Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has anybody seeing the wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The new Traveller Barbie playset.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

animals would be cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

That Journo won't be much longer with the Irish Times if he posts on items like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

jay0109 wrote: »
    That Journo won't be much longer with the Irish Times if he posts on items like this!

Posting about his home town ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

if any other section of society did that there would be "outrage" across all media for a week and the perpetrators would be hunted down and made an example of by the state

total silence over this

I guess my property tax will now (in part) pay for the clean up by Leitrim county council.

This Wednesday I will be watching my aunts funeral from my mother’s kitchen table. Holding my mum’s hand as she can’t go to the funeral of her beloved sister either.

If people know the Gardai are unsupported by Government and Judges then they become toothless. They will continue to look the other way while laws are broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if any other section of society did that there would be "outrage" across all media for a week and the perpetrators would be hunted down and made an example of by the state

total silence over this

which tells us that travellers are a very powerful group ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I heard a good one from a member of AGS a few weeks back, about some trouble in Limerick...

Thankfully I'm only dealing with traffic...so I'll only be dealing with them if they park on double yellow lines and even at that, I'm not getting involved...

It's really a poor reflection on AGS, but this same guard had an ombudsman investigate them after a run in with an armed* traveller, and paved point were putting pressure on to get them removed...

*believe it was a knife

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    which tells us that travellers are a very powerful group ?

It's not just because there are so many wealthy Travellers, it's a mix of middle class activists defending them and the ever present threat of extreme violence from multiples.

Not all Travellers of course but there is a massive culture of criminality, violence and control in the Traveller culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Tzardine wrote: »
    Because in my own experience, the travelling community by and large, dont care about any laws/regulations. Why would covid restrictions be any different.

But of course, we are not allowed to say that.

No we are not, but Martin Collins co-director of Pavee Point is and he did tell us in May that large funerals would continue, despite the HSE rules that they should not happen during the pandemic, as they had “huge cultural and emotional significance” for Travellers.

Collins also had the neck to tell AGS to be more assertive at large funerals.

Irish Times article from May 2020. LINK
    Gardaí must be 'more assertive' at large funerals – Traveller advocate.

The funerals, in Cork and Wexford, have drawn sharp criticism as each attracted more than 150 mourners. However, Traveller groups point out that Traveller family groups tend to be much larger than average ones.

On Monday, more than 100 people gathered outside Farranree church on Cork city’s northside for the funeral Mass of brothers Johnny (17) and Michael (41) Cash originally from the Fairhill area. Mourners followed the cortege to St Catherine’s Cemetery in Kilcully, where onlookers said social distancing was not observed.

“But where Travellers and their funerals are concerned, there appears to be one law for the general population and another for this specific ethnic group.”

Traveller funerals elsewhere in recent weeks have also drawn criticism, notably in Birr, Co Offaly; Bundoran, Co Donegal; New Ross, Co Wexford; and in Coolock, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I heard a good one from a member of AGS a few weeks back, about some trouble in Limerick...

Thankfully I'm only dealing with traffic...so I'll only be dealing with them if they park on double yellow lines and even at that, I'm not getting involved...

It's really a poor reflection on AGS, but this same guard had an ombudsman investigate them after a run in with an armed* traveller, and paved point were putting pressure on to get them removed...

*believe it was a knife

The only way Gardai can deal with these people is with force .
    If a Gardai is carrying a gun these guys get very quiet.
    To be fair if i was a Guard i would not get involved either...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Seanergy wrote: »
    No we are not, but Martin Collins co-director said large funerals would continue, despite the HSE rules that they should not happen during the pandemic, as they had “huge cultural and emotional significance” for Travellers

Probably that is why Collins is part of an ethnic group and Collins my neighbour is not.

Is there any other group in the world where funerals have a hugh cultural and emotional significance?

Just Irish traveller culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

total silence over this

This was the 2nd traveller funeral in that town in the last 6 weeks with a turnout in the hundreds. The last one, in January, had about 200 at it. Nothing was done then either. I don't think they had a marquee at that one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

total silence over this

Hmm i know houses in my local area that have had three day wakes during pandemic and not a whisper in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Hmm i know houses in my local area that have had three day wakes during pandemic and not a whisper in the media

It's unlikely that there was 300 people in the house at once.
    Also, did you pass this info on to any media outlets. They need to be informed of this carry on in order to report on it.

Another video of the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

I shouldn't have gone into my subscribed threads this evening. Now I'm even more angry than before after seeeing that footage. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Another video of the wedding!

any human being in this country who could even half attempt to justify that should be thrown into the sea and have their citizenship revoked.

DenMan wrote: »
    I shouldn't have gone into my subscribed threads this evening. Now I'm even more angry than before after seeeing that footage. :mad:

Is it because of the Covid stuff or general styling of the event?

Is it because of the Covid stuff or general styling of the event?

The video itself freshpopcorn and the blatant disregard for the Covid rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Good for them, that's what I say, good for them

wind up artist. are you 10 or 15 stone today?

Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Good to see a Dina haven't seen one in ages.,

Wonder will many of them end up taking up hospital spaces due to their disregard torules.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seanergy wrote: »
    No we are not, but Martin Collins co-director of Pavee Point is and he did tell us in May that large funerals would continue, despite the HSE rules that they should not happen during the pandemic, as they had “huge cultural and emotional significance” for Travellers.

Collins also had the neck to tell AGS to be more assertive at large funerals.

I don't see the problem with what he's saying. Travellers will do their make every effort to stage 'traditional' funerals in spite of pandemic restrictions, and it's up to the authorities to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I think most of Enda Kennys time in government will be better judged by historians than they were recieved at the time.

But, I have absolutely no idea what he was thinking giving a load of rights without any corresponding responsibility to Travellers by granting ethinic status unconditionally

I don't even recall much clamour or widespread (broader societal as opposed to traveller advocacy groups) campaigning for it in advance of it being announced.

And that particular genie will be damn near impossuble to get back in the jar now its out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I don't see the problem with what he's saying. Travellers will do their make every effort to stage 'traditional' funerals in spite of pandemic restrictions, and it's up to the authorities to stop them.

You don't see a problem with the co-director of Pavee Point saying, large funerals would continue, despite the HSE rules that they should not happen during the pandemic, as they had “huge cultural and emotional significance” for Travellers.

That's PP sticking the fingers to the HSE rule book and indeed the rest of the country(who are abiding by the rules so that numbers can be quashed/lives/livelyhoods saved) and AGS.

What a hairy situation to call AGS into, unnecessary, Martin Collins should resign.

Advertisement