Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on how to tackle the smell of weed/cigarettes coming from nextdoor neighbo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Thanks for the link.
    Actually it's not just the under bit that has a gap. So I requested my letting agent to better seal our door and the landlord just gave them approval of the repair yesterday after waiting for over a week. Hopefully it will be fixed next week.

Well I can't show you who they are and I know ultimately it's subjective but I'd rather not.

Fair enough, yeah even better then if you're finally getting it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The management company has all the details in regards to the people who live in the apartment so I could've talked to them directly but I contacted my letting agent instead as the first incident happened after the office was closed on Friday.

The management company are answerable to the members ie your landlord. You have no right to contact them directly so proceeding via your letting agent is correct.

Similarly you have no right to spray chemicals or place anything in the common areas to deal with the smell. Sealing your door and deodorising your apartment is as much as you can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Bubbletea21

Caranica wrote: »
    The management company are answerable to the members ie your landlord. You have no right to contact them directly so proceeding via your letting agent is correct.

Similarly you have no right to spray chemicals or place anything in the common areas to deal with the smell. Sealing your door and deodorising your apartment is as much as you can do.

I actually have contacted them directly before regarding some other issues and they were okay with it.

When can I find this what I have a right/don't have a right as my lease doesn't mention it?

Regarding me cleaning the carpet or the corridor, I have contacted my letting agent and they asked the management company multiple times but they refused to do it as to them dealing with trees is more urgent. So I want to do something about it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Undesirables?

What do you mean by dealing with trees?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by dealing with trees?

There are trees in-between the apartment blocks and they say dealing with the trees are more urgent than fixing the corridor window and cleaning the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

The smell of cigarettes dosen't give you a headache or trigger asthema, it would take the smoke itself and to be honest I don't see why a person can't smoke in their own home? When you refer to the house what exactly do you mean ?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Undesirables?

Yes.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    The smell of cigarettes dosen't give you a headache or trigger asthema, it would take the smoke itself and to be honest I don't see why a person can't smoke in their own home? When you refer to the house what exactly do you mean ?

It does (it seeps through their door) we live in an apartment. Not a house. They smoke weed and cigarettes.

Right. This was a completely different occasion and off topic, definitely not as violent compared to being raped but when I called garda when our landlord started throwing our bags from the window and stairs, screaming to make us leave her house (owner occupied house share) because we used the toilet after 9 and the flushing noise was loud for her, they didn't come.

The smell can't be filmed, recorded or taken photos of so it's very hard to prove it unfortunately although the smell is distinctive.

If stuff keeps happening to you then it's likely because of your actions.

• Advertisement

I actually have contacted them directly before regarding some other issues and they were okay with it.

When can I find this what I have a right/don't have a right as my lease doesn't mention it?

Regarding me cleaning the carpet or the corridor, I have contacted my letting agent and they asked the management company multiple times but they refused to do it as to them dealing with trees is more urgent. So I want to do something about it myself.

You've found a rare management agent if they're talking to a tenant. They really shouldn't be.

You cannot interfere with common property, including the carpet in the corridor. If you damaged it you would be liable, if someone slipped on it you would be liable. That includes spraying something as simple as air freshener which can cause carpet to become very slippery.

You can only interfere with carpet etc inside your property and with your landlord's permission. Anything outside is no go. You are renting the apartment, you have the right to access it through the common area but you have no right to do anything to or place anything in the common areas.

The trees are none of your business so you need to drop the obsession with them.

Yes.

What's that code for?

It does (it seeps through their door) we live in an apartment. Not a house. They smoke weed and cigarettes.

Ok well they are allowed smoke cigarettes and how do you know it's weed they are smoking? How do you know the smell of weed so well as to be sure. Also you were thrown out of your last place and you have issue with more that just the smoking you also have issue with the noise is that not correct?

If stuff keeps happening to you then it's likely because of your actions.

I don't think you can quit smoking overnight. It's not allowed to smoke in an apartment.

Hmmm we'd rather not actually as they are undesirables and we have a child... (hard to explain) they are aware that their behaviour is antisocial as they were told about it by their landlord and the management company.

How do you know they are undesirable?

I don't think you can quit smoking overnight. It's not allowed to smoke in an apartment.

I don't think that's true, do you mean three particular apartments or all Irish apartments . Just because your lease from your landlord dosen't allow smoking this does not mean the undesirable neighbours are the same .

Ok well they are allowed smoke cigarettes and how do you know it's weed they are smoking? How do you know the smell of weed so well as to be sure. Also you were thrown out of your last place and you have issue with more that just the smoking you also have issue with the noise is that not correct?

That's the first place we stayed at since we moved to Ireland. The landlord didn't like us using the toilet as her room is next to it. Everyone knows what the smell of weed is like but it's hard to actually "prove" it. So that's why I made a post looking for advice on sprays/detergents that I can use for the corridor while I look for a new place.

Yes because other neighbors are incredibly loud.

I don't think that's true, do you mean three particular apartments or all Irish apartments . Just because your lease from your landlord dosen't allow smoking this does not mean the undesirable neighbours are the same .

My particular apartment's lease and house rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Give them a gift of some nag champa incense and an incense stick holder (they're both super cheap) and say you have it left over from when you were younger (pretending that at one time you were young and cool and never ratted on anyone).

It smells nicer than weed and will actually cover the smell, and they'll get the message.

Otherwise there is a spray called Ozium we used to use to eliminate the smell dunno if it's still a thing.

That's the first place we stayed at since we moved to Ireland. The landlord didn't like us using the toilet as her room is next to it. Everyone knows what the smell of weed is like but it's hard to actually "prove" it. So that's why I made a post looking for advice on sprays/detergents that I can use for the corridor while I look for a new place.

Yes because other neighbors are incredibly loud.

I don't know what weed smells like, the only reason you do is you either smoked it or were close enough with someone smoking it to be told what the smell is .

• Advertisement

My particular apartment's lease and house rules.

The apartment block or your apartment? I'd say it's likely your apartment

Caranica wrote: »
    You've found a rare management agent if they're talking to a tenant. They really shouldn't be.

You cannot interfere with common property, including the carpet in the corridor. If you damaged it you would be liable, if someone slipped on it you would be liable. That includes spraying something as simple as air freshener which can cause carpet to become very slippery.

You can only interfere with carpet etc inside your property and with your landlord's permission. Anything outside is no go. You are renting the apartment, you have the right to access it through the common area but you have no right to do anything to or place anything in the common areas.

The trees are none of your business so you need to drop the obsession with them.

Is there a website like RTB or Threshold that I can read up on? It'd be helpful for me.
    Regarding the trees, I'm not obsessed. My letting agent asked the reason why they aren't doing it and that's the answer.

The apartment block or your apartment? I'd say it's likely your apartment

The apartment block has house rules.

Is there a website like RTB or Threshold that I can read up on? It'd be helpful for me.
    Regarding the trees, I'm not obsessed. My letting agent asked the reason why they aren't doing it and that's the answer.

I don't get why you need to read something. You are renting an apartment. Only the apartment. Not the corridors, not the corridor window, not the corridor carpet. You cannot interfere with what's not yours by lease or purchase. How hard is that to understand?

Your lease dictates what you can do within the walls of your apartment.

I've also never heard of a development that bans smoking. Hmmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread closed for review. Do not report any further posts in this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement