Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Sim card for HKC GSM-Q

• 12-03-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Doing a self install of a HKC SW10270, and I got myself a GSM-Q to self monitor.

Just noticed in the box that it states I need to get a 2G sim card for it to work...

Can anyone tell me what network still does pre-pay sims that are compatible with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭altor

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Doing a self install of a HKC SW10270, and I got myself a GSM-Q to self monitor.

Just noticed in the box that it states I need to get a 2G sim card for it to work...

Can anyone tell me what network still does pre-pay sims that are compatible with this?

Vodafone have a tri sim, Eir and Meteor also work buy you need to specify with them a 2G sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

altor wrote: »
    Vodafone have a tri sim, Eir and Meteor also work buy you need to specify with them a 2G sim card.

Thanks altor - so to be clear, the Vodafone one should just work without needing to specify I need a 2G sim card?

Thanks altor - so to be clear, the Vodafone one should just work without needing to specify I need a 2G sim card?

Yes, needs to be a tri sim

I put a vodafone sim in mine last year and no issues .
    Just be careful you don't accidently activate a PAYG plan-
    for example
    Top up by 20e in one go and get unlimited calls&texts for the month but then they take the full 20e.
    So you have to top up in 15e to avoid it .

I put a vodafone sim in mine last year and no issues .
    Just be careful you don't accidently activate a PAYG plan-
    for example
    Top up by 20e in one go and get unlimited calls&texts for the month but then they take the full 20e.
    So you have to top up in 15e to avoid it .

Thanks for the tip!

I got vodafone to send me out a new sim for an old number I had, but when I popped it in an old phone (Nokia 6300) it wouldn't connect at all. I then popped the nano sim from the plastic adaptor, and popped in my old nanosim, and that works fine in the phone - I can call and text.

However, when I put it into the GSM-Q, the panel says no signal... Any idea what to do? I tried the same sim in an older Nokia 3510i and that too can't get a signal for some reason.

I also noticed that the GSM-Q instructions showed to connect it to SP1, but when I went to enable the GSM on the panel, it told me to switch it to SP2 (I powered it all down before making this swap!)

EDIT:

I should have said, I found a piece of paper in the box of the GSM-Q dated 09/02/16 showing compatibility of SIM cards, and it says Vodafone triple SIM's are NOT compatible?

UPDATE:

I found on the vodafone website that I have to activate the new card - so I did, and now it's working in the older Nokia 3510i, going to retry it in the alarm now.

UPDATE 2:

The newly activated SIM is working fine inside the alarm :D Damn thing is texting me like mad because I'm yet to finish connecting all the sensors and tampers, so it thinks there's some mad break in going on! I think I've a lot of manual reading ahead of me now. Thanks to all who helped with this so far, no doubt I'll be back for other issues!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

UPDATE 2:

The newly activated SIM is working fine inside the alarm :D Damn thing is texting me like mad because I'm yet to finish connecting all the sensors and tampers, so it thinks there's some mad break in going on! I think I've a lot of manual reading ahead of me now. Thanks to all who helped with this so far, no doubt I'll be back for other issues![/QUOTE]

LOL...I know what you're going through...

The newly activated SIM is working fine inside the alarm :D Damn thing is texting me like mad because I'm yet to finish connecting all the sensors and tampers, so it thinks there's some mad break in going on! I think I've a lot of manual reading ahead of me now. Thanks to all who helped with this so far, no doubt I'll be back for other issues!

Put the system in engineer mode and it wont send texts while working on the system.

altor wrote: »
    Put the system in engineer mode and it wont send texts while working on the system.

Thanks, I think the issue was that when I was finished in engineer mode there was faults everywhere as I hadn't sensors on the end of all the wires! Looks good now though!

Thanks, I think the issue was that when I was finished in engineer mode there was faults everywhere as I hadn't sensors on the end of all the wires! Looks good now though!

Always best to have faults cleared before exiting engineer mode or else disable the GSM.

Advertisement