Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities for everyone!

Options
  • 11-03-2021 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Droghada wants to be a city, Sligo wants to be, Kilkenny is a fake city and now Ennis thinks it's got what it takes. This bull's hit has to end. City status should count for something in terms of scale and potential in a national context, not be bestowed on a whim to please local politicians and land owners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If anywhere is granted city status, it should be Swords. And not just because it sounds cool either..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If anywhere is granted city status, it should be Swords. And not just because it sounds cool either..

Sounds good, they can have Waterford's city status.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why should city status count for something? It's a fairly meaningless title nowadays considering the disproportionate size and influence of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of our actual cities don't even have their own councils now - that, and town councils for suitably large towns, needs to be fixed first.

The city of Swords sounds cool.

Shame it’s in swords :D

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    Sounds good, they can have Waterford's city status.

The oldest one in Ireland?

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,148 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

In my time it was a Fiefdom ah I miss being a nobleman

Droghada wants to be a city, Sligo wants to be, Kilkenny is a fake city and now Ennis thinks it's got what it takes. This bull's hit has to end. City status should count for something in terms of scale and potential in a national context, not be bestowed on a whim to please local politicians and land owners.

Hmmm, Sligo and Ennis aren't even in the top 10.

The oldest one in Ireland?

Lol.

It's always fun to slip a dig in. Waterford people get very animated by an perceived slights against their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Could be worse, above in Nordieland, Lisburn and Newry were granted city status based on some sort of raffle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The focus needs to be on Waterford, Cork, Galway and Limerick to achieve a greater counter-balance to Dublin.

After that, and subject to that success, the boosting of other centres - Sligo and Athlone in particular - should then take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

City centre location. The neck of them!

20-Sligo-City-Hotel.jpg

blanch152 wrote: »
    The focus needs to be on Waterford, Cork, Galway and Limerick to achieve a greater counter-balance to Dublin.

After that, and subject to that success, the boosting of other centres - Sligo and Athlone in particular - should then take place.

Is it wise to focus on Galway with its traffic problems, or is it something that could be fixed with a bit of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Only 3 for contention should be Dundalk, Drogheda or Swords. All about 40k or above, anything below that is a non runner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

Dundalk over Drogheda as county town and probably has a larger natural metro population but that being biased! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We should revoke city status for all in Ireland, including Belfast and Dublin.
    Make Ireland towns again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭randd1

There's only two proper cities in the country; Kilkenny and Galway.

The other "cities" are nothing only rubbish strewn oversized housing estates full of tracksuit wearing scobies.

randd1 wrote: »
    There's only two proper cities in the country; Kilkenny and Galway.

The other "cities" are nothing only rubbish strewn oversized housing estates full of tracksuit wearing scobies.

Only difference to Galway is that they wear crusty jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

dave 27 wrote: »
    Only 3 for contention should be Dundalk, Drogheda or Swords. All about 40k or above, anything below that is a non runner.
    Both of their town charters will be rescinded when they are amalgamated into 'Louth Mega-City One'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

Dundalk over Drogheda as county town and probably has a larger natural metro population but that being biased! :p

Tallaght should be top of the queue, so - in 2016 it was at 76k, set to overtake Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Why not just let towns call themselves cities if they want to? It won't hurt anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

Omackeral wrote: »
    City centre location. The neck of them!

20-Sligo-City-Hotel.jpg

Sligo have been at this for as long as I can remember. There are signs in the town pointing to city centre and it's written on the local bus service also.

I don't think it should be given on population alone though. I live in Swords and I'm familiar with Tallaght too and people are mentioning these for potential city status based on their population.

Both are essentially villages at heart consisting of mainly a main street and sprawling housing and industrial estates around it. Not denying Swords a good town with many services but the reality is that they are suburbs of Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Other than being able to say "We're a City!!" what exactly does city status bestow??

Is there increased access to resources or funding or anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Other than being able to say "We're a City!!" what exactly does city status bestow??

Swelled heads on the inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Could be worse, above in Nordieland, Lisburn and Newry were granted city status based on some sort of raffle

A 'city' with a population of 26000. The word has lost all meaning.

I wrongly thought you were taking the piss when you said raffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Tallaght should be top of the queue, so - in 2016 it was at 76k, set to overtake Galway.

Tallaght, Blanch etc are suburbs or suburban towns, cant really include it as its part of Dublin, i would nearly say the same with Swords, just a bit further out really

Tallaght, Blanch etc are suburbs or suburban towns, cant really include it as its part of Dublin, i would nearly say the same with Swords, just a bit further out really

Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but they fulfil at least as many of the criteria as these other towns do (Tallaght has a court house, Swords is the county town of Fingal and is the seat of the county council).

Drogheda and Ennis are just as much suburbs of larger nearby cities as Swords or Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A 'city' with a population of 26000. The word has lost all meaning.

I wrongly thought you were taking the piss when you said raffle.

If you think Newry is bad, Armagh City has a population of around 15,000.
    That's the equivalent of Tullamore being a city !

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Big Ears wrote: »
    If you think Newry is bad, Armagh City has a population of around 15,000.
    That's the equivalent of Tullamore being a city !

These cities must have had a few very disappointed tourists over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McGaggs wrote: »
    Is it wise to focus on Galway with its traffic problems, or is it something that could be fixed with a bit of work?

A good question, but Galway is compact enough at the moment that walking, cycling and buses could become the primary modes of transport.

• Advertisement

These cities must have had a few very disappointed tourists over the years.

Yes, I would be disgusted if I visited a historical castle, just to discover that there wasn't enough people living around it.

Advertisement