Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt advice over 10 years

Options
  • 12-03-2021 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am looking for advise or what am I best to do. I bought a car brand new in 2008. The car was purchased on finance. Around late 2010 early 2011 the car broke down and the garage we purchased it off after a few weeks said it couldnt be fixed. I cant remember what was wrong but I think it needed a new engine and they couldnt locate one new or second hand.

We were advised the best thing to do is hand the car back and wait for the credit company to contact us. The credit company contacted us around the time it went to the garage and said they would send assesor out to look at car and let us know what would happen next.

We moved house a number of years ago and havent had any contact from anyone till this morning. This morning I recieved a call from a debt collection agency saying that they are dealing with our car and getting it closed off and that I owe just under €7K.

I was shocked and speechless and because they caught me off guard I just said that I wasnt able to talk at the moment and I would ring them back.

After nearly 10 years can they still chase me for the money and should I not have recieved something in writting about this.

I dont know who to talk to or where to seek advise? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hi,

I am looking for advise or what am I best to do. I bought a car brand new in 2008. The car was purchased on finance. Around late 2010 early 2011 the car broke down and the garage we purchased it off after a few weeks said it couldnt be fixed. I cant remember what was wrong but I think it needed a new engine and they couldnt locate one new or second hand.

We were advised the best thing to do is hand the car back and wait for the credit company to contact us. The credit company contacted us around the time it went to the garage and said they would send assesor out to look at car and let us know what would happen next.

We moved house a number of years ago and havent had any contact from anyone till this morning. This morning I recieved a call from a debt collection agency saying that they are dealing with our car and getting it closed off and that I owe just under €7K.

I was shocked and speechless and because they caught me off guard I just said that I wasnt able to talk at the moment and I would ring them back.

After nearly 10 years can they still chase me for the money and should I not have recieved something in writting about this.

I dont know who to talk to or where to seek advise? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    They can chase you forever. Whether they can make you pay anything is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Longdub1798

Should I not receive something in writing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Should I not receive something in writing from them.

Did you notify the lender that you moved house?

To be honest I cant remember but I would have thought I did

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Let's be honest, it doesn't sound like you did :)

Mod
    Be easy there, Losty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Is there not a 6 year Statute of limitations on a debt?

If they haven't started proceedings by now it might be to late?

Whats the best way to find out if they have started proceedings against me? Is the only way to find out by ringing them up and asking?

If there is an acknowledgement in writing of the debt, or a part payment, the six year period resets. It is also the case that if the contract was made under seal the limitation period is 12 years. The limitation period is only a defence doesn't actually stop anybody suing. It would be a matter for the defence to plead the statute of limitations as a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

How could you just somehow forget a debt of 7k?

I could not just forget about something like that

Wesser wrote: »
    How could you just somehow forget a debt of 7k?

I could not just forget about something like that

It is amazing how short the memories of some people who borrow money are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement