Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage and second current account

• 11-03-2021 4:52pm

I have two current accounts - one which is my 'main' account where my salary/most expenses move through and a second one at a different institution (both have debit cards and neither has an overdraft). Am I obliged to declare the second account when applying for a mortgage and if I don't will the lender know anyway based on my credit report? When I met with my mortgage advisor she asked for 6 months of statements for my savings accounts and my current account and it didn't occur to me at the time to discuss the second account.

There's nothing dodgy going on with the second account :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

If you are making lodgments/transfers or withdrawals from one account to the other it will show up so why not just provide the six months statements as it will only slow your application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Yeah how are you funding the second account, what is it’s purpose? If not from your salary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If there is nothing to hide with the second account, you should definitely provide the statements for it. What do you have to lose?

If the bank find out you have the account, and you didn't declare it, it would look suspicious. Probably not the end of the world, but it certainly wouldn't look good. Even if you subsequently provide the statements after they ask about it, it would give the bank a feeling of "what else are they hiding?" and "why is the customer not being honest and upfront?".

Yeah how are you funding the second account, what is it’s purpose? If not from your salary

My landlord refuses to accept bank transfers (we all know why!) so I have to pay my rent each month in cash. I have the second account setup as a payee from my main account but without my name on it and transfer x amount in every month with the narrative of 'rent'. Then I go to the ATM over a few successive days and withdraw the rent from the second account.

The LL really is not for turning on the cash issue and on balance I thought it looked marginally less worse than huge cash withdrawals from my main account every month.

Advertisement