Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Paul Reid has already come out and strongly condemned it, he was one of the first

Never mind condemning.
    What's gonna be done about it?
    Should never have been allowed to leave Dublin port/Dún Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Treat travellers as they treat you, learned that a few years back after a nightclub, woke up the following morning quite pleased with my actions even though i had been arrested for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheRealPONeill

Tzardine wrote: »
    Because in my own experience, the travelling community by and large, dont care about any laws/regulations. Why would covid restrictions be any different.

But of course, we are not allowed to say that.

You were doing so well until "But of course, we are not allowed to say that"

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Tzardine wrote: »
    Remember what happened to Peter Casey when he was critical of the travellers.

No politician is going to criticize the travelling community publicly.

Ya his ratings soared and he nearly became president.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Macdarack wrote:

Yup, we 're well capable of going full retard at voting time, just like the us and the UK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This is why they get away with their behaviour,just let them do it in case attitude.

Same attitude in the social welfare offices. Just give it to them and get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

At least we can’t accuse the Irish media of ignoring events like this... Pat ‘tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime’ Kenny gave it 43 seconds of his three hour show yesterday - bravely reading a factual Garda report regarding the alleged event.

Perhaps we would hear more from Pat about this valuable section of our society if SDCC were to apply for planning to house them on Gorse Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

minikin wrote: »
    At least we can’t accuse the Irish media of ignoring events like this... Pat ‘tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime’ Kenny gave it 43 seconds of his three hour show yesterday - bravely reading a factual Garda report regarding the alleged event.

Perhaps we would hear more from Pat about this valuable section of our society if SDCC were to apply for planning to house them on Gorse Hill.

This is the thing, Travellers are largely a rural and Western thing, with some in Northside of towns and cities.

If they were camping in the leafy Suburbs the views would be different in Progressives and modern left circles.

Not all Travellers of course but the violence, robbery, littering, anti social behaviour that comes with them, from a very large minority makes people fear them and you'd be s fool not to fear them, repeated experience teaches a hard lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

BattleCorp wrote: »
    And that is why they get away with the sh1t they pull. Nobody brave enough to tackle them.

The nettle will have to be grabbed at some stage.

The problem with nettles: the longer you leave them the bigger they grow and the harder they become to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KaiserLu

Part of their culture boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Witcher wrote: »
    They were sent to training stations to do shopping and chemist runs for elderly people, they weren't working as attested Gardai doing investigations.

That's how Gardai used to be trained back 8/9 years ago anyway.

The guy i mention passed out as a Gardai after 6/8 weeks.
    How can an organization like this be taken as a serious police force...
    Apprentice Garda after passing out...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You may not have heard but there was a significant global crisis in the last 12 months.

The training doesn't end there

The training doesn't end there

Passing out person is Gardai... Training never ends as part of life...

Danzy wrote: »
    You may not have heard but there was a significant global crisis in the last 12 months.

So that means we stop and do not have not have proper trained people?
    Maybe you think that all Leaving cert students should be allowed go to College without proper exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Covid21

Travellers are a law to themselves, I blame the Gardai and Government

Having worked in a retail store for over 10 years, I have found 99% of Travellers trouble.

Stealing
    Making Personal injury claims
    And lately refusing to wear masks

The Garda are afraid of them and the judges are way too lenient when it comes to sentencing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Covid21 wrote: »
    Travellers are a law to themselves, I blame the Gardai and Government

Having worked in a retail store for over 10 years, I have found 99% of Travellers trouble.

Stealing
    Making Personal injury claims
    And lately refusing to wear masks

The Garda are afraid of them and the judges are way too lenient when it comes to sentencing

Yes the Gardai are afraid of them.....that's how a significant proportion of them have convictions running into the hundreds. I wonder who is bringing them before the courts on all these occasions....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Macdarack wrote: »

Nearly, aye. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

0010e6d2-521.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought this kind of thing was allowed.
    I was under the impression travellers had minority status and they were allowed to do things according to their culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I thought this kind of thing was allowed.
    I was under the impression travellers had minority status and they were allowed to do things according to their culture.

The state claims the law knows no favour. Apparently that's bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Missed the 9 news last night, was it reported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nearly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

0010e6d2-521.jpg

On a different note it was nice of M. Higgins to keep his word when he said he was only seeking one term.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

NIMAN wrote: »
    Missed the 9 news last night, was it reported?

haha

You can still find rte's coverage if you go to the rte.ie and search for funeral, then rank them by date, you'd almost think they dont want people to know about it. Blank article, no mention of travellers just a link to the radio clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nearly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

0010e6d2-521.jpg

He still gave right-on folks a bit of a fright after their initial disdain.
    He only reflected the opinions of a large portion of the population and posters on this thread only he wasn't afraid to voice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I wonder if Brendan o’Conner will mention it. Just tuned in now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

0010e6d2-521.jpg

To be fair to Mr Casey. He started off on the lowest in the opinion polls.
    He then made his comments and rose to where he did.
    Also look at the percentage of the vote he got . In areas that would often be associated with travellers.
    Also I know he didn’t get elected in the European Elections ether but can you remember how smug Tubridy was doing the exit poll and it showed people like Saoirse McHugh did better than him but in reality she didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I wonder if Brendan o’Conner will mention it. Just tuned in now

Not a chance.

However if it was Sinn Fein funeral he'd be all over it like a rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

0010e6d2-521.jpg

He went from being at under 1% in the polls, to gaining over 20% of total votes, simply by coming out with an anti traveller remark.

The Taoiseach at the time asked voters to send Casey a clear message about what they thought of the remarks and the people duly obliged. Anyone I know who voted for him didn't do so because he would make a great President, it was simply sending a message about their thoughts.

He managed to do even better in places with large traveller populations. Why do you think that is? The greatest defenders of their behaviour generally comes from areas where they have little to no interaction with them in their day to day lives.

Here's an article from an area of high traveller population showing Casey topping the pole. Behind a pay wall but you will get the jist of it.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/344910/higgins-re-elected-but-longford-voters-back-casey.html

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

0010e6d2-521.jpg

The media did a number on caseys increasing popularity leading into the final week, they released 2 week old poll results on that last week which showed Casey at 1%, well after his traveller comments which was very sinister, making Casey look like he wasn't gaining traction. People who think travellers are low lives are "full retards".? It's mostly from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Super_Sonic - don't post in the thread again.

Advertisement