Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank rate switch query

• 11-03-2021 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Dream123

Every little helps!

Ulster bank would be required to issue a new document with the agreed repayment terms and rate, effectively a new contract guaranteeing you the rate for the agreed 2 years

Little or no potential downside in taking the lower rate here - it’s saves you cash and as you say switching to another bank would be more hassle for small benefit, 2.25% would be a hard rate to better in today’s market

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jordanbag

Dream123 wrote: »
    Every little helps!

Ulster bank would be required to issue a new document with the agreed repayment terms and rate, effectively a new contract guaranteeing you the rate for the agreed 2 years

Little or no potential downside in taking the lower rate here - it’s saves you cash and as you say switching to another bank would be more hassle for small benefit, 2.25% would be a hard rate to better in today’s market

Thank you so much. That's very helpful. I was just wondering in terms of switching to another bank (eg KBC) that incentivise switching with 3k etc to use towards legal fees- I am guessing that UB's charge would be much more than the €115 rate switch fee? I am presuming it's a totally different, and more substantial charge? I know only UB would be able to give me an accurate one but I was just wondering if this is generally more than 1k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Dream123

I think it is unlikely they have different breakage fees depending on the reason for the breakage (I.e. change product within ulster bank versus to clear the Ulster bank mortgage) - the consumer protection regulation I think would have an issue with this

Although they could at their discretion choose not to charge a breakage fee (e.g. a goodwill gesture to hold on to your mortgage)

In short - yes I expect it’s best to ask Ulster bank directly - but I don’t think they could have different approaches to calculating a breakage fee depending on the reason for the breakage

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jordanbag

Dream123 wrote: »
    I think it is unlikely they have different breakage fees depending on the reason for the breakage (I.e. change product within ulster bank versus to clear the Ulster bank mortgage) - the consumer protection regulation I think would have an issue with this

Although they could at their discretion choose not to charge a breakage fee (e.g. a goodwill gesture to hold on to your mortgage)

In short - yes I expect it’s best to ask Ulster bank directly - but I don’t think they could have different approaches to calculating a breakage fee depending on the reason for the breakage

Thank you very much for this. I've been reading up on switching and I have changed job (on a temp contract) since getting mortgage and unsure if I can withstand the torture of going through all the paperwork so i'll probably stick with UB. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement