Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning in my Samsung Smart TV to Saorview and Freeview

Options
  • 11-03-2021 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I moved from the UK last year and brought my Samsung SmartTV with me (Model UE40MU6120).

I see in a Richersounds discussion on here that they said it supports freeview and saorview.

The problem is that I can't see to find any way to tune in any channels. Does anybody know how I can go about that?

According to the spec from Samsung, it has:
    - Support for Digital Broadcasting DVB-T2C
    - Analog Tuner
    - Support for (Data Broadcasting HbbTV 1.5(CZ,SK,DE,AT,FR,ES,EE)/ HbbTV 1.0(PL,HU,CH,BE,NL,LU,PT,DK,FI)/MHEG 5(GB,IE))

I'm not up on the specs, is MHEG just for teletext type thing or does that allow Saorview viewing?

Also, what about freeview/free to air?

Can I multiplex signals to provider both services via the single connector?

Thanks a lot.

(This is all because Samsung have apparently eol'd my parents Smart TV. The Plex app will no longer connect to the server).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that particular model does tune in irish channels - saorview, you'll need a roof top aerial or an indoor amplified aerial

it doesn't have a satellite tuner - so to get FTA UK channels you'll need to get a satellite dish installed & receiver plenty of info here

or alternatively you can use a online streaming service like Now TV for UK channels

*i think freeview is a UK only service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

fryup wrote: »
    you'll need a roof top aerial or an indoor amplified aerial

An amplifier is designed to overcome the loss on a long run of coax which you don't have on an indoor aerial. An amplifier on an indoor aerial is a waste of time, money, and electricity. You cannot amplify what is not there. There is often noise there and with an amplifier you just get louder noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ya whatever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ei9go

Unless you live near the border or on the east coast, you need a freesat box not a free view one.
    Check Amazon. You can get a standard one or one that can record with similar to sky+ functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

ei9go wrote: »
    Unless you live near the border or on the east coast, you need a freesat box not a free view one.
    Check Amazon. You can get a standard one or one that can record with similar to sky+ functionality.

This is misleading

You can get Irish channels on the TV via an Aerial.
    You can't get English channels (in most of the country) unless you have a Satellite Dish and another box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Thanks guys.

Anybody know how I would tune in this TV to DVB-T channels? It seems like there is no option other than manually adding channels. And I'm not even sure if that works?

Is anybody familiar with this model or generation of Samsung software?

techguy wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Anybody know how I would tune in this TV to DVB-T channels? It seems like there is no option other than manually adding channels. And I'm not even sure if that works?

Not that exact model
    But surely there is an option to do an "Initial Setup" or an autoscan
    If it asks to set a country, choose Ireland or UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

winston_1 wrote: »
    An amplifier is designed to overcome the loss on a long run of coax which you don't have on an indoor aerial. An amplifier on an indoor aerial is a waste of time, money, and electricity. You cannot amplify what is not there. There is often noise there and with an amplifier you just get louder noise.

Here we go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

techguy wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

What sort of aerial have you connected to the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

winston_1 wrote: »

Works fine for me.

To answer OP's question.
    Saoir View is DVB-T2 which most modern TV's support. If you are close to a transmitter an indoor aerial should work you may you may need a larger antenna and even an amplifier. I live near 3 rock put an antenna in the attic and it was fine for a short run of cable but once I added a longer cable I needed to boot it. I've also some interference from a HDMI to cat6 convertor.

Upstairs we have 1 TV connected directly to the antenna and down stairs we've two TV's feed by an amplifier. We also satellite dish for the two TV's down stairs.

If you are near the boarder you might pick up UK cannels from northern ireland. My mum is near drogheda and does but high pressure can affect it. Or get a comb box with tv and satellite and connect it to the HDMI of your TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Works fine for me.

To answer OP's question.
    Saoir View is DVB-T2 which most modern TV's support. If you are close to a transmitter an indoor aerial should work you may you may need a larger antenna and even an amplifier. I live near 3 rock put an antenna in the attic and it was fine for a short run of cable but once I added a longer cable I needed to boot it. I've also some interference from a HDMI to cat6 convertor.

Upstairs we have 1 TV connected directly to the antenna and down stairs we've two TV's feed by an amplifier. We also satellite dish for the two TV's down stairs.

If you are near the boarder you might pick up UK cannels from northern ireland. My mum is near drogheda and does but high pressure can affect it. Or get a comb box with tv and satellite and connect it to the HDMI of your TV.

Is not
    Freeview DVB-T2 and Saorview DVB-T ?

What sort of aerial have you connected to the TV?

Hi,

I'm not sure of the exact type, but it's external and has provided Saorview to other YVs in the house.

Back to the original question :

Have you read the manual (Google should find it using the model number)?

What happens when you try to tune it in? Can you take some pictures on your phone and post them here?

** FIXED **

This TV has just been procrastination..

Well anyway, I managed to find the tuning option for this TV.

When I went into the settings from the home screen, the tuning (Broadcast) setting was "unavailable".

But... if you go into the TV mode of the TV then the option is available. I was then able to tune in Saorview using the aerial.

Now I just need to get a DVBS2 FTA box.

Thanks for input everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Had to setup a Samsung TV for a family member in Dublin yesterday, combi Saorview/Freesat. Took a while to figure it out but got sorted in the end.

Setup as UK for Freesat, this then stored the Saorview at random in the 800s. Manually moved the Saorview channels into the correct order from 1 onwards. Changing between the Saorview tuner and Freesat tuner is easy enough via the CH List button.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭in2dark

Did you do this without using a separate box? Directly the feed from the sat dish?

Im so confused if a Qn90a samsung can consume the feed directly from the dish or do i need to buy the extra box. I dont have antenna, just the dish. And all I need is irish and uk fta channels. I hope you see this message and reply :-)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes, direct from the dish. TVs with a screw-on connection at the rear, F-connector, has a built in satellite tuner.

Separate aerial is required for Saorview, push in connection at the rear of the TV aerial.

Post edited by The Cush on

Advertisement