Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

no idea twitter tag mb

#Enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I’m surprised this thread is still open, normally the WOKE mods on here close any talk of travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s part of the culture boss

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I’m surprised this thread is still open, normally the WOKE mods on here close any talk of travellers

They have "woken up" lol. They are suffering and obeying the rules like the rest of us, and maybe they have had enough of PC wokeism also.

Good on them anyway for keeping the thread open. Doesn't happen very often when the T word is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Absolutely agree, this wokeism has gone too far now. The media, the establishment and the Gov are together in suppressing discussion about it. Time to fight back, big time.

I sent off my email a few hours ago, it was cathartic. See my post above if you wish!

Ive simply copied and pasted my email to all my local TDs, The Taoiseach, Tanaiste and opposition leaders.

I urge anyone to do the same. This isnt traveller bashing its about equality and fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Tzardine wrote: »
    Because in my own experience, the travelling community by and large, dont care about any laws/regulations. Why would covid restrictions be any different.

But of course, we are not allowed to say that.

I think this is a very important point.

It's the mentality (themselves) that they are different from everyone else, a society within a society, and the laws of the land don't apply to them at all. Because it's not 'them' making the laws of the land, it's 'us', so they don't come under the jurisdiction of 'settled ppl's' laws.

And we have given them reason to believe this, by giving them special status, as an ethnic minority.

It's ironic, that in today's world we talk about inclusivity, when everything the state has done re travellers recently, is to make them ex-clusive. So it's no wonder they feel by right they can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

What was the occupation or business background of the gentleman who died? He most have been very successful, picture on the front page of one of the papers shows his casket.. Not much change out of €15,000 I'd say for it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭50HX

Enough bodies in the curragh to enforce a clamp down on that funeral, like all traveller funerals the dogs on the street no what to expect
    What happened in Carrick was hardly a surprise

Where are CAB and revenue to investigate the cars,lifestyle etc on social welfare and the line from pavee point on "working abroad" ain't washing any longer

The above applies to a lot of settled people also

The difference being settled people aren't given an ethnic minority identity

Years ago there was some level of respect for travellers, back to the making tin pots days, that's long gone as they got handout after handouthe

Boils my piss and I think these actions during a pandemic have made people say enough is enough

As always the working men& women are the worst hit whilst freeloaders sit back and laugh us paying the taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

BattleCorp wrote: »
    And that is why they get away with the sh1t they pull. Nobody brave enough to tackle them.

The nettle will have to be grabbed at some stage.

It's a question of policing and enforcement. Here's an example below: For a week around the 15th August about 500 of them show up in the Dusseldorf/Cologne?Kevelaer area of Germany. The first year they were tolerated, the second they caused more trouble, some of them were arrested, their cars were impounded and they were heavily fined. They got all the cars (bar one) back when fines were paid. Some of them were imprisoned anyway. Third year same story, but they got a fair few slaps and fines were a lot heavier.

Below is what happened the fourth year. They arrived on a Monday, were served papers to leave on the Tuesday morning and were gone Tuesday evening.

Note two things:
    1. Not a single man squares up to, challenges, or shouts abuse at any police.
    2. Not a speck of litter on the ground, they took all their rubbish with them.

This is the same year, but shows the destruction they left in Kevealar (1:03), the older German man they interview said it was just a dreadful drunken party that went on for a week and that he never wants to see an Irish person there again. The last clip is when they interview the Traveller again at 2:14, he's literally getting out of there as fast as he can as he's in fear of being arrested (his quote).

It's about fear and respect. Remember how many hard core English football hooligans showed up in Russia at the World Cup in 2018? Yes. None.

Only the ordinary fans showed up and there was no real trouble there. They never showed up out of fear, knowing the Russian gangs would beat the crap out of them, then the police and courts would finish them off.

It's a question of respect mixed with fear. The section of Travellers here that cause trouble have no respect for the laws of this country as they have nothing to fear when they break them.

KevRossi wrote: »
    It's a question of policing and enforcement. Here's an example below: For a week around the 15th August about 500 of them show up in the Dusseldorf/Cologne?Kevelaer area of Germany. The first year they were tolerated, the second they caused more trouble, some of them were arrested, their cars were impounded and they were heavily fined. They got all the cars (bar one) back when fines were paid. Some of them were imprisoned anyway. Third year same story, but they got a fair few slaps and fines were a lot heavier.

Below is what happened the fourth year. They arrived on a Monday, were served papers to leave on the Tuesday morning and were gone Tuesday evening.

Note two things:

This is the same year, but shows the destruction they left in Kevealar (1:03), the older German man they interview said it was just a dreadful drunken party that went on for a week and that he never wants to see an Irish person there again. The last clip is when they interview the Traveller again at 2:14, he's literally getting out of there as fast as he can as he's in fear of being arrested (his quote).

It's about fear and respect. Remember how many hard core English football hooligans showed up in Russia at the World Cup in 2018? Yes. None.

Only the ordinary fans showed up and there was no real trouble there. They never showed up out of fear, knowing the Russian gangs would beat the crap out of them, then the police and courts would finish them off.

It's a question of respect mixed with fear. The section of Travellers here that cause trouble have no respect for the laws of this country as they have nothing to fear when they break them.

The hooligans being banned didn't play a part then?

• Advertisement

Just emailed my local tds there

In fairness ive sent a couple of emails and received responses so it can work

What action was taken as a result of the mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

KevRossi wrote: »

Note two things:

Imagine the traveller whatsapp group

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No free legal aid in Germany.

Nor bail.

And prison and proper sentences for all.

Maybe people should write and complain to the ‘new’ ex NI garda commissioner - might be worth a stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The funeral happened in the same area Paul Reid is from. He has been quite vocal on his many interviews on RTE that people stick to the restrictions and guidelines. I wonder will he even be asked to comment when he is on next. Id say his jaw would drop and he just wouldnt know what to say.
    They are a complete law unto themselves and i read comments saying its the courts that wont deal with it which is true but what Guard wants the hassle of arresting them and bringing them to the attention of them and their family? Im open to correction but has a single traveller been convicted of any Covid19 fines in the last year? Even one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The funeral happened in the same area Paul Reid is from. He has been quite vocal on his many interviews on RTE that people stick to the restrictions and guidelines. I wonder will he even be asked to comment when he is on next. Id say his jaw would drop and he just wouldnt know what to say.
    They are a complete law unto themselves and i read comments saying its the courts that wont deal with it which is true but what Guard wants the hassle of arresting them and bringing them to the attention of them and their family? Im open to correction but has a single traveller been convicted of any Covid19 fines in the last year? Even one?

I don't know the answer to your question but you've hit the nail on the head when you say what guard would want to bring that attention onto themselves. Dangerous bastards to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I always believed that there was discrimination against the travelling community in ireland however after seeing this on the news tonight I think now its justified. They really are giving us all the 2 fingers...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Funny thing is I will go out tomorrow to buy groceries and will have to pass my usual Garda checkpoint less than 5km from my house to explain where and why I am making the journey. I strongly feel like telling them to go fook themselves and stop policing those fully complying with regulations like criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wait till they get it and they'll all be in the hospital.

The whole extended family in tow.

Very few travellers have died from Covid.
    Mainly because there are very very few aged 75 and over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Very few travellers have died from Covid.
    Mainly because there are very very few aged 75 and over.....

The normally hang themselves before they reach 75 or get shot in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Funny thing is I will go out tomorrow to buy groceries and will have to pass my usual Garda checkpoint less than 5km from my house to explain where and why I am making the journey. I strongly feel like telling them to go fook themselves and stop policing those fully complying with regulations like criminals.

Please try that the next time you go through it, see how that works out for you lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Witcher wrote: »
    Please try that the next time you go through it, see how that works out for you lol

I will report back tomorrow at circa 5pm for a request for bail money :D

How would they know who is compliant and who isn't without checks? This isn't ankh morpork, criminals don't leave cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Lots of respect for the rules.

Presume this is ok as it's on a public facebook page.

Absolute cxxxxs

No free legal aid in Germany.

Nor bail.

And prison and proper sentences for all.

Maybe people should write and complain to the ‘new’ ex NI garda commissioner - might be worth a stamp.

The Germans actually invented legal aid

Bail is common

The German police have no detention powers without warrant

Sentencing in Germany is considered lenient by european standards

But apart from all of that, you were spot on

The govt. are cowards. Like every govt. before them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The mods do a good job. It's when the two extremes start at each other the threads get closed down.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I always believed that there was discrimination against the travelling community in ireland however after seeing this on the news tonight I think now its justified. They really are giving us all the 2 fingers...

Discrimination?
    The opposite is true.
    They are treated more favourably than non-travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Lots of respect for the rules.

Presume this is ok as it's on a public facebook page.

That bit about your taxes will pay for my legal aid made my blood boil... Assuming it's not a troll

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think this is a very important point.

It's the mentality (themselves) that they are different from everyone else, a society within a society, and the laws of the land don't apply to them at all. Because it's not 'them' making the laws of the land, it's 'us', so they don't come under the jurisdiction of 'settled ppl's' laws.

And we have given them reason to believe this, by giving them special status, as an ethnic minority.

It's ironic, that in today's world we talk about inclusivity, when everything the state has done re travellers recently, is to make them ex-clusive. So it's no wonder they feel by right they can do what they like.

If they don't come under the jurisdiction then they should receive no benefits/services. Quite simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Paul Reid has already come out and strongly condemned it, he was one of the first

Advertisement