Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The Independent online says AGS confirmed that 2 were arrested and over 80 fines were issued.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/two-arrests-and-80-fined-over-leitrim-funeral-attended-by-hundreds-40189407.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

This is his position, what more do you want??

"[My response] is one of shock, huge concern and indeed of huge anger.

"It's a highly contagious, deadly virus - people need to be a lot more responsible, and observe the public health guidelines.

"My message and the message of Pavee Point has been very consistent and clear to Travellers: please avoid large gatherings. It's not acceptable at this time."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/pavee-point-shocked-and-angry-after-large-funeral-in-co-leitrim-1163729

Please sirs, please don't go to the funeral, that's what he'd say to them. Do you honestly think these people care about Pavee Point? It makes you wonder the amount of stroke and influence they really have within the travelling community as a whole. RTE wheel them out for interviews, but have they any influence at all I wonder. He's quick to tell you who they represent and what they do. Having an influence is another thing altogether and yet they get air time on these such matters. It should work both ways then. In 2017 when they got ethnic recognition then surely a professional body should have been in place to represent them and their dealing with the rest of the country. The settled community that he refers to is the actual state, i.e. the country itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I did a bit of work involving the Travelling community in the past and it gave me a great insight into their lives. The younger ones don’t stand a chance to rise above misery and any of them that do I commend them. It’s a hard job to try and break free from their culture. If you ever get a chance to give one of them a break, please do. Try not to judge the all the same way because a lot of them are very decent and embarrassed by the actions of their peers.

In other news today, one traveller has graduated from a third level institution.
    It's a dated backward culture, fed and maintained by ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's so unfair really. Missed my brothers wedding, haven't met my nephew yet, the most I could do for a good friend's dad dying of COVID recently is stand in the car park in the wind and rain and wave and then go home, but these people get to do what they like.
    I don't blame the Garda though, if they had tried to break it up they would have went nuts and started a riot, and the Garda would be crucified in the media and by politicians for doing anything at all.
    What annoys me the most is the vilification of the student parties and the 99% peaceful protest that went ahead in Dublin recently, and the entirely peaceful one in Cork, and now there's dead silence on this gathering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I did a bit of work involving the Travelling community in the past and it gave me a great insight into their lives. The younger ones don’t stand a chance to rise above misery and any of them that do I commend them. It’s a hard job to try and break free from their culture. If you ever get a chance to give one of them a break, please do. Try not to judge the all the same way because a lot of them are very decent and embarrassed by the actions of their peers.

Offered to do a website free for a traveller group a few years ago after them asking the college I was in. They couldn't be bothered preparing the material needed for the content.

They still don't have one.
    Thankfully I charged for my fuel costs in driving over to them and was paid upfront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The Independent online says AGS confirmed that 2 were arrested and over 80 fines were issued.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/two-arrests-and-80-fined-over-leitrim-funeral-attended-by-hundreds-40189407.html

And I can pretty much guarantee that those fines will not be paid. The behaviour at this funeral is just another slap in the face to the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rules don't apply to them.

Have Pavee Point appeared on any radio shows today to explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Kivaro wrote: »
    And I can pretty much guarantee that those fines will not be paid. The behaviour at this funeral is just another slap in the face to the rest of society.

Agreed.

Could anyone who's fined for breaking restrictions bring a case against the Garda that they are being discriminated against for not being a traveller? Seriously why would anyone pay a fine now when not one of these people will be fined? You can't even fine them anyway as they all have the same names and no addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

In other news today, one traveller has graduated from a third level institution.

Plenty of Travellers in Third Level education. I totally agree though with the last sentence.

Living a life of culture takes it's toll.

To be fair, it was sadly suicide.

It is sad but they don't help themselves by being so insular and narrow minded. Imagine being a young person who felt a bit different to the others or maybe didn't want to live the way they do, could have been the case with this young man who died.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

lucalux wrote: »

the deferential tones of Aine Lawlor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Big traveler funeral ongoing in Galway also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the deferential tones of Aine Lawlor

RTE does a really good job .............. at talking down at us, maybe scolding us would be a better description. As long as we remember that it's always our fault, no matter how much money the country throws at the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »
    Rules don't apply to them.

Have Pavee Point appeared on any radio shows today to explain this?

I owe PP an apology, they did make a statement.

plus middle class WOKE indulgence

traveller lifestyle is conducive to that kind of outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I know a Gardai who was out of training a Gardai after a few weeks.

A friend of mine son was in training in Templemore (i think) but there may be another Training Centre, he was there about 6 weeks and he passed out as Gardai because of Covid... Training over... no previous experience...

They were sent to training stations to do shopping and chemist runs for elderly people, they weren't working as attested Gardai doing investigations.

That's how Gardai used to be trained back 8/9 years ago anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Typical from the gardai, an easy collar for them harrassing kids, i work in town near the ccj, and the gardai walk past smack addicts openly dealing on a daily basis and say nout, just like they did nothing at this funeral.
    Read up about the Heroin production and the role of two particular nations in the occupation of Afghanistan. I'm sure you are well aware of how awful and destructive of a drug it is, Evil is the right word for the stuff. Contrast its effects with Cannabis. Yet what drug receives all the Gardaí attention. What drug has increasingly been demonised here in Ireland over the last few years ?

Mod:

If all you want to do is drag the thread off topic and bash An Garda Siochana then it's probably best neither of you post in this thread anymore.

Can we all stay on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

Be interesting to see how many fines were given out. Not 300 at Limerick party and 30-50 given to students. One law for us.....
    Could be wrong but you need a fixed address for to be issued with a fine. In any event all this rubbish about fines makes me laugh, can be absolutely guaranteed at some stage it will be revealed that percentage of actual fines issued that have been paid will be very small. Listing off number of fines issued is a kop out, it’s fines paid that matter, let’s have some facts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

3 times in the last while I've seen people without masks in petrol stations. All 3 times it's been travellers.

First time was 2 young lads who when challenged about no masks replied with "so you don't want me to pay for the diesel"

Second time was late at night and it was 2 lads who just strolled in and continued to talk away with no concerns about anyone else.

Third time was an Apple green and there was a huge eastern European guy (employee) who told the fellow either put a mask on or he wasn't getting in. Funny he went out to his van and was well able to get a mask.

If they won't comply with the rules then there's no point crying when the covid rips through your community.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

timmyntc wrote: »

No that was a wedding I think, pretty sure not 'essential', not a bother on them at all. Why isn't the priest arrested for facilitating it?

https://twitter.com/MarkDuf41105249/status/1370428192176148482

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

timmyntc wrote: »

Just saw the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mfceiling wrote: »

Third time was an Apple green and there was a huge eastern European guy (employee) who told the fellow either put a mask on or he wasn't getting in. Funny he went out to his van and was well able to get a mask.

This is one of the few things they respect. Someone bigger and stronger.
    They only laugh at weedy male and 5 foot nothing female AGS recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

A thread on one of the three 'T's you can't discuss on boards? I'm surprised it's still going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

If that was college court in Limerick or a republican area of the North Twitter would be on fire. Helen MC is Lucky she's on maternity leave aa she don't have to blame travellers for the lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't blame the Garda though, if they had tried to break it up they would have went nuts and started a riot, and the Garda would be crucified in the media and by politicians for doing anything at all.

You are right that the politicians and media would crucify the Gardai if they went in with battons and arrested 100 of them.

But you know what, the Gardai would have my support and the support of most law abiding people in this country if they did that every time the travellers thought they could ride roughshod over the laws of the country.

• Advertisement

Is Gordon Nchenko’s funeral tomorrow?

Advertisement