Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Because in my own experience, the travelling community by and large, dont care about any laws/regulations. Why would covid restrictions be any different.

But of course, we are not allowed to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As Taoiseach I wish to now formally recognise Travellers as a distinct ethnic group within the Irish nation.

It is a historic day for our Travellers and a proud day for Ireland

Enda Kenny 1st March 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

-300 attend a funeral.
    -Large numbers from the UK.
    -Set up a marquee where they all pile inside.
    -Swarm past Garda checkpoints on foot after being stopped.
    -Block estate entrance to stop Gardaí.
    -No masks or social distancing.

Yet we'll be told that high Covid rates among travellers are our fault for "discriminating" against them.

Lots of respect for the rules.

Presume this is ok as it's on a public facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Yet we'll be told that high Covid rates among travellers are our fault for "discriminating" against them.

If you could back up this by posting the links when you see them, that would be great thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In fairness that's just one guy and doesn't represent the hundreds of Travellers at the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I feel like the guards should have made multiple arrests there funeral or not

Be interesting to see how many fines were given out. Not 300 at Limerick party and 30-50 given to students. One law for us.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

biko wrote: »
    In fairness that's just one guy and doesn't represent the hundreds of Travellers at the funeral.
    He’s the only one who could type.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The mods slow this morn as i seen a few of these threads CLOSED....

• Advertisement

Shockingly Paver point mildly criticised the mourners. Wonder if anybody travelling from the UK got any fines at the border!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/pavee-point-says-it-is-not-acceptable-for-hundreds-to-attend-funeral-1.4508526?mode=amp

The mods slow this morn as i seen a few of these threads CLOSED....

This will no doubt be closed.

And thats a shame, because it is a fair topic for discussion.

Throwing jabs at the travellers (saying they cant type) wont help unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If you could back up this by posting the links when you see them, that would be great thanks.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/travellers-should-be-prioritised-for-covid-19-vaccination-1.4489764

A pretty recent article with a typical "I won't excuse the 100s meeting up for funerals but it's all everyone else's fault" approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There would be no issue if the authorities treated every societal group the same.
    The attitude towards Students is in stark contrast to the attitude towards the travelling community. The politicians couldn't express their dismiss and anger at students deeply enough, their comments about the Travelling community are astounding due to the absence of same.
    It's ok to discriminate once it's only Students.

It’s ok lads. The travelling community will be vaccinated long before the majority of us posting here. They are higher up the list than those workers who have served us all in the supermarket and teachers who are now back in classrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE went 100% all out against the students a couple of weeks ago....

Not even a mention of this...

Pathetic "news" organistion....

Why would you pay the TV licence?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i'm surprised more people haven't stuck their fingers up at this failed lockdown, and even worse vaccine rollout.
    These travellers simply had the courage to do what we'd all like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Fair play to them.

Story related to traveller etiquette. I worked in a larger tertiary hospital. A leading member of the local traveller (and to be honest drug dealing )community ended up having a coronary arrest.

Don't know how the eejit survived it. seeming as he was 25 stone and smoked like a chimney (including on the ward).

Anyway, a lot of family members arrived in their caravan and pitched up in the accident and emergency acceptance bay. They refused to move as they needed easy access to the hospital so they could see the king. Police were called and for reasons unknown (I am unsure why they all weren't arrested). Half the A+E acceptance bay was cordoned off and they were allowed park their caravans in there. Significantly reducing ambulance access to front door of A+E.

This continued for a number of weeks until the "king" was able to return to his castle.

Things I seen leaving hospital to go home was
    1: People ****ting outside their caravan
    2: Acceptance bay riddled with cans and fag butts
    3: The place smelled of piss.

I was gobsmacked that the authorities allowed this to happen. It wasn't covered in any of the local papers either.

i'm surprised more people haven't stuck their fingers up at this failed lockdown, and even worse vaccine rollout.
    These travellers simply had the courage to do what we'd all like to do.

1/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Working in a hospital I have to say the best thing ever is not having the travellers in the place. They create absolute havoc.

Have any politicians issued a statement or even sent a tweet maybe?

Have any politicians issued a statement or even sent a tweet maybe?

Harris was very vocal about the students in Limerick, as was McEntee , not a word from either on this . Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lots of respect for the rules.

Presume this is ok as it's on a public facebook page.
    The... grammar....ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

You’d think they’d take more care given the deadly virus floating around. I know I would if I had a 50% chance of being brown bread at 39.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/50-of-travellers-die-before-39-study-1.808703?mode=amp

Harris was very vocal about the students in Limerick, as was McEntee , not a word from either on this . Strange.

Remember what happened to Peter Casey when he was critical of the travellers.

No politician is going to criticize the travelling community publicly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The gardai are afraid of them so they can do as they like, so their behaviour is a consequence of very poor policing,
    if they knew there would be consequences i'm sure they'd behave differently, but the gardai only go after easy targets, just like the politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RTÉ had wall to wall coverage of the student parties in Limerick and the protest marches in dublin recently. Rightly so.

So why the eerie silence /crickets in the distance from the state broadcaster over these blatant scenes of disregard for the restrictions ????

They not only had huge gatherings in the graveyard but also (reports say) stormed through a garda cordon and then had a marquee full of people partying ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It’s ok lads. The travelling community will be vaccinated long before the majority of us posting here. They are higher up the list than those workers who have served us all in the supermarket and teachers who are now back in classrooms.
    Huh?
    How so what group are travellers in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Of course we must be politically correct in our opinions but if this doesn't prove the them and us mentality exasperated by the decision to recognise ethnic minority status nothing will. This is not and certainly won't be the last two finger salute.

What's additionally galling is those who not only travelled from the UK but we're actually permitted too. Its just beyond outrageous but of course nothing, and I mean nothing will be done about it and I'd wager not a single fixed penalty notice was issued or fine for breaching public health guidelines.

This was a carefully planned event, Marquee on hand and no doubt refreshments supplied . I'd also like to hear the thoughts of the priest who permitted this event to proceed.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement