Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The gardai are afraid of them so they can do as they like, so their behaviour is a consequence of very poor policing,
    if they knew there would be consequences i'm sure they'd behave differently, but the gardai only go after easy targets, just like the politicians.
    The Guards do their job, it's up to the courts to deal with offenders. There was a recent case of a couple who conned two elderly women out of a substantial amount of money. Between the two of them they had over a 100 convictions which means they were arrested the same number of times. What can AGS do if the courts are so soft?

I think I posted about a member of the public spitting on me in a hospital and I contracted covid from that event before. The person was a traveller and claimed that I had called him a "pikey" as justification for spitting on me. A word I never use. Guards declined to press charges as they said the race/ethnicity defence would be make a conviction hard to obtain.

Guess we should be happy to get a few claps rather than have a safe work environment in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Does any one know if RTÉ has covered this to any extent as yet ????

gmisk wrote: »
    Huh?
    How so what group are travellers in?

I believe those on halting sites are cohort 9

9. Aged 18-64 years living working in crowded accommodation where self-isolation and social distancing is difficult to maintain
    10. Key workers in essential jobs who cannot avoid a high risk of exposure to COVID-19
    11. People essential to education and who face disease exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Its not on their website, curious as the students in Limerick story was headline news for days.
    Nothing on the Indo website either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Tzardine wrote: »
    This will no doubt be closed.

And thats a shame, because it is a fair topic for discussion.

Throwing jabs at the travellers (saying they cant type) wont help unfortunately.

Mod: This. Discuss the topic by all means, within the limits of reasonable discourse. Any blanket prejudices or other wisecracks will certainly result in the thread being closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

That fella from Paavy point was on morning Ireland, he was gently guided through the interview, was even allowed to lament that he can't attend his cousins funeral in mullingar today, I was grief stricken listening to it. Over on Claire Byrne mentioned it to the Odious Paul Reid, briefly as he was interviewed and apparently lives in Carrick on Shannon. The typical tip toe approach from RTE and I'm sure their social affairs and religious correspondant will have a documentary completed by end of day on how downtrodden the ethnic minority are.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Lads, just go to work and pay your taxes. Then isolate in your home the weekends until work again. Know your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Story related to traveller etiquette. I worked in a larger tertiary hospital. A leading member of the local traveller (and to be honest drug dealing )community ended up having a coronary arrest.

Don't know how the eejit survived it. seeming as he was 25 stone and smoked like a chimney (including on the ward).

Anyway, a lot of family members arrived in their caravan and pitched up in the accident and emergency acceptance bay. They refused to move as they needed easy access to the hospital so they could see the king. Police were called and for reasons unknown (I am unsure why they all weren't arrested). Half the A+E acceptance bay was cordoned off and they were allowed park their caravans in there. Significantly reducing ambulance access to front door of A+E.

This continued for a number of weeks until the "king" was able to return to his castle.

Things I seen leaving hospital to go home was
    1: People ****ting outside their caravan
    2: Acceptance bay riddled with cans and fag butts
    3: The place smelled of piss.

I was gobsmacked that the authorities allowed this to happen. It wasn't covered in any of the local papers either.
    I suspect this post is a load of ball cocks.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Actually found a link in the MEN.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/travellers-manchester-royal-infirmary-hospital-13578219

Have a pleasant day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

In all fairness what are you/they meant to do.. some travelled from UK etc. Just let it go ahead, let them show their respect and move on. Is it worth upsetting all those people. I don't think so. There could be troube or even a fight or stand-off.. nobody wants that at a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Did you even Google it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mr Practical

I think it's terrible for any family or friend to suffer loss and I get people wanting to show respect as it's the done or right thing to do no matter who you are.

In this case,it looks like yet another minority group getting special treatment from our ever failing politically correct government. The gardai should not have allowed this to happen for the mourner's sake, where is the duty of care to the mourners as members of the public. Taking the easy option of putting the mourners more at risk of covid rather than preventing disturbance.

It's typical of this country where we put soft laws in place which we enforce like traffic violations and then more serious ones which can potentially affect the nation and then don't enforce them.

Every day I drive through several checkpoints as part of my work which is essential only to be confronted with where are going or whats your purpose. And other times it's just traffic volume reduced so that you can be waved straight through. This is insane as the cost of supplying welfare units for the gardai at each of these pointless checkpoints is ludicrous when they are just waving traffic through. The funny part is that I have seen 8 -10 gardai at some of these units they only seat 6 side by side wheres the 2m distance there?

Anyhow it's Friday so enjoy the weekend.

I will thanks.
    The goings on in that link are out of order, but it has nothing to do with what I replied to, which I still think is a load of ball cocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In all fairness what are you/they meant to do.. some travelled from UK etc. Just let it go ahead, let them show their respect and move on. Is it worth upsetting all those people. I don't think so. There could be troube or even a fight or stand-off.. nobody wants that at a funeral.

if they travelled from the UK they should have been turned back at the airport or ferry port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Be interesting to see how many fines were given out. Not 300 at Limerick party and 30-50 given to students. One law for us.....

Genuinely wonder if those students and settled people in general can use lack of action against travellers as reason to avoid penalty

Any lawyers on?

Why do you feel one group in society deserves more tolerance than any other, here's an example of how to deal with a gathering.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/three-arrested-as-garda%C3%AD-break-up-street-party-in-limerick-1.4499589

corsav6 wrote: »
    Did you even Google it?
    Did you?
    A simple comparison of the post I replied to and the link posted will show they are not the same event(assuming both events actually happened).

Remember what happened to Peter Casey when he was critical of the travellers.

To be fair he got huge support from the public, that’s what happened ( he didn’t lose the election because of that, he came second, a moral victory I guess)

It boils down to the lack of policing, and the lack of bravery from the rank and file, most of whom are woefully out of shape.
    Now if it's a speed trap they'll do their job just fine.

It boils down to a lack of proper enforcement by the courts of the laws enacted by parliament. You have an issue with AGS as evidenced on other threads. How do people run up over a 100 convictions? Yet escape incarceration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The gardai are afraid of them so they can do as they like, so their behaviour is a consequence of very poor policing,
    if they knew there would be consequences i'm sure they'd behave differently, but the gardai only go after easy targets, just like the politicians.

Of course the Gardai are afraid of them, for me we need a proper Armed Police Force.
    I do not blame the Gardai for being afraid of them as the only thing the fear is firearmes. I heard a few years ago of an altercation with travellers, a man went into the house and brought a gun and they never came near his house.
    I think we need at least 50% of our Gardai armed.
    Let the people who do not want to be real police write parking tickets, speeding on different level salary, Men and Boys, I assume women are armed in the Gardai but i never seen a female Gardai a weapon though i got the frying pan a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why was a funeral gathering of 250 people in a Dublin church broken up last month and this was allowed to go ahead? Complete double standards.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda%C3%AD-break-up-funeral-mass-of-former-gangland-figure-over-covid-breaches-1.4485703

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It boils down to the lack of policing, and the lack of bravery from the rank and file, most of whom are woefully out of shape.

I genuinely don't think it's got anything to do with lack of policing and all to do with the state essentially giving carte blanche for this ethnic minority to do what they like. There's not a minister, opposition spokesperson, Senior civil servant, senior garda or Judge for that matter etc who will speak up, it is what it is.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Remember what happened to Peter Casey when he was critical of the travellers.

No politician is going to criticize the travelling community publicly.

He went from a total nobody to almost 25% of the vote on election day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Genuinely wonder if those students and settled people in general can use lack of action against travellers as reason to avoid penalty

Any lawyers on?

Of course they can, the woman in Dublin with a load of Gardai cars chasing her can do the same...

I'm not a huge fan of the Guards but they are in a no win situation here. What can an ordinary member do when the entire media and political establishment hide like cowards every single time this happens

Of course they can, the woman in Dublin with a load of Gardai cars chasing her can do the same...

She might do when she comes back from her holiers in Spain.

It boils down to a lack of proper enforcement by the courts of the laws enacted by parliament. You have an issue with AGS as evidenced on other threads. How do people run up over a 100 convictions? Yet escape incarceration?

Do the Gardaí not swear oaths to treat everyone equally?

If they have a problem with the courts they may mention that to their shop steward or go on strike

How dare they pick on people who won’t give them “hassle” to buff up their numbers, they don’t mind taking credit and dressing up with shiny badges when it suits them

I'm not a huge fan of the Guards but they are in a no win situation here. What can an ordinary member do when the entire media and political establishment hide like cowards every single time this happens

Enforce the law

What they are doing here by inaction is essentially political policing

• Advertisement

Ironic video highlighted on RTE's site.

rtevid.jpg

Advertisement