick above is not a typo - it's just my lingo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I had exactly the opposite experience to you. I too am a product of the Irish educational system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The annual Irish language lip service. Probably gets them their quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There is so little Irish Language on the station, your username is eirman, shouldn't it be Ireman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Legally, radio stations have to play a certain amount of content as Gaeilge. It is possible that this is being used as a loophole by Newstalk to get around this requirement in a piecemeal fashion.

For such a poster who seems like such an erudite and educated individual. It seems an awful shame that something so benign as a language offends you so much.

For a person who is truly educated should have an open mind. And be glad of cultural difference, cultural heritage, and sense of identity and place.

Perhaps those auditory senses should not be so closed?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Elmo wrote: »
    There is so little Irish Language on the station, your username is eirman, shouldn't it be Ireman?

:D

Irony, is often lost on those with a blinkered agenda, I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Curry my yoghurt, can coca coalyer.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Curry my yoghurt, can coca coalyer.

When yer man said that in Stortmont I actually thought it was gas. Because many in SF do not have much Irish at all really.

And they only use the Irish language for political symbolism. Which I think is the wrong thing to do. A language should not be politicised in such a way imo. It should be just used as a language, and not a tactic.

There is an Irish language programme at night on the weekend, on Newstalk called Splanc on Friday's.

https://www.newstalk.com/shows/splanc-234889

I am not sure what the OP will make of it.....

There is an Irish language programme at night on the weekend, on Newstalk

Naw..you're grand.

• Advertisement

leath_dub wrote: »
    "Suas chun data" just sounds wrong - and sounds like a phrase tha was translated. word-by-word using a dictionary

Yeah, it's béarlachas. This particular phrase bugs me but I suppose one benefit is that it's immediately translatable with reference to the english version they always say. Whereas if you said "anois tá an nuacht is déanaí agat" it might be just sound like a jumble.

I hope they keep it up in some form, anyway. No harm at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

leath_dub wrote: »
    "Suas chun data" just sounds wrong - and sounds like a phrase tha was translated. word-by-word using dictionary
    Gets me every time. It's wrong, end of. :mad:

RnaG would say
    'is sin nuacht an lae inniu' or
    'ba iad sin scealta na nuachta don trath seo'

zell12 wrote: »
    Gets me every time. It's wrong, end of. :mad:

RnaG would say
    'is sin nuacht an lae inniu' or
    'ba iad sin scealta na nuachta don trath seo'

Are they trying to say "up to date" ?

When yer man said that in Stortmont I actually thought it was gas. Because many in SF do not have much Irish at all really.

And they only use the Irish language for political symbolism. Which I think is the wrong thing to do. A language should not be politicised in such a way imo. It should be just used as a language, and not a tactic.

There is an Irish language programme at night on the weekend, on Newstalk called Splanc on Friday's.

https://www.newstalk.com/shows/splanc-234889

I am not sure what the OP will make of it.....

Yeah, I like the way someone like Manchán Magan deals with promoting the language.

As for Irish programming, I don’t mind it too much but with something like Splanc my own Irish wouldn’t be good enough to keep up. I’m fine with the news, and the like, but if it’s not in the, shall we say, “Queen’s Irish” I’m liable to get lost.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Are they trying to say "up to date" ?
    You'd never hear a phrase like that in Gaeilge. There are other ways of saying it
    'is sin nuacht an lae inniu' - that is today's news
    'ba iad sin scealta na nuachta don trath seo'- those are the news items for now

You'd never hear a phrase like that in Gaeilge. There are other ways of saying it
    'is sin nuacht an lae inniu' - that is today's news
    'ba iad sin scealta na nuachta don trath seo'- those are the news items for now

Even in English it is a very tabloid way of signing off, they may as well say "That's The Story" as Spin used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Oh dear, what a pity, nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Oh god, stop whining. You can change the channel if you're that easily upset by hear the native language of this island on the radio. It's Seachtain na Gaeilge and they are just promoting the language a little bit. They've had an Irish language show on there for years and years - Splanc.

Ceart go leor boss

• Advertisement

Don't fan the flames of his ire.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Because many in SF do not have much Irish at all really.

There was a documentary on tg4 recently and the queen had more Irish than one shinner.

Newstalk are doing better than most radio stations than the Irish. Splanc is part of the licence for the station.

But credit were it is due.

The tokenism is over now thankfully. Service as usual.

The tokenism is over now thankfully. Service as usual.

I don’t think its like will ever be again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just seeing this now. I heard a couple of these a few weeks ago. Tbh I found the direct (and inaccurate
    ) translations to be the most offensive part of it. Surely they would have a staff member across their stations that can speak Irish fluently, or at worst go and ask or hire someone to do these very basic translations correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Legally, radio stations have to play a certain amount of content as Gaeilge.

Which is yet anther mad BAI requirement. RnaG and Raidio na Life exist, do they have an English requirement?

Does Radio Maria have islamic calls to prayer mandated by the BAI? (Although how religious broadcasters are allowed at all is another mad kettle of fish)

It's nuts and it's tokenism and any actual advocates of the Irish language should regard it as an insult tbh.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Just seeing this now. I heard a couple of these a few weeks ago. Tbh I found the direct (and inaccurate) translations to be the most offensive part of it. Surely they would have a staff member across their stations that can speak Irish fluently, or at worst go and ask or hire someone to do these very basic translations correctly?
    Tá tú suas chun friggin dáta le Nuastálk

Just seeing this now. I heard a couple of these a few weeks ago. Tbh I found the direct (and inaccurate
    ) translations to be the most offensive part of it. Surely they would have a staff member across their stations that can speak Irish fluently, or at worst go and ask or hire someone to do these very basic translations correctly?

Any examples, and what would the correct translation be?

Tá tú suas chun friggin dáta le Nuastálk

Broken Irish is better than clever English... :D

Allinall wrote: »
    Any examples, and what would the correct translation be?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116569368&postcount=23

Neither of those examples say that “you are up to date”

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    Neither of those examples say that “you are up to date”
    That's because it is a direct literal translation from english, and sounds wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

That's because it is a direct literal translation from english, and sounds wrong.

Not sure where you are getting this from, if it's good enough for well known writers like of Alan Titley or Beairtle Ó Conaire then it should be good enough for you.
    https://www.gaois.ie/ga/corpora/monolingual/?Query=suas+chun+d%C3%A1ta&SearchMode=exact&PerPage=50

Just because something in one language sounds similar to something in another, does not mean its wrong. I don't know if it came into Irish through English, but if it did, so what? Loan words/phrases are a totally natural part of the evolution of a living language.

How does it sound wrong?

How else would you translate “up to date”?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bike2wkr

niallers1 wrote: »

Nowadays, (at least in my daughters school) the focus is on speaking/ day to day conversation. It is taught in a very different way and by people already fluent. Not just by "teachers" who are one chapter ahead of the class.

An nuacht is deireanai ...the latest news. There is no direct translation.

Ta an nuacht is deireanai agaibh..!

Legally, radio stations have to play a certain amount of content as Gaeilge. It is possible that this is being used as a loophole by Newstalk to get around this requirement in a piecemeal fashion.

Radio stations know that they will lose listenership and advertising if they have entire shows in Irish, that's why they stick them in off peak graveyard slots. That's reality.

Radio stations know that they will lose listenership and advertising if they have entire shows in Irish, that's why they stick them in off peak graveyard slots. That's reality.

I can't argue with that. I have found programmes accidently on graveyard slots.

There is some quality stuff done in the Irish language medium in general, in fairness. But because many have a deep seated fear/loathing of the language (like the OP for some reason) they are not heard by many.

Although if anyone has a great level of Irish and is a bit of 'mouth' with a minimal level of personality. They would have a good chance of walking into an Irish media job - as Gaeilge. What is the population of avid Irish listeners 100k ish?

Once you have decent Irish you become very niche, and have a great chance of working in that medium if you wish. Smaller pool less competition.

But it does work the other way as well. Because I have seen and heard top quality actors / radio presenters. Many of whom have a very low profile except in the Irish language world.

And I think 'jayus that is great stuff'.
    Plus then I think they could go into the English language medium and earn more. But the 'grá' for the Irish keeps them there, it seems.

As for Irish programming, I don’t mind it too much but with something like Splanc my own Irish wouldn’t be good enough to keep up. I’m fine with the news, and the like, but if it’s not in the, shall we say, “Queen’s Irish” I’m liable to get lost.

Just read this now. Flipping gas
    'Queen's Irish' I will have to remember that one!

I suppose you could call it 'Michael D' Irish.

I tried listening to Ra Na Life. But even I know (with my middling Irish) some of the presenters/guests Irish is not great. And some of the guests on it seems to resort to throwing in 'likes' in English - while making up Irish words they don't know or just using long phrases in English.

R na L is aimed at youngsters in fairness. And R na G is the one to listen to I find.

I remember Radio Nova used to have a chirpy young one on (can't remember her name don't listen to Nova anymore for other reasons)

She did the 'A to Zee' of rock - As Gaeilge and then in English. Short Bio's of bands etc I thought it was clever way to do it.

I am not sure Newstalk have the gaps in their schedule to do the likes of that?
    But surely a small bit of Gaeilge at news times is no harm. If the OP was more open he/she might start picking bits up naturally. Particularly after listening to it in English. No harm in it imo. We are in Ireland after all.

---

If the Newstalk management are reading this I would say ignore the OP.

Find other ways of sneaking Irish in. As you would do with a small child and their vegetables. Because imo opinion such an anti Irish language view ,the OP holds is not based on logic. But a childish irrational fear.
    It would also benefit people who want to make some sort of an effort. You get out of language you put into it. It can open eyes to a different way of thinking. Or a a turn of phrase, not used in other languages.

I can't argue with that. I have found programmes accidently on graveyard slots.

TBH I think they should go big into podcasting. Cheap to do and overcomes any scheduling issues, people can listen whenever they want (and wind back anything they had trouble understanding). Can link to a website with a transcript, or "hard words" explained, etc.

Scrap the cap!

Find other ways of sneaking Irish in. As you would do with a small child and their vegetables.

This is exactly the sort of paternalism that turns people off imho. But at least vegetables are good for kids... you might feel that people who don't want to learn or speak Irish are missing out on something useful, but they don't.

Scrap the cap!

This is exactly the sort of paternalism that turns people off imho. But at least vegetables are good for kids... you might feel that people who don't want to learn or speak Irish are missing out on something useful, but they don't.

Who are the 'they' exactly and what is the mindset??

If you are in Spain you hear Spanish radio, if you are in France you hear French etc.
    Should it really that odd to hear, Irish on Irish radio?

• Advertisement
Advertisement