Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller funeral in Carrick on Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

eeepaulo wrote: »
    haha

You can still find rte's coverage if you go to the rte.ie and search for funeral, then rank them by date, you'd almost think they dont want people to know about it. Blank article, no mention of travellers just a link to the radio clip.

It's mentioned here with photos..

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0312/1203513-covid-main/

RTE to my knowledge didn't report on this which at the time was all over social media https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/it-was-nothing-fancy-gardai-break-up-post-match-dinner-of-around-30-people-from-roscommon-gaa-39613486.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Typical from the gardai, an easy collar for them harrassing kids, i work in town near the ccj, and the gardai walk past smack addicts openly dealing on a daily basis and say nout, just like they did nothing at this funeral.

You expect 3/4 guards to stop 300 people charging through a checkpoint?
    Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nearly, aye. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No poll results were issued in the 10 days from when Casey made that remark up until the election. And unprecedented in Irish politics over the past 20 years since regular polling became a thing. Very odd don't you think?

But polls were being carried out, just the results were not being released. The only true sign he was doing well is that his odds on finishing second went from 100/1 down to 40/1 to 16/1 in the week before the election. He eventually ended out odds on to finish second.

So why not release the polls? Maybe they were afraid that they'd see he was gathering momentum. Once other people see this they are far more likely to give him a vote. I doubt very much he would have won, but Higgins would not have been elected on the first count either. It stinks either way and it's something the media don't like to mention.

And BTW he got 23.2% of the vote, not 20.2% as in your graphic, no idea where you got that.

EDIT: Your graphic is the exit poll, real first preferences were:

Higgins 55.8%
    Casey 23.3%
    Gallagher 6.4%
    Ní Riada 6.4%
    Freeman 6.0%
    Duffy 2.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

0010e6d2-521.jpg

Against one of the most inoffensive likeable presidential candidates who was the incumbent , getting more votes than every other candidate combined on the back of one comment was impressive.

If an actual skilled orator and experienced politician was to espouse anti traveller sentiment and avoid the anti abortion vote sink they would romp home in an election anywhere outside dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

As Taoiseach I wish to now formally recognise Travellers as a distinct ethnic group within the Irish nation.

It is a historic day for our Travellers and a proud day for Ireland

Enda Kenny 1st March 2017

As distinct ethnic group they should have distinct language, religion, origin, sometimes also different dna. From what I had read they are totally Irish by ancestry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭beachhead

If you could back up this by posting the links when you see them, that would be great thanks.

Any kind of response here will be good for generating high posting number by poster.Doesn't have to be logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

KevRossi wrote: »
    No poll results were issued in the 10 days from when Casey made that remark up until the election. And unprecedented in Irish politics over the past 20 years since regular polling became a thing. Very odd don't you think?

But polls were being carried out, just the results were not being released. The only true sign he was doing well is that his odds on finishing second went from 100/1 down to 40/1 to 16/1 in the week before the election. He eventually ended out odds on to finish second.

So why not release the polls? Maybe they were afraid that they'd see he was gathering momentum. Once other people see this they are far more likely to give him a vote. I doubt very much he would have won, but Higgins would not have been elected on the first count either. It stinks either way and it's something the media don't like to mention.

And BTW he got 23.2% of the vote, not 20.2% as in your graphic, no idea where you got that.

EDIT: Your graphic is the exit poll, real first preferences were:

Higgins 55.8%
    Casey 23.3%
    Gallagher 6.4%
    Ní Riada 6.4%
    Freeman 6.0%
    Duffy 2.2%

And wasn't he on a very low figure, something like 4% when he made the comment, which suggests 16%+ liked his comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

So that means we stop and do not have not have proper trained people?
    Maybe you think that all Leaving cert students should be allowed go to College without proper exam?

Sometimes, nearly always at some point, reality comes crashing through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Out of interest, the houses in Tipperary That his comments centred around, are they still vacant of did the famalies who were getting them for free get the investment they wanted to make them of their required standard?

I'm of the opinion(which can't possibly be proven without antibody tests) that they'd have near blanket immunity now as no social distancing has been observed within the circles within which they move for the last year so you can complain that they don't conform to the norms of wider society but they've done most of the damage that they are going to do now with respect to this spread of the virus.
    The same goes for other groups who don't socially distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

0010e6d2-521.jpg

Left bottom of the post =Exit poll
    Question is why did the media hold back on the most recent poll results, who told them to hold back? I can understand RTE doing it but newstalk? I actually rang their news department to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The greatest judgement and bullying against travellers comes from within

Try be a young traveller and you want to tell your family you are gay.

No wonder suicide is so high

That does though depend on how the person is with their fists. There are plenty of Gay Travellers that can handle themselves but a soft gentle Traveller who is Gay will get problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm of the opinion(which can't possibly be proven without antibody tests) that they'd have near blanket immunity now as no social distancing has been observed within the circles within which they move for the last year so you can complain that they don't conform to the norms of wider society but they've done most of the damage that they are going to do now with respect to this spread of the virus.
    The same goes for other groups who don't socially distance.

That would be fine if they operate within a sealed bubble, which they obviously don't.
    They still buy groceries, petrol and diesel and go where most everyone else goes.

That would be fine if they operate within a sealed bubble, which they obviously don't.
    They still buy groceries, petrol and diesel and go where most everyone else goes.
    The damage has been done long since.

Macdarack wrote: »
    Question is why did the media hold back on the most recent poll results, who told them to hold back? I can understand RTE doing it but newstalk? I actually rang their news department to complain.

Yes exit poll, i believe caseys final tally was close to 24%

Was the big wedding in Salthill a Traveller wedding too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Was the big wedding in Salthill a Traveller wedding too?

Yes

Danzy wrote: »
    Yes

Thought so. They are the one group who would brazen it out. Shameful behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Tzardine wrote: »
    Because in my own experience, the travelling community by and large, dont care about any laws/regulations. Why would covid restrictions be any different.

But of course, we are not allowed to say that.

How this is allowed on here is beyond me, if you took out Traveller and replaced it with Muslim, Black Person, Catholic or Protestant it wouldn't be allowed.

celt262 wrote: »
    Are you ok boss?

I'm fine and I'm not your boss. FYI I am a settled Person and I know for a fact you wouldn't speak to a Traveller like that offline and in the real World. But you continue to act hard virtually it will get you far, in your own head.

• Advertisement

I'm fine and I'm not your boss. FYI I am a settled Person and I know for a fact you wouldn't speak to a Traveller like that offline and in the real World. But you continue to act hard virtually it will get you far, in your own head.

And what repercussions would that poster fear that would deter them from speaking to a traveller like that in the real world...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

This is not a thread to bring up the George N'Chenko funeral - try and derail the thread like that again and this one will be locked

And what repercussions would that poster fear that would deter them from speaking to a traveller like that in the real world...

We will never know because he will never do it and that's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What polls were held back?

What polls were held back?

Opinion Polls from local newspapers around the country ,lo Al radio stations. boards.ie, the journal, etc. a lot of outlets did opinion polls and Casey actually lead a lot but none of caseys traction and gains got airtime.

Here's one for example

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Here's one for example

Casey was the only one who told the truth when asked if he'd mind having a halting site next to him. The other fcukheads told lies.

There's not a normal right-minded person who would look forward to having a halting site next to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

The guy i mention passed out as a Gardai after 6/8 weeks.
    How can an organization like this be taken as a serious police force...
    Apprentice Garda after passing out...

The Trainee Gardai that have passed out are not finished with their training. Although they have their official powers they will only have the basic training needed to provide basic support to their new colleagues.
    They will still have to return to the college for several more weeks and remain probationers undergoing constant assesmwnt on the job (generally the from day 1 in college until.end of probationary period is roughly 2 years)

The in the job training will be in specific training stations with tutor Gardai assigned to new Gardai.
    These new Gardai will first spend several weeks only observing and not taking on any files or investigations. Following that they will turn to an assisting role but will still have limited types of incidents assigned to them. Finally they will take up an active assisted role where they will take up files and investigations.
    During all this they will have to attend CPD classes and will have to attend constant supervisory meetings to ensure they are progressing.
    It's a long time before they get that 'probationer monkey' off their back, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your view) the probationers wear the exact same uniform as fully trained Gardai so you won't know one to see one.

The training is backed by the UL.
    It has changed because of demands for bodies due to Covid but there is no Gardai attested after a few weeks who is not still a probationer and still undergoing training.

I'm sure the guy you know will tell you they are not finished their training by a long shot if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Opinion Polls from local newspapers around the country ,lo Al radio stations. boards.ie, the journal, etc. a lot of outlets did opinion polls and Casey actually lead a lot but none of caseys traction and gains got airtime.
    Here's one for example

So link them? You seriously saying he lead any reputable poll? And i mean a proper scientific poll. Any others (esp the one you have posted) are worthless which is probably why national media didnt report them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Against one of the most inoffensive likeable presidential candidates who was the incumbent , getting more votes than every other candidate combined on the back of one comment was impressive.

If an actual skilled orator and experienced politician was to espouse anti traveller sentiment and avoid the anti abortion vote sink they would romp home in an election anywhere outside dublin

Casey could actually have run Higgins really close if he wasn't such a terrible public speaker. He appeared to be all at sea most of the time.

Advertisement