Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Maynooth

Options
  • 11-03-2021 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for advice on moving to Maynooth. We are a young family and moving from Dublin. The houses are just too expensive in the city so we thought Maynooth seems a great place and suited to both our commute.

Wondering if the houses in Brookfield or Meadowbrook or neighbouring estate have a high student population? We have small children so would love to move to an estate that has young families of similiar age. Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

You might have more luck over in the Kildare forum.
    Moving to Maynooth from Dublin myself, going through the process now. Don't know those two areas myself but there's some helpful folk in that other thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both have substantial but falling student populations. All mid-90s and earlier estates do; many of those are the nearby ones there.

Both used to be - I have no idea about now - difficult to insure due to legacy but very much fixed flooding problems. The eastern bit (Park) of Brookfield definitely never flooded and I'm not even sure the western bit (Avenue) did; but bits of Meadowbrook certainly did.

Some of the houses (4 bed anyway) in Meadowbrook have tiny bedrooms and awful layouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MarchDell

L1011 wrote: »
    Both have substantial but falling student populations. All mid-90s and earlier estates do; many of those are the nearby ones there.

Both used to be - I have no idea about now - difficult to insure due to legacy but very much fixed flooding problems. The eastern bit (Park) of Brookfield definitely never flooded and I'm not even sure the western bit (Avenue) did; but bits of Meadowbrook certainly did.

Some of the houses (4 bed anyway) in Meadowbrook have tiny bedrooms and awful layouts.
    God didn't think about flooding. Thank you for the info. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were huge, huge structural works to stop flooding in 2004-5 so it has not happened since and I'd hope won't again within reason - but make sure you can get full insurance.

When I was buying in Maynooth I could have got a bigger, newer house in Meadowbrook for not much more money - but no mortgage available. That was quite some time ago.

edit: There's a thread in Kildare now so I'll close this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement