Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on how to tackle the smell of weed/cigarettes coming from nextdoor neighbo

Options
  • 12-03-2021 11:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37

Hi everyone,

To give anyone who reads my post some context,
    We are renting an apartment at the moment.

Our nextdoor neighbours moved in about two weeks ago.
    On the day they moved in, they had a weed party.

It was so bad it seeped through our door and to our living room.

I reported the issue to my letting agent and the management company notified the neighbour's owner.

Since then, a weed party hasn't happened but the unpleasant smell of weed/cigarettes mixed with some cleaning product is still noticeable (I suspect they are still smoking inside their unit).

I asked my letting agent again but they said they had no influence over asking the neighbour's owner cleaning the property or sealing their door.

And the management company is busy dealing with trees as they think trees are more important than the corridor between us that has an awful smell and the broken window.

I get a headache everytime I go out as we have to walk past their door to get outside.

We have a small child and my husband has asthma.

Does anyone have any tips on what we can do/how we can eliminate the smell from our end as in any spray or detergent that works for this kind of smell?

It's hard to explain but we find talking to the neighbours directly uncomfortable especially with these neighbours.

We are urgently looking to move but finding a place in Dublin will take a while.

Thanks in advance,
    Bubbletea21

This post is about the products I can use for the corridor to eliminate the smell as I mentioned earlier.

I don't tolerate any bullying or harassment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jamon_serrano

Hopefully saying the obvious but did you try talking to your neighbor? We had a similar situation with cigarette smell and after talking with them the smell stopped. Hoping your neighbors are even more considered given you have a child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Bubbletea21

Hopefully saying the obvious but did you try talking to your neighbor? We had a similar situation with cigarette smell and after talking with them the smell stopped. Hoping your neighbors are even more considered given you have a child.

Hmmm we'd rather not actually as they are undesirables and we have a child... (hard to explain) they are aware that their behaviour is antisocial as they were told about it by their landlord and the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

HI OP

the 1st thing i would say is you should not have a say in what your neighbours smoke or don't smoke inside their apartment. They are entitled to the enjoyment of their home, under what is known as covenant of quiet enjoyment.

Having a weed party, could IMO fall outside of that 'peaceful enjoyment', but as they have not repeated that behaviour since, its probably a one off. i would consider the smoking of any weed, legal or not to inside their home to be an issue for them and them alone, and not subject to anyone's approval.

So should you be entitled to the enjoyment of your home.

But i is not the tenants fault if the building is constructed in such a way that the act of smoking cigarettes on one unit adversely impacts on your unit. If there is a broken window, it should and can be fixed, under existing arrangements in the building and within a reasonable time frame. Could it have been broken before tenants moved in? The quality of construction would impact on smoke escaping out of the door etc, but if smoke gets out then it suggest draught gets in too, and that would be indicative of poor construction & insulation. And the tenants next door are no more responsible for that than you are.

I personally have never smoked, and certainly dont like the smell etc. - just for the record.

here is an article i read OP
    https://food52.com/blog/24510-what-to-do-about-apartment-smells

It suggests that neighbourly relationships and civil discussion is the best way to tackle the issue. I would agree. Get to know your neighbours, and see if you can agree mitigation methods, like them smoking in a different room - but this approach is not the enforcement approach that you seem to have explored its more a mutual agreement one.

HI OP

the 1st thing i would say is you should not have a say in what your neighbours smoke or don't smoke inside their apartment. They are entitled to the enjoyment of their home, under what is known as covenant of quiet enjoyment.

Having a weed party, could IMO fall outside of that 'peaceful enjoyment', but as they have not repeated that behaviour since, its probably a one off. i would consider the smoking of any weed, legal or not to inside their home to be an issue for them and them alone, and not subject to anyone's approval.

But i is not the tenants fault if the building is constructed in such a way that the act of smoking cigarettes on one unit adversely impacts on your unit. If there is a broken window, it should and can be fixed, under existing arrangements in the building and within a reasonable time frame. Could it have been broken before tenants moved in? The quality of construction would impact on smoke escaping out of the door etc, but if smoke gets out then it suggest draught gets in too, and that would be indicative of poor construction & insulation. And the tenants next door are no more responsible for that than you are.

I personally have never smoked, and certainly dont like the smell etc. - just for the record.

It suggests that neighbourly relationships and civil discussion is the best way to tackle the issue. I would agree. Get to know your neighbours, and see if you can agree mitigation methods, like them smoking in a different room - but this approach is not the enforcement approach that you seem to have explored its more a mutual agreement one.

Actually the house rules state that they shouldn't do anything "illegal" (well smoking weed is technically illegal but not strictly punished in Ireland) and do antisocial things that cause nuisance to other dwellings (such as their behaviour).

The thing is they are aware of this issue.

Honestly hard to explain but they aren't the type who would listen. Them having a weed party and smoking inside when the lease and the house rules mention not to to do it made me not want to take the route.

And I'm not from Ireland so maybe my view on this issue is different to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

House rules don’t preclude them from smoking weed. Illegal activities yes. I think part of problem is your view of them as a lower class who you couldn’t possibly talk to. You might not like it talking to them is the only way. Explain your situation with child and how bad the smell can be in your apartment. But to be honest they’re doing it in their apartment so nothing more they can really do. It’s not a management company or landlord issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux

Are there windows in the corridor? Could you open them/ask the landlord to open them and keep them open?

No harm having common areas ventilated with the Covid advice we have at the moment imo.

House rules don’t preclude them from smoking weed. Illegal activities yes. I think part of problem is your view of them as a lower class who you couldn’t possibly talk to. You might not like it talking to them is the only way. Explain your situation with child and how bad the smell can be in your apartment. But to be honest they’re doing it in their apartment so nothing more they can really do. It’s not a management company or landlord issue.

I've never said they are a lower class. They are intimidating to me. Where I'm from, we don't categorise people as a lower class or upper class. We don't have such a word and we hardly ever come across people who smoke weed. My letting agent and the management company agree that what they are doing is illegal and antisocial.

And the intension of this thread was to ask if someone knows a spray or detergent that works for the smell anyway so I can use it for the corridor.

lucalux wrote: »
    Are there windows in the corridor? Could you open them/ask the landlord to open them and keep them open?

No harm having common areas ventilated with the Covid advice we have at the moment imo.

Yeah there is but the window handle is broken. The window is slightly open tho.

The management company is aware of this but they are too busy dealing with trees and don't have time to fix the window unfortunately.

There seems to be misunderstanding about my post. Please read the whole thing. This post isn't about discussing the particular drug. It's about how to eliminate the smell from my end.

Not everyone who uses this site is from western countries where it's not uncommon to come across people like my particular neighbours.

To me they are intimidating and they are breaching the rules, therefore I talked to my letting agent about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Is there carpet in the corridor that could be holding on to the smell? If so, I'd suggest sprinkling some baking soda (or a carpet product which can be applied dry), leave for a half hour and then vacuum off.

• Advertisement

nothing wrote: »
    Is there carpet in the corridor that could be holding on to the smell? If so, I'd suggest sprinkling some baking soda (or a carpet product which can be applied dry), leave for a half hour and then vacuum off.

Yes there is. Thanks for the info. I'll look for it next time I go to a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

Yes there is. Thanks for the info. I'll look for it next time I go to a supermarket.

Also look up Ona gel and other deodorizer products - weed growers use their products to disguise the smell of plants in flower, so using some in the hallway should clear up the smell for you if thats the main concern currently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

HI OP

+1

Why people cannot just knock on their neighbours door instead of calling the authorities is beyond me.

Yeah there is but the window handle is broken. The window is slightly open tho.

The management company is aware of this but they are too busy dealing with trees and don't have time to fix the window unfortunately.

I think this is something you'd be worth pressing them on.

It's a very small maintenance job, and regardless of the smell of weed, it is government health advice that shared areas should be ventilated more to help with the risk of Covid transmission in enclosed spaces
    If the window is broken there's probably something in your lease that says the management agency has to do repairs in a timely manner. You might check that if you have your lease documents, and quote it to them in the email.

Hammer down that point. Even if it is weed, and fair enough you don't like it, I've lived in places where I've had to deal with cooking smells or BO or whatever other smells lingering around in common areas or hallways. It's not pleasant, but easily remedied in most situations.

Email or call (preferable to email, as you have records) anyone you have contact details for, i.e. your landlord, or the management company, and say it has already been brought to their attention and that you are requesting the job be done in a timely fashion.
    Be polite and emphasise the health side of things.

On the other side of things, if you don't feel comfortable knocking in to your neighbour for whatever reason, if you thought it would do any good you could slip a note (anonymously if you like) under the door saying something along the lines, of

"hey, the weed smell is pretty strong in the corridors, maybe it's not you guys and sorry if not, but if it is, maybe you guys could open your windows a bit more to help ventilate the space better? For everyone who lives on this floor, please and thanks etc"

Not saying it'll be taken well, but *maybe* they don't realise/don't notice it, and so *perhaps* they'd rather not have the fact that they're smoking to be so obvious. You never know, but at least you could consider that.

For the meantime, try opening the window further even if the handle is broken. If the window is just stuck, try using something like WD40 on the handle/hinges maybe.

As above see about bicarbonate of soda for the carpet, and run the hoover over it.
    Carpet powder type cleaners in the supermarket can be heavily fragranced which can mask the smell.

Febreze spray is supposed to neutralise odours in fabrics/carpets, so you could try that (not when doing the bicarb of soda, the carpet needs to be dry for that).

If the carpet is actually dirty, ask landlord/management about having it professionally cleaned, maybe further down the line. Carpets do hold on to smells, but that can be remedied too.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Just buy a draft excluder if it's coming under your door like this:

https://guineys.ie/new-arrivals/dog-draught-excluder-by-country-club.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA4rGCBhAQEiwAelVti6BdhSmZtlDvGwPXkhAEfIuJ6OSrHfm3zIG_sm5dqVjRQp_FfS6f3BoCYSIQAvD_BwE

But also don't assume you can't talk to them either. If you think they're intimidating that's just your opinion based on little or no interaction with them.

Regardless, a draft excluder is not a chemical, it doesn't need rebuying when you run out and your child might find it fun to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's a very small maintenance job, and regardless of the smell of weed, it is government health advice that shared areas should be ventilated more to help with the risk of Covid transmission in enclosed spaces
    If the window is broken there's probably something in your lease that says the management agency has to do repairs in a timely manner. You might check that if you have your lease documents, and quote it to them in the email.

The management agent and management company have no relationship with the tenant and are not a not answerable to them. All the OP can do is go through their landlord.

Caranica wrote: »
    The management agent and management company have no relationship with the tenant and are not a not answerable to them. All the OP can do is go through their landlord.

Sorry that is my mistake so.
    Previously I would have had to deal with the management agent in an apartment I lived in before, but that was probably an unusual situation. Thank you for clearing that up for OP, (and me!), good to know.

ebbsy wrote: »
    +1

Why people cannot just knock on their neighbours door instead of calling the authorities is beyond me.

They are unapproachable, to be simply put.
    Yeah it's okay if you can't understand why I'm intimidated by it. I didn't ask anyway.
    This post isn't about that.

AvaKinder wrote: »
    Also look up Ona gel and other deodorizer products - weed growers use their products to disguise the smell of plants in flower, so using some in the hallway should clear up the smell for you if thats the main concern currently

Thanks for the info. I will look them up.

Hammer down that point. Even if it is weed, and fair enough you don't like it, I've lived in places where I've had to deal with cooking smells or BO or whatever other smells lingering around in common areas or hallways. It's not pleasant, but easily remedied in most situations.

Email or call (preferable to email, as you have records) anyone you have contact details for, i.e. your landlord, or the management company, and say it has already been brought to their attention and that you are requesting the job be done in a timely fashion.
    Be polite and emphasise the health side of things.

On the other side of things, if you don't feel comfortable knocking in to your neighbour for whatever reason, if you thought it would do any good you could slip a note (anonymously if you like) under the door saying something along the lines, of

"hey, the weed smell is pretty strong in the corridors, maybe it's not you guys and sorry if not, but if it is, maybe you guys could open your windows a bit more to help ventilate the space better? For everyone who lives on this floor, please and thanks etc"

Not saying it'll be taken well, but *maybe* they don't realise/don't notice it, and so *perhaps* they'd rather not have the fact that they're smoking to be so obvious. You never know, but at least you could consider that.

For the meantime, try opening the window further even if the handle is broken. If the window is just stuck, try using something like WD40 on the handle/hinges maybe.

As above see about bicarbonate of soda for the carpet, and run the hoover over it.
    Carpet powder type cleaners in the supermarket can be heavily fragranced which can mask the smell.

Febreze spray is supposed to neutralise odours in fabrics/carpets, so you could try that (not when doing the bicarb of soda, the carpet needs to be dry for that).

If the carpet is actually dirty, ask landlord/management about having it professionally cleaned, maybe further down the line. Carpets do hold on to smells, but that can be remedied too.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I really appreciate it.
    I have contacted my letting agent about the carpet and window twice but they aren't just willing to do it.
    I'm not sure why they think trees are more urgent than the window/carpet, but yeah it doesn't look like they are going to fix them anytime soon, hence why I was looking for ways that "I" can do to help eliminate the smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Have you considered an air purifier OP? "Levoit" are a company that make them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Augme

Be careful of the the potential impacts that could happen if you start cleaning areas that aren't yours to clean. I'd assume the carpet in the landing is technically not part of your dwelling and if you start throwing cleaning products on it and cleaning it you might potentially be stepping over that line.

If their is a smell coming because of your efforts then people might complain about that as well.

Just buy a draft excluder if it's coming under your door like this:

https://guineys.ie/new-arrivals/dog-draught-excluder-by-country-club.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA4rGCBhAQEiwAelVti6BdhSmZtlDvGwPXkhAEfIuJ6OSrHfm3zIG_sm5dqVjRQp_FfS6f3BoCYSIQAvD_BwE

But also don't assume you can't talk to them either. If you think they're intimidating that's just your opinion based on little or no interaction with them.

Regardless, a draft excluder is not a chemical, it doesn't need rebuying when you run out and your child might find it fun to see.

Thanks for the link.
    Actually it's not just the under bit that has a gap. So I requested my letting agent to better seal our door and the landlord just gave them approval of the repair yesterday after waiting for over a week. Hopefully it will be fixed next week.

Well I can't show you who they are and I know ultimately it's subjective but I'd rather not.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Have you considered an air purifier OP? "Levoit" are a company that make them

No, I was looking for ways to reduce the smell in the corridor so like a spray or detergent.
    There's no socket there but thanks anyway!

Augme wrote: »
    Be careful of the the potential impacts that could happen if you start cleaning areas that aren't yours to clean. I'd assume the carpet in the landing is technically not part of your dwelling and if you start throwing cleaning products on it and cleaning it you might potentially be stepping over that line.

If their is a smell coming because of your efforts then people might complain about that as well.

Thanks for your insights. We are the only other household on the same floor so unless the nextdoor neighbours start complaining, I think I'm safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Have you contacted the Gardai for advice ? The behavior isn’t just anti social, unneighborly... it’s illegal.. it’s an illegal act that is having a detrimental effect on your health and wellbeing and that of your family...

It may be a case that the Gardai would be hesitant with everything going on to prioritize this but don’t ask you dont get... give them a ring and see...

No reason you should be out of pocket..buying x y & z to resolve a situation that is not of your making... no way should you invest time and effort cleaning a mess that isn’t of your making...but is of the making of individuals who don’t give a rats about their neighbors or the wellbeing of anybody in the vicinity.

Landlords or a good percentage of them won’t give a rats ass... as long as the rent is rolling in...

Caranica wrote: »

The management company has all the details in regards to the people who live in the apartment so I could've talked to them directly but I contacted my letting agent instead as the first incident happened after the office was closed on Friday.

Strumms wrote: »
    Have you contacted the Gardai for advice ? The behavior isn’t just anti social, unneighborly... it’s illegal.. it’s an illegal act that is having a detrimental effect on your health and wellbeing and that of your family...

It may be a case that the Gardai would be hesitant with everything going on to prioritize this but don’t ask you dont get... give them a ring and see...

No reason you should be out of pocket..buying x y & z to resolve a situation that is not of your making... no way should you invest time and effort cleaning a mess that isn’t of your making...but is of the making of individuals who don’t give a rats about their neighbors or the wellbeing of anybody in the vicinity.

Landlords or a good percentage of them won’t give a rats ass... as long as the rent is rolling in...

Yes I did call the local Garda station. What they said was they have no power unless there's evidence. I didn't ask what evidence they were looking for as I was overwhelmed at the time.

So all I can do realistically is find a new place as soon as possible and move out but it's not easy to find one in Dublin so I was looking for ways that "I" can do to eliminate the smell in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes I did call the local Garda station. What they said was they have no power unless there's evidence. I didn't ask what evidence they were looking for as I was overwhelmed at the time.

So all I can do realistically is find a new place as soon as possible and move out but it's not easy to find one in Dublin so I was looking for ways that "I" can do to eliminate the smell in the meantime.

If you said you ‘thought’ that there was somebody being raped or assaulted they’d be there in double quick time... on reporting that they wouldn’t say... “ we can’t do anything unless there is evidence “... you go looking for evidence.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    If you said you ‘thought’ that there was somebody being raped or assaulted they’d be there in double quick time... on reporting that they wouldn’t say... “ we can’t do anything unless there is evidence “... you go looking for evidence.

Right. This was a completely different occasion and off topic, definitely not as violent compared to being raped but when I called garda when our landlord started throwing our bags from the window and stairs, screaming to make us leave her house (owner occupied house share) because we used the toilet after 9pm and the flushing noise was loud for her, they didn't come.

The smell can't be filmed, recorded or taken photos of so it's very hard to prove it unfortunately although the smell is distinctive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement