Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Two people were arrested and more than 80 fixed penalty notices handed out following the funeral in Carrick-on-Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seanergy wrote: »
    Two people were arrested and more than 80 fixed penalty notices handed out following the funeral in Carrick-on-Shannon.

Which will never be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I don't see the problem with what he's saying. Travellers will do their make every effort to stage 'traditional' funerals in spite of pandemic restrictions, and it's up to the authorities to stop them.

And then they use the necessary force required to disrupt a traveller gathering (the army) and there'd be cries of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I emailed 6 elected officials highlighting the funeral in Leitrim, expressed my views, asked them to question the relevant ministers regarding mandatory quarantine etc..

Out of 6, 1 replied..an independent. The other 5 included the former Minister for Health and current Tanaiste.

They may forget to reply or choose not to but I wont forget next election day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I think most of Enda Kennys time in government will be better judged by historians than they were recieved at the time.

But, I have absolutely no idea what he was thinking giving a load of rights without any corresponding responsibility to Travellers by granting ethinic status unconditionally

I don't even recall much clamour or widespread (broader societal as opposed to traveller advocacy groups) campaigning for it in advance of it being announced.

And that particular genie will be damn near impossuble to get back in the jar now its out.

EK was under pressure from his coalition partners Labour , as well as the media , academia and various NGO,s

its wise politically to throw thee odd bone to the media , they return the favour with favourable coverage for the most part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seanergy wrote: »
    You don't see a problem with the co-director of Pavee Point saying, large funerals would continue, despite the HSE rules that they should not happen during the pandemic, as they had “huge cultural and emotional significance” for Travellers.

That's PP sticking the fingers to the HSE rule book and indeed the rest of the country(who are abiding by the rules so that numbers can be quashed/lives/livelyhoods saved) and AGS.

What a hairy situation to call AGS into, unnecessary, Martin Collins should resign.

He's not saying he approves, he's saying, as someone who understands his own 'culture', that travellers will keep doing it unless the guards intervene to stop them.
    He has said in statements in recent weeks that during the Covid-19 pandemic this aspect of Traveller culture will have to “take a back seat” and large gatherings are “just not acceptable”. He reiterates this and adds gardaí should step in if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think most of Enda Kennys time in government will be better judged by historians than they were recieved at the time.

But, I have absolutely no idea what he was thinking giving a load of rights without any corresponding responsibility to Travellers by granting ethinic status unconditionally

I don't even recall much clamour or widespread (broader societal as opposed to traveller advocacy groups) campaigning for it in advance of it being announced.

And that particular genie will be damn near impossuble to get back in the jar now its out.

I'm no fan of travellers; quite the opposite, but can you point out to me where Enda Kenny gave travellers extra rights to break the law? What law allows them extra leeway when it comes to breaking the law?

It's simply a case of the Gardai needing to enforce the law and the judiciary adequately punishing those brought before them. There's no minority rights or ethnic status stopping that from happening. There's PC bullsh1t stopping it happening, but not laws.

It might be a big thistle to grasp, but it needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/home/620606/large-crowd-attends-traveller-funeral-in-leitrim.html

Another one today, at this rate Carrick will be better known for funerals rather that for stag or hen nights.

Advertisement