Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Any political party willing to finally tackle them and their behaviours would get my vote

Sorry, but I doubt this. Or at least if you really do mean it, you are very much in the minority.

There was a political party that was hard on crime (some would say authoritarian). That's a position that many in this country seem to support. Likewise, it had a position whereby it wanted to reduce taxation for workers (presumably increasing it elsewhere). Again a position seemingly supported by many people.

It had no support because of its stance on abortion. That's fine, everybody gets to choose who they vote for and why. It's democracy in action. But it's obvious that despite moaning about law and order or taxation, those people prioritise it below other topics when voting. We get what we vote for.

In contrast, political parties on the economic left have consistent support despite policies that could also be considered "controversial".

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

The Guards do their job, it's up to the courts to deal with offenders. There was a recent case of a couple who conned two elderly women out of a substantial amount of money. Between the two of them they had over a 100 convictions which means they were arrested the same number of times. What can AGS do if the courts are so soft?

And there the answer lies.
    OVER 100 convictions means a lot of appearances in court and a lot of " Legal fees " .
    On one side you have a group illegally pillaging this country and another group legally doing likewise. And both are currently untouchable .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Typical side tracking, bringing up student parties which has absolutely nothing to do with what has happened yesterday....
    Ridiculous watered down rubbish.

And not on the website with the other news either...
    https://www.rte.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

biko wrote: »
    In fairness that's just one guy and doesn't represent the hundreds of Travellers at the funeral.

The hundreds should not have been there full stop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

The hundreds should not have been there full stop!!!

I think he was just being sarcastic in that post. They were all at fault being there.

• Advertisement

My son is in UCC and the guards are all over the students and his college colleagues. They live in student accommodation on collage road and when walking to the shop / takeaway alone or in a pair they are being hassled by the guards and threatened with €100 fines. They are being told they are out too late if it is after 10pm going to the chipper. He recently drove to a location within his 5k to drop a house mate somewhere and was stopped 3 times by 3 different guards within a 10 minute timeframe. It's easy pickings for the guards and lazy policing.

Just for balance, the young lad and his mates were having a few beers in another college mates house last week and the guards called and issued them all €100 fines (they were in breach of regulations, accepted their fines and I don't have an issue with that), this is the third time the guards called knowing the lads lived there. I don't object to them getting the fines but the guards need to treat all members of society equally. Again its lazy policing and easy pickings.

And I do agree that the student scenes witnessed in Limerick recently were wrong, they were severely condemned by all including senior government ministers who all seem to be very quiet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'd also like to hear the thoughts of the priest who permitted this event to proceed.

A quick google shows him to be a fairly elderly looking chap, he's hardly going to turn a crowd of 300 travellers away on the morning of a funeral. Fella was probably terrified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭eggy81

The Guards do their job, it's up to the courts to deal with offenders. There was a recent case of a couple who conned two elderly women out of a substantial amount of money. Between the two of them they had over a 100 convictions which means they were arrested the same number of times. What can AGS do if the courts are so soft?
    The guards don’t arrest travelers when they’re in a group. What’s the difference between that and the protesters the other week? They even stormed through a barricade?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It must be a doddle travelling by car/jeep on the ferries. Are there no checks at all I wonder? Travelling by plane seems to be difficult enough.

I have just fired off an email to the FG member representing my constituency. I mailed her because the MOJ is FG. I was polite, set out the facts and asked for her comments. I asked her to resist roundabout and dizzy answers and to answer truthfully.

There are some like me who are at the end of their tether with Covid restrictions, unable to attend funerals of relatives or friends (three in my case), yet these people are untouchable.

Let's see what will happen, nothing I suspect, but I feel better after writing the mail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eggy81 wrote: »
    The guards don’t arrest travelers when they’re in a group. What’s the difference between that and the protesters the other week? They even stormed through a barricade?

Fireworks.

• Advertisement

I have just fired off an email to the FG member representing my constituency. I mailed her because the MOJ is FG. I was polite, set out the facts and asked for her comments. I asked her to resist roundabout and dizzy answers and to answer truthfully.

The MOJ is probably one of the most woke politicians in the world right now, she won't be commenting on this...

The MOJ is probably one of the most woke politicians in the world right now, she won't be commenting on this...

I suspected that, but if I get no reply from the TD I am determined to bombard her with emails until she is blue in the face. We need to let them know what the vast majority are feeling about this two tier society.

Sooner or later, settled people will be the only ones arrested for crime. That is not right just because a cohort of people think (and often know) that they are above the law.

I could strangle Enda Kenny for introducing the Ethnic Status, it is carte blanche for them to use their culture as an excuse for episodes like the funeral. The rest of us keep our heads down, observe the Covid and other laws and pay for them all and their fifteen kids who will perpetuate this dysfunctional and often criminal culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

He went from a total nobody to almost 25% of the vote on election day?

Which gives the clearest insight into how the public really feel about the travelling community...

Is this the WOKE Minister of Justice that recently blamed the far-left for trouble caused by the far-right?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

id say there was some amount of women beating and inbreeding done after

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lucalux wrote: »

martin collins (pavee point) was on morning ireland condemning the funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

martin collins (pavee point) was on this morning condemning the funeral

He didn't do a very good job of it. One or two sentences and then on to the usual distractions and other Covid event stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

DenMan wrote: »
    He didn't do a very good job of it. One or two sentences and then on to the usual distractions and other Covid event stories.

i actually thought he was concise until the presenter gave him an out

Is this the WOKE Minister of Justice that recently blamed the far-left for trouble caused by the far-right?

Not sure haven't been following that, probably :)
    It's the MOJ giving out Irish citizenship to tens of thousands of illegals....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A number of vehicles and pedestrians were turned away at checkpoints on both sides of Attirory but a large number of mourners gathered on foot in a local car park near the estate and rushed at the checkpoint, breaking through.

This is perfectly legal as travellers have the right to invoke the Red Rover clause whenever they choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

My son is in UCC and the guards are all over the students and his college colleagues. They live in student accommodation on collage road and when walking to the shop / takeaway alone or in a pair they are being hassled by the guards and threatened with €100 fines. They are being told they are out too late if it is after 10pm going to the chipper. He recently drove to a location within his 5k to drop a house mate somewhere and was stopped 3 times by 3 different guards within a 10 minute timeframe. It's easy pickings for the guards and lazy policing.

Just for balance, the young lad and his mates were having a few beers in another college mates house last week and the guards called and issued them all €100 fines (they were in breach of regulations, accepted their fines and I don't have an issue with that), this is the third time the guards called knowing the lads lived there. I don't object to them getting the fines but the guards need to treat all members of society equally. Again its lazy policing and easy pickings.

And I do agree that the student scenes witnessed in Limerick recently were wrong, they were severely condemned by all including senior government ministers who all seem to be very quiet today.

I'm on campus a lot too and am hearing all those stories from students too. Easy work is the name of the Garda game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I'm on campus a lot too and am hearing all those stories from students too. Easy work is the name of the Garda game.

Typical from the gardai, an easy collar for them harrassing kids, i work in town near the ccj, and the gardai walk past smack addicts openly dealing on a daily basis and say nout, just like they did nothing at this funeral.

timmyntc wrote: »
    "Everything I don't like is fake"

The spellings give it away. Also the stereotype wording. I have to give it to the Travellers though they do what they want to do and don't let anyone get in there way. Flatten the curve ! Travellers just go straight through !

Typical from the gardai, an easy collar for them harrassing kids, i work in town near the ccj, and the gardai walk past smack addicts openly dealing on a daily basis and say nout, just like they did nothing at this funeral.

Its very hard to get the younger generation to have respect for the Guards if the Guards behave like this towards them.

Read up about the Heroin production and the role of two particular nations in the occupation of Afghanistan. I'm sure you are well aware of how awful and destructive of a drug it is, Evil is the right word for the stuff. Contrast its effects with Cannabis. Yet what drug receives all the Gardaí attention. What drug has increasingly been demonised here in Ireland over the last few years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

DenMan wrote: »

This is his position, what more do you want??

"[My response] is one of shock, huge concern and indeed of huge anger.

"It's a highly contagious, deadly virus - people need to be a lot more responsible, and observe the public health guidelines.

"My message and the message of Pavee Point has been very consistent and clear to Travellers: please avoid large gatherings. It's not acceptable at this time."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/pavee-point-shocked-and-angry-after-large-funeral-in-co-leitrim-1163729

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Anyone know what he died from?

22 years old. Way to young to die. RIP.

This is his position, what more do you want??

"[My response] is one of shock, huge concern and indeed of huge anger.

"It's a highly contagious, deadly virus - people need to be a lot more responsible, and observe the public health guidelines.

"My message and the message of Pavee Point has been very consistent and clear to Travellers: please avoid large gatherings. It's not acceptable at this time."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/pavee-point-shocked-and-angry-after-large-funeral-in-co-leitrim-1163729

If they laugh at the Gardai and the law, it's unlikely they will take any heed of Pavee Point, unless they are using them as advocates to complain about their rights or they are looking for houses with room for a few ponies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ah, lads, have you not figured it out yet? You've seen all the evidence over the years. You should know what the story is by now.

If you go out to work, pay your taxes and obey the law, you are a step or two lower on the social ladder than these people. You should know your place.

If you want this to change, only vote for politicians that have the required cojones to bring about change, because change is sorely needed and the current crop of spin merchants and corrupt windbags are as spineless a bunch of leeches as I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I did a bit of work involving the Travelling community in the past and it gave me a great insight into their lives. The younger ones don’t stand a chance to rise above misery and any of them that do I commend them. It’s a hard job to try and break free from their culture. If you ever get a chance to give one of them a break, please do. Try not to judge the all the same way because a lot of them are very decent and embarrassed by the actions of their peers.

Advertisement