Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Maynooth

Options
  • 11-03-2021 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for advice on moving to Maynooth. We are a young family and moving from Dublin. The houses are just too expensive in the city so we thought Maynooth seems a great place and suited to both our commute.

Wondering if the houses in Brookfield or Meadowbrook or neighbouring estate have a high student population? We have small children so would love to move to an estate that has young families of similiar age.

Also somebody mentioned that flooding can be an issue is some areas too. Any advice and tips would be appreciated as neither of us are from Kildare.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The flooding mention was me in A&P, I should probably close the thread there... its long since resolved, but it was lurking as an insurance problem for a long time after. Also, you'd want to make sure the cleanup was done properly if the house in question did actually flood back then and that you don't have buggered plasterwork.

https://www.floodinfo.ie/map/pf_addinfo_report/1511/ this is the info on the 2000 flood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Brookfield and Meadowbrook would traditionally have been known as student estates, but there's a lot less student houses now than would have been 10+ years ago.
    There's probably a slightly higher amount of student houses still there than others estates of semi-d's, but they'll still be in the minority. If the houses either side of you don't have students, then it'll probably be fine. There's a few student houses within the 15 or so I can see from my front garden, and I've never had any issues with them in the years I've been living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As I said in the A&P version of this thread - student houses are dying off. They're getting priced out basically; many of the houses go for sale as they're not really in the condition to rent out for higher rents.

In my own estate I'd say there's been ten houses sold out of the rental market in the past five years, with one going to rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MarchDell

Thanks for the input on both guys. The housing market is going crazy at the minute and it's difficult to decide what to buy and where to live. We're also looking at other areas in Kildare as Maynooth is lovely but pricing is pretty high. The house we were interested in wasn't for us in the end. But having said that the estate seemed very family focussed which is great.

Advertisement