Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseeding

Options
  • 11-03-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m going to start overseeding my lawn, never done this before so I’m looking for recommendations on grass seed type, and fertiliser.

Also after overseeding process how long should i wait before cutting again.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Hi,

I’m going to start overseeding my lawn, never done this before so I’m looking for recommendations on grass seed type, and fertiliser.

Also after overseeding process how long should i wait before cutting again.

Thanks

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Anyone?

Head down to the garden centre and you'll get seed there by weight, I overseeded and it took well

The local garden centre advised on seed type

Thanks for the reply Did you use any sand or fertiliser?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Thanks for the reply Did you use any sand or fertiliser?

Rolled and a light cover of mixed sand and compost I had over the top.

Ensured it had water every day (early morn/late eve) as the weather was very good for the 2 weeks after it went down.

Great stuff thank you, I’ll give it a go, hopefully works out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Wait another few weeks (until early May ideally) if you can - soil temperatures are too low right now and you'll have greater likelihood of successful germination come May.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated, it’ll likely be late April before I get near it anyway I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

dang, I got a little giddy in the garden yesterday and spread some grass seed.

Would it be okay to repeat the process in a couple of months or should I do something with the seed that is already down there

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

willabur wrote: »

Would it be okay to repeat the process in a couple of months or should I do something with the seed that is already down there

You might get some germination but not as much as you would in 5-6 weeks time. Give it a light covering with peat moss and don't let the seed dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

RonanC wrote: »
    You might get some germination but not as much as you would in 5-6 weeks time. Give it a light covering with peat moss and don't let the seed dry out.

what is the impact/benefit if any of leaving grass clippings lying over the seed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

RonanC wrote: »

Kind of location dependent I assume? I'm in Cork so was hoping to go earlier. Met Eireann have the last days average soil temp here and they are creeping up:

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farming/agricultural-data-report

Advertisement