Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities for everyone!

Options
2»

Comments

These cities must have had a few very disappointed tourists over the years.

Cities in the US can have 1000 people. It’s just a charter. Historically in Europe a town with a cathedral was designated a city. Generally that would be a big city or the biggest in the area but not always. I bet Armagh was relatively big back in the day.

Kilkenny has a COI cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Cities in the US can have 1000 people. It’s just a charter. Historically in Europe a town with a cathedral was designated a city. Generally that would be a big city or the biggest in the area but not always. I bet Armagh was relatively big back in the day.

Armagh was (and indeed still is) the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dublin is a city, a small city but a city.

Cork, just about.

Galway & Limerick, youre really pushing it now.

Waterford & Kilkenny, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

McGaggs wrote: »
    Is it wise to focus on Galway with its traffic problems, or is it something that could be fixed with a bit of work?

It doesn't help that they put all the big employers into the one area and the public transport is rubbish so naturally people will continue to use their cars as long as this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

If its on the weather map, its a city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A 'city' with a population of 26000. The word has lost all meaning.

I wrongly thought you were taking the piss when you said raffle.

As opposed to the City of London’s whose population is less than 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Ireland is unusual in that the right of being a 'city' is granted so sparingly.
    A 'city' with a population of 26000. The word has lost all meaning.

I wrongly thought you were taking the piss when you said raffle.

In England and Wales, anywhere with a cathedral could call itself a city, even tiny St David's (pop 1,600)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

goose2005 wrote: »
    In England and Wales, anywhere with a cathedral could call itself a city, even tiny St David's (pop 1,600)

The strange thing about that is they end up with exceptionally large towns, such as Northampton, Middlesbrough, Bournemouth and Huddersfield which aren't cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Cities are just towns for people who can't face reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Athlone would be a strong contender for city status in the next two decades ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement