Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha Dragstar -rebirth

Options
  • 12-03-2021 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭

So coming off my few questions in the general thread and being harassed into starting one for the deconstruction of my Dragstar this is the thread ! :)

Will post images but wanted to ask folks what image host they are using thats reliable and easy. Used to use photobucket but it got very crap.

In terms of the bike, I was given it maybe 6 years back she's a 2000 Dragstar XVS125 (i know) that had sat in someones back garden for ten years plus unloved and sad. Actually not in bad condition at all. But it as some signs of outside weather. Ive never put it on the road myself fully as had been planning on refurbishing it for a few years. With house move a few years back she sat in my garage under a pile of assorted items only to re-appear on a garage clear out two weeks ago. It pulled my heart strings so decided now was time.

Started with a new battery nearly straight away but the Choke cable was completely jammed so some manual adjustments to get her steady. Wanted to make sure that it was running prior to taking it apart fully.

Pics and plans to follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The bike - This pictures from 2014, The years seem to be flying away from me. Bike was recently given and I decided to give it a bit of a clean and paint the Wheels which were Chrome Spoke / Mesh wheels and in bad condition with rush and grime. Unfortunately no photos of that operation before or after.

My cleaning was clearly absolute bill**** as was my maintenance back then because the bike was no driven more than id say 1km 2014 to 2021 and when i pulled the Sprocket covers to remove chain etc last week. The absolute state of them an embarrassing mess of crud dirt and baked in oil. Previous owner a family friend clearly did zero maintenance and in 2014 i never removed the sprocket cover (amateur hour then) I blame myself :P

IMG-20140905-205439735.jpg

This is from 2015, probably turning it over around the block i cant recall.

IMG-20150525-WA0007-1.jpg

So what are my plans ? Well contrary to 2014 when i had scant tools and no idea. I now have many more tools more space and a bit more of an idea of what goes where and what goes bang whoosh on a motorcycle. Back then i was primarily a car focused fella and spent more time on them than these.

Plans today were originally to strip it down clean it up and make it a clean runner. But that changed quickly. not to everyones taste i plan on changing the look a good bit, Loosing all the chrome (hate it) shortening the rear mud guard. changing the seat, Changing the Handlebars, Exhaust, Tank colour and maybe battery compartment. Update headlight and probably all switch gear on bars. Sounds a bit like a bobber, some style queues from that but more reserved and keeping it branded yamaha.

Ive Exhaust ordered should be on route from Czech Republic its a slash hook with silencer,

The Handlebars are a repro royal enfield which might i think require risers to clear the tank, these are en route.

Headlight, not sure yet have to see the rest first.

And tank colour, ive a few in mind nothing bizarre.

Frame remains black, probably satin, and will paint engine black but strip back to reveal metal accents through the fins.

I also have a sandblaster ordered so thats coming too.

So after emptying nearly have one side of the garage (its a two 80's sized car garage) i had the space to actually do work on this machine.

This is what we are dealing with mainly dirt and dust and some spotty surface rust. Choke was immovable, brakes not bad but stiff, i think the front caliper needs a rebuild.

20210305-175117.jpg

Various stages of undress

20210306-094621.jpg

Chrome tastic (not my bag but is for others i can appreciate)

20210305-175230.jpg

Some of these were for me to remember orientation etc. Pretty sure i sprayed these silver in 2014 or else it was my father, actually it was most likely him.

20210310-185321.jpg

Apologies to all i jumped the gun on the rest without taking shots , was too involved.

It consisted mainly off labelling every wire connection / molux and then removing the wiring. Removing the sprocket cover, sprocket chain, clutch foot controls, rear brake controls, exhaust, and then engine out.

Then the loosening the fork mounts dropping forks lifting the head stock up off the stock and dropping the stock down out. All as one piece to keep the work down.

Rear then front tyres and then the rear wheel frame.

20210310-193846.jpg

Ending up with a box of parts an engine on the floor and a frame. Which is far heavy than your brain thinks it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

Had the 650 15 years ago, great bike, shaft driven, didnt know there was a 125cc version

omerin wrote: »
    Had the 650 15 years ago, great bike, shaft driven, didnt know there was a 125cc version

Seem to be like hen's teeth, looked to see any for sale here or UK and not any I could see right now. 250s more popular for obvious reasons. This thing doesn't really float any performance boats frankly it's really limp :) But hoping to get it into something a bit more clean looking and lighter.

It's more of a mind busy project see what I can achieve and to what level.

Cost me nothing the bike . So ultra low budget

• Advertisement

These puppies arrived today. Waiting on new bars

Existing exhaust sounds grand frankly but it just so bloody long I think it looks terrible.

Screenshot-20210322-095937-Photos.jpg

Advertisement