Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does birch (Betula pendula) come into leaf?

Options
  • 12-03-2021 3:18pm

Does it usually happen in March or April and at what stage of the month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Generally April, but since it depends on where in the country the trees are, what the local conditions are, what the weather is doing etc its hard to be more precise than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

No leaves on our one yet, although it hasn't been growing as much as usual the last few years. It looks like buds are starting to come in though. There are quite a few near me, some are covered in leaves and some are just starting to bud. The cold snaps probably don't help

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have young birches from the same batch, planted within yards of each other where some are in almost full leaf and others are barely started. I cannot see what the difference is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends... I'm on the south coast, sheltered spot. Mine are in full leaf now.

I'd expect those further north to be later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've a bonsai birch that's in full leaf 3 in the ground that haven't done much yet

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Depends... I'm on the south coast, sheltered spot. Mine are in full leaf now.

I'd expect those further north to be later.

Living in Cork in a sheltered area. Four birch trees of the same age on the same street in full leaf, mine is only just budding, same with another further up the street. Have a sycamore too that's nearly in full leaf while the neighbours is still only budding. I know theyre not going to be the same every single year, just the big difference considering they are all in the same conditions and healthy is weird to me :confused: Maybe it's just me but I haven't noticed this before

OP here. Mine was fully in leaf by 1 April.
    The foliage developed quite rapidly from 15 March.

- South East Kildare

Hoping mine is the same, kind of concerned at no life other than the few small buds. It'll be a pain to get it replaced if it has died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It depends on where you are. Mine have just started to show a hint of light green - it's usually late April here.

Advertisement