Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Do the Gardaí not swear oaths to treat everyone equally?

If they have a problem with the courts they may mention that to their shop steward or go on strike

How dare they pick on people who won’t give them “hassle” to buff up their numbers, they don’t mind taking credit and dressing up with shiny badges when it suits them

If AGS were not 'hassling' travellers can you explain the article?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524

Enforce the law

What they are doing here by inaction is essentially political policing

Ya, I've no interest in arguing over it. It is but their hands are tied, if the guards go in there will be a full scale riot which will probably lead to a full meltdown from all the political parties about how racist the Irish are.....blah blah nlah

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Shockingly Paver point mildly criticised the mourners. Wonder if anybody travelling from the UK got any fines at the border!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/pavee-point-says-it-is-not-acceptable-for-hundreds-to-attend-funeral-1.4508526?mode=amp
    Why though, isn't going to a funeral an essential reason?
    Should have dispersed them though at the marquee and handed public order fines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Lots of respect for the rules.

Presume this is ok as it's on a public facebook page.

Fake as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Fake as ****.

"Everything I don't like is fake"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Harris was very vocal about the students in Limerick, as was McEntee , not a word from either on this . Strange.

You're expecting integrity and consistency from Harris? LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Whats even more annoying this is just one of many..

People need to accept Travellers dont give a **** about society or laws. They will do as they please as no one is willing to speak out or act against them.

All this pandering to them and they just laugh thinking we are all fools..

Any political party willing to finally tackle them and their behaviours would get my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

if they travelled from the UK they should have been turned back at the airport or ferry port.
      Why? Going to a funeral is an essential reason to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

With the RTE website not reporting this are they not in violation of their own broadcasing mandate as the national broadcaster? All the advertising ads about telling the state to pay for their licences and the other ad about trusting the news source. Apart from the Daily Mirror who are reporting on this the other news links (Irish Times) are digital pay per view to read the full report. Very iffy if you ask me.

Ninthlife wrote: »
      Whats even more annoying this is just one of many..

People need to accept Travellers dont give a **** about society or laws. They will do as they please as no one is willing to speak out or act against them.

All this pandering to them and they just laugh thinking we are all fools..

Any political party willing to finally tackle them and their behaviours would get my vote

By not doing anything about them neither do the Gardai and the courts by the looks of things too.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Plenty of gardai with guns, sure look at the lad in tallaght that 12 of them shot dead when it suited them.
      I wouldn't argue on an armed police force like you say, but the gardai would want to be fit and able, not like the ones we have now who would be outrun by a snail.

Part of my point is a Gardai in uniform with gun has to be taken seriously.
      The fact that they have that power means they would have to be properly trained. They also have to behave like real Police.
      I know a Gardai who was out of training a Gardai after a few weeks.
      The plain clothes detectives have different roll Drugs etc..
      Just to be balanced is there a comparasion between this and the funeral in NI a few months ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Shockingly Paver point mildly criticised the mourners. Wonder if anybody travelling from the UK got any fines at the border!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/pavee-point-says-it-is-not-acceptable-for-hundreds-to-attend-funeral-1.4508526?mode=amp

nice to see convicted drink driver Martin collins call out criminality
      https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/advocate-of-travellers-rights-gets-driving-ban-26405074.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was in at caredoc a few months back and couldn't believe how quick they could see me.

I was told that since covid travellers hardly go in as they are so afraid of the virus otherwise I would have been waiting a lot longer as they'd be in for everything.

The staff couldn't believe it themselves that it was so quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

UDAWINNER wrote: »
      Why? Going to a funeral is an essential reason to travel

if you are attending in compliance with covid regulations. I dont think that really applies here, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

My wife is a healthcare worker and definitely many travellers can be very challenging to deal with as they have very high standards and expectations and want VIP treatment.

Like say not dying on a trolley in a corridor ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/trolley-figures-5193658-Sep2020/

Worse before covid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It is a bit of a slap in the face to all of us who could not attend funerals in the past year.

All Eyes On Rafah

Generally (and I emphasise generally) I find people who interact with travellers as part of their job tend to have bad experiences.

My brother spent a summer working in a bank in a town with a large traveller population and they were always trying to pull fast ones on him and they saw him as the youngest and least experienced one working there - an easy target.

My wife is a healthcare worker and definitely many travellers can be very challenging to deal with as they have very high standards and expectations and want VIP treatment.

Very similar story with myself to be honest, I've come across a few sound ones and would have a chat, I like to treat people as they treat me so if they're respectful I'll be exactly the same back.

The wife is a care worker and deals with them a lot some she gets on great with others aren't anywhere as nice and even aggressive and threatening... Saying that of course she comes across others the same and from all nationalities.

In my experience it's more bad though then good and I really do feel bad for those that are good that are then brought down by the badness of others....

It is a bit of a slap in the face to all of us who could not attend funerals in the past year.

It's actually disgusting to be fair....

It's been an unreal year and I honestly can't understand how people couldn't attend even if they were to do the mass outside, I honestly think this could have been done in gaa pitches and big areas as such where those very old could even stay in the car but tune in on the radio for example....

It's absolutely tragic and it's going to be the bearer of further issues down the line with grief and mental health issues for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭lucalux

• Registered Users Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Part of my point is a Gardai in uniform with gun has to be taken seriously.
      The fact that they have that power means they would have to be properly trained. They also have to behave like real Police.
      The plain clothes detectives have different roll Drugs etc..
      Just to be balanced is there a comparasion between this and the funeral in NI a few months ago....

Could we have this translated please?

• Advertisement

lucalux wrote: »

They must be monitoring us here. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Well if you think "not dying on a trolley in a corridor" is a high standard I'm not sure what your experience of healthcare is. Most people would consider that basic essential standards in a developed country.

That said if you have evidence of people being left to die in corridors then you should report it immediately.

Sorry, forgot to get my post peer-reviewed for you before i hit reply

In that one thing, they are right - healthcare is almost third-world world here because of the waste

lucalux wrote: »

Typical side tracking, bringing up student parties which has absolutely nothing to do with what has happened yesterday....
      Ridiculous watered down rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Witcher wrote: »
      Could we have this translated please?

A friend of mine son was in training in Templemore (i think) but there may be another Training Centre, he was there about 6 weeks and he passed out as Gardai because of Covid... Training over... no previous experience...

Did you?
      A simple comparison of the post I replied to and the link posted will show they are not the same event(assuming both events actually happened).

So you are questioning if the MEN would make up a story about irish travellers?

That's an interesting theory you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

So you are questioning if the MEN would make up a story about irish travellers?

That's an interesting theory you have there.
      No, I'm not. Read my posts please.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No, I'm not. Read my posts please.

I have, saying assuming both events happened is surely suggesting the MEN made up a story even though they have loads of photos.

Originally Posted by Working class heroes viewpost.gif
      Did you?
      A simple comparison of the post I replied to and the link posted will show they are not the same event(assuming both events actually happened).

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Why is there no mention of this on the RTE website or RTE News Twitter at 13:15 on the 12/03/2021?

The Garda check point was breached, Garda direction ignored. Up to 300 people gathered. A large marquee was setup in a housing estate. Was alcohol served in the marquee?

It's the second large funeral in Leitrim in recent weeks.

I looked on the RTE homepage, the news page, the Ireland News page and the Covid News page. No mention anywhere.

But compare with this, which is also wrong.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0311/1203473-shebeen-cavan/

The non reporting of the Leitrim funeral then doesn't make any sense, when there might only be 5 or 6 potentially breaking the rules in the sheeben.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

As some person posted on Facebook "They want to be treated like the rest of us but think that the laws we abide by doesn't apply to them "

That's these people in a nutshell and 100%correct.

Advertisement