Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris Wilder set to leave Sheffield Utd

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

When you clash with the owner while results are poor, then only one thing is going to happen. https://www.football365.com/news/chris-wilder-future-sheff-utd-under-threat-owner-clashes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The 3 strikers he signed for £50m have scored 1 goal between them in the games they played in this season.

Then he signed the worst goalkeeper in the league for £20m.

His signings haven’t worked and cost them it’s time for a change there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They'll be competitive in the Championship so someone will get a pretty decent gig at a large club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Who will the replacement be?

"Frank Lampard's Sheff Utd" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "Frank Lampard's Chelsea" or "Frank Lampard's Derby".
    Maybe they'll promote Jagielka to Player/Manager

He signed Jack Rodwell on free played him for two games and hasn’t played him since also made him one of the highest paid players at the club.

He played 15 minutes in a premier league game last season and 60 minutes in an FA Cup game.

Rodwell isn’t injured and has not even once made a premier league squad list this season.

Rodwell has played less than 100 games since he moved to Sunderland in 2014 he in no way deserved to get paid more than the players that got Utd promoted and had a top 10 finish.

I’d say that alone might have hurt moral at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Thought he did a great job to get them up and their performances last year were phenomenal. Think losing Henderson was massive especially with the replacement they bought in, wasn't good at Bournemouth and has reinforced that view this year. Has the odd good game but totally unreliabe. I liked Wilder, very old school but his team always gave 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I thought they might stick with him and see could he bring them straight back up, but his transfer dealings were terrible so I guess he lost the confidence of the board/owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Wilder is the definition of a media darling.

Gotten a complete free pass this season despite his team being utter ****e and his transfer dealings being beyond awful.

Now that he's been deservedly sacked you can be absolutely certain that the same media will blame the big bad foreign owner.

If he wasn't an "old fashioned" English manager he'd have been hounded out last November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gotten a complete free pass this season despite his team being utter ****e and his transfer dealings being beyond awful.

Now that he's been deservedly sacked you can be absolutely certain that the same media will blame the big bad foreign owner.

If he wasn't an "old fashioned" English manager he'd have been hounded out last November.

Even with their bad buys, with the injuries they've gotten at the back they've been fairly doomed from the start this season. They were totally expected to go straight back down to the Championship last season, but stayed up almost entirely because of the innovative way he had his defensive line supporting build up play. With that gone, they were kind of reduced back to their distinct parts, which were always gonna be found wanting.

Think it's a bit of an odd decision to let him go now, when with that squad and the defenders coming back at the end of the season, they'd be in great shape to come right back up - for instance someone like Brewster isn't scoring in the Prem, but we already know from his time with Swansea that he'll likely be banging them in in the Championship. But I guess they must be looking at a longer term rebuild or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

If they know who they want to get in and get him in, its not odd to let him go IMO. Get the new man in now, has time to work with the team ahead of pre-season, has time to decide who needs to stay and go and has time to get transfer targets in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Think it's a bit of an odd decision to let him go now, when with that squad and the defenders coming back at the end of the season, they'd be in great shape to come right back up - for instance someone like Brewster isn't scoring in the Prem, but we already know from his time with Swansea that he'll likely be banging them in in the Championship. But I guess they must be looking at a longer term rebuild or something.

The big question for me would be whether you could trust him to keep them in the premiership again even if he did get them promoted. I would feel very uncomfortable giving him a load more more to invest in the squad given his current track record as well. There's enough managers at his level that it isn't worth the risk imo.

Fans seem to be on Wilder's side in the Wilder vs. Prince showdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's one of those where it all depends on who they go for next really, before we know if it's a good or bad move.

Everyone (myself included) thought Adkins got a bit shafted when Southampton sacked him a few years back, despite him bringing them up and having them outside the relegation zone - but they instated Pochetino and powered onwards in short order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

He signed Jack Rodwell on free played him for two games and hasn’t played him since also made him one of the highest paid players at the club.

He played 15 minutes in a premier league game last season and 60 minutes in an FA Cup game.

Rodwell isn’t injured and has not even once made a premier league squad list this season.

Rodwell has played less than 100 games since he moved to Sunderland in 2014 he in no way deserved to get paid more than the players that got Utd promoted and had a top 10 finish.

I’d say that alone might have hurt moral at the club.

Where did u see that about him being one of the highest paid? Id heard the opposite that he was on peanuts and just wanted to try get his career back on track.

They should have stuck with him, the time to sack him was early season when they were struggling. His signings were poor but the thing is they should all do well in championship, he is best man to get them back imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I think him keeping them up was a miracle. Alot of those players were there in league one, hes got a free pass because he has done an incredible job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Last season's success was built on very fine margins, they must have won more points by one goal be it scored or conceded than any other. Losing Henderson was massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The 3 strikers he signed for £50m have scored 1 goal between them in the games they played in this season.

Then he signed the worst goalkeeper in the league for £20m.

His signings haven’t worked and cost them it’s time for a change there.

Same with Howe.

Thats what gave Dyche the edge over both imo and prevented him being sacked when they were relegated. He hadn't wasted a bucketload of money.

O'Connell was the huge lose moreso than Henderson for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great coach that was let down by injuries and events in the transfer market. Their success the previous two seasons was built on the back line of Basham, Egan and O'Connell in front of Henderson. Now 3/4 of them are out of the picture and the results speak for themselves.

I could see him doing well in international management as he has a knack for getting the most out of limited players. I can think of one country in particular that could use a man with such talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Saved Northampton Town from going out of business, by helping persuade the chairman to sell, after staff went unpaid for months, then kept us up, then stormed the League Two Championship (a huge rarity for the Cobblers!) before leaving for Sheffield United. So I'm sorry he's lost his dream job.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Malachi Raspy Pinprick

Great coach that was let down by injuries and events in the transfer market. Their success the previous two seasons was built on the back line of Basham, Egan and O'Connell in front of Henderson. Now 3/4 of them are out of the picture and the results speak for themselves.

I could see him doing well in international management as he has a knack for getting the most out of limited players. I can think of one country in particular that could use a man with such talents.

i dont think Southgate's doing a bad job tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wales?

Advertisement