Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

So link them? You seriously saying he lead any reputable poll? And i mean a proper scientific poll. Any others (esp the one you have posted) are worthless which is probably why national media didnt report them
    What kind of "scientific poll" doesn't do a poll 10 days out from a presidential election especially when a candidate made a stance on a deeply controversial matter such as travellers and their culture.
    Plus the "scientific polls" got it so arse ways the bottom seeded candidate rallied all the way to second place.

Macdarack wrote: »
    Here's one for example

A BOARDS.IE poll? :pac:

If Boards was anything to go by, Justin Barrett would be the next Taoiseach.

Casey did well off the back off his Traveller comments but he had 0% chance of winning and never led in a single reputable poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

How this is allowed on here is beyond me, if you took out Traveller and replaced it with Muslim, Black Person, Catholic or Protestant it wouldn't be allowed.

How do you suggest anyone can bring the behaviour of this group of people to attention if we can't name them? The media, politicians and gaddai had no problem calling out students as a problem group a couple of weeks back so I don't know why travellers are different.

As a group they are well known to disregard any social and legal norms, and generally do as they please. I'm not saying it's every single traveller who engages in this lawlessness but as someone who grew up in an area with large numbers of them and knows many quite well, I can say that there is only a very small minority who adds positively to society in general.

Coillte_Bhoy
    Did you not see Casey's gains at the time, were you unaware that he was over taking 5 other candidates in 10 days ? If not would you like to have known and why?
    The non scientific polls were much more accurate.
    I'll bet there was "scientific polls" done after the comments were made but they didn't release them, thats swindling in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What kind of "scientific poll" doesn't do a poll 10 days out from a presidential election especially when a candidate made a stance on a deeply controversial matter such as travellers and their culture.
    Plus the "scientific polls" got it so arse ways the bottom seeded candidate rallied all the way to second place.

I dont know why there werent any polls within 10 days but thats irrelevant, the kind of poll you quoted is nonsense and means absolutely nothing. The scientific poll didnt get it arseways, the last published poll was before Casey went on his diatribe so they woudlnt have taken account of that. Isnt your point, that Casey got a huge bounce form his remarks so what you are saying about the scintific poll is more nonsense

• Advertisement

Coillte_Bhoy
    Did you not see Casey's gains at the time, were you unaware that he was over taking 5 other candidates in 10 days ? If not would you like to have known and why?
    im not disputing he saw a surge in support
    The non scientific polls were much more accurate.

But the one you quote dhad Casey on over 50%, so how could they have been accurate?
    I'll bet there was "scientific polls" done after the comments were made but they didn't release them, thats swindling in my book.

Ok but back to my oriignal question, what polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Opinion Polls from local newspapers around the country ,lo Al radio stations. boards.ie, the journal, etc. a lot of outlets did opinion polls and Casey actually lead a lot but none of caseys traction and gains got airtime.

All of the above like to have a neat little story, tied up with a bow, that we're all a great bunch of tolerant lads and lassies, anyone with a dissenting opinion clearly has to be a minority and far right of course.
    I don't believe he ever could have won with household name and all round cuddly ould fella Higgins, but if he hadn't aired that opinion he'd be rattling along the bottom in single figures with the rest of the no hopers.

im not disputing he saw a surge in support

But the one you quote dhad Casey on over 50%, so how could they have been accurate?

Ok but back to my oriignal question, what polls?

I've already told you what polls.

Note the difference in proximity of opinion polls to election day between the 2 elections.

27 October 2011 - election day

And here
    26 October 2018-election day

• Advertisement

I've already told you what polls.

A totally meaningless survey on here? Right so, and you are wondering why national media didnt report it?? My god :rolleyes:

Note the difference in proximity of opinion polls to election day between the 2 elections.

I agree, it's unusual, i checked that myself just now. Im not disputing that polls may have been withheld but its the first ive heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

How this is allowed on here is beyond me, if you took out Traveller and replaced it with Muslim, Black Person, Catholic or Protestant it wouldn't be allowed.

Probably the people reading the thread just took it as a statement of the obvious and one that has been demonstrated regularly in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I had presumed that no newspaper paid to get the polls done this time around as it was seen as a one horse race. Peter Casey then came left of field and caught them all off guard? Well I hope that's what it is anyway.

A totally meaningless survey on here? Right so, and you are wondering why national media didnt report it?? My god :rolleyes:

Farmers journal did one, Limerick leader did one. The Vale did one, radio stations did their own, and they were showing that Casey rallied, the boards one was the quickest one I could show as an example, did they poll more people than the red c poll. I'll have to check that. For gods sake don't hold me to the boards one like I said it was quick to hand. But guess what. All the low key opinion polls showed caseys gains. It was disingenuous for the bigger polls not to do one after the controversial comments by Casey, which would have made the topic of travellers taking the piss out of the system more mainstream, but no this went against P. C brigade and the governments will to give travellers a free pass that us workers pay for. Heavily by the way. And not just financially.

I agree, it's unusual, i checked that myself just now. Im not disputing that polls may have been withheld but its the first ive heard of it

I found it blatant at the time running Casey at 1‰ just before the election from a poll done 12days or so previous, the whole country was talking about Casey and most backed him, and honestly anyone I met through my business said they were all voting for him.

People shouldnt be called Nazis or far right for having the opinion that certain minoritys are costing this country's 100s of millions year, be they settled, unsettled, black, white yellow, non working class layabouts or what the fu€k ever. Anyone taking the piss or threatening peace needs to be called out for the greater good of people who play by the fairly straight forward rules.

Farmers journal did one, Limerick leader did one. The Vale did one, radio stations did their own, and they were showing that Casey rallied, the boards one was the quickest one I could show as an example, did they poll more people than the red c poll. I'll have to check that. For gods sake don't hold me to the boards one like I said it was quick to hand. But guess what. All the low key opinion polls showed caseys gains. It was disingenuous for the bigger polls not to do one after the controversial comments by Casey, which would have made the topic of travellers taking the piss out of the system more mainstream, but no this went against P. C brigade and the governments will to give travellers a free pass that us workers pay for. Heavily by the way. And not just financially.

Yeah but were these polls scientific professional polls or meaningless surveys like the boards.ie one? it does matter and the number of people polled isnt a metric of whether a poll is valid or not. As for the 'bigger polls' im not sure what your point is, the polling companies only do polls if they are commissioned by a newspaper etc and as Jeff Kenna has pointed out above they may have thought it was pointless given the huge lead MDH had, i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It wouldn’t be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: scudzilla, jammiedodgers, Strumms - don't post in the thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

If any group was causing as much havoc around the country, this type of thread would be justified. Every person that has had a negative experience with such a group has every right to come on to Boards.ie and comment.

Why are you trying to silence the voices of people that find themselves victims of a scourge on our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Its insane that hasn't become "TravellerGate" scandal in the news?

Did the guards take Reg plates etc, are they following up with fines and arrests?! Why didnt the guards take a more forceful approach when it was clearly appropriate as people broke through their checkpoints? Its seems from the article that the guards had everything in place after the event! How were people been let into the country from Britain to attend this, no 2 weeks in isolation? covid test?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Has this been mentioned on here?

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/1370364936560517135

Saw it last year in the north with a funeral with many from SF in attendance. It seems, you have enough people to collectively say WDGAF, the Gardai can't do much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

Saw it last year in the north with a funeral with many from SF in attendance. It seems, you have enough people to collectively say WDGAF, the Gardai can't do much about it.

Didn't see it mentioned here and I've no problem condemning the total disregard for social distancing and non mask wearing on display. I'd give a complete guess and assume these people wouldn't care too much for all the laws of the land either.

If this is typical of all funerals on the north inner city of Dublin like it is typical of traveller funerals, then we should call them out as a group.

Somehow though, I'd say these types of gatherings are not typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

larva wrote: »

Have they sat on a dead horse?

Did the guards take Reg plates etc, are they following up with fines and arrests?! Why didnt the guards take a more forceful approach when it was clearly appropriate as people broke through their checkpoints? Its seems from the article that the guards had everything in place after the event! How were people been let into the country from Britain to attend this, no 2 weeks in isolation? covid test?

Unusual thing is it made the news, there have been several big traveller funerals in Sligo during lockdown. Not a mention.

The only unusual thing is it made the news.

They should have been battered off the street, didn't the Guards close a funeral mass down in Dublin for over attendance.

All of those things are only fines. If you want Gardai to arrest people for them, tell your local TD but good luck getting a foreign national to pay a fine and remember that the uk left the eu and the policing agreements

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Interesting in listing off the disgracefully high attendance at funerals over the weekend, that photographer left a significant one out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Interesting in listing off the disgracefully high attendance at funerals over the weekend, that photographer left a significant one out.

Which one?

Advertisement