Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Almost all young women in the UK have been sexually harassed [MOD WARNING 1st POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I wonder if you did a similar survey of young lads aged 18-24 and asked them how many of them have been threatened, started on, shaped up to, physically intimidated, ganged up on etc what the result would be...? It was a pretty universal experience in my yoof.

By women?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So your conclusion to this is that foreigners are the problem?

A conclusion which gets drawn all too often on this forum, where you're not allowed to call a racist a racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I would say some men have been sexually harassed as well ad facing physical violence. And the stigma and attitudes towards that need to be changed.

Happened to my son at work and was literally laughed at by manager.
    One has to develop the instinct to see it coming. A withering stare can work as well and of course selective deafness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

People are insinuating that it’s all foreigners in this thread but I doubt that there’s a woman here who hasn’t been jeered at by builders or taxi drivers while walking or jogging down the street.

Obviously I’m no classist but I have no doubt that it’s mostly Irish accents roaring out “nice tits,” “where are your tits” or “show us your tits” at women on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Geuze wrote: »
    If this is true, and if it's also the case that none my male friends do anything like this, then the men who are doing it, must be doing it a lot.

Based on news stories from our courts of the numbers of previous convictions that scumbags have while still not being locked up, it wouldn't surprise me if most bad behaviours are perpetrated by a small minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

By women?

I try not to see gender.....

.anon. wrote: »
    A conclusion which gets drawn all too often on this forum, where you're not allowed to call a racist a racist.
    Some can be but not just because they disagree with your point of view. If you're trading labels with people, the discussion is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Womwn demand immigration and then have to deal with diversity incidents like NYE in Germany.

Women demand immigration? What are you talking about. Women make all law in Europe? On our own?

A certain amount of all races are creeps I hate to break it you.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

I'd be interested to see what the definition of sexual harassment was for the purposes of the survey / study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

By women?

No, men are far more violent and aggressive on account of the testosterone. Also more likely to be of low IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'm no feminist but I find it quite disturbing how many people react to this sort of news with:

1. I'd bet it's ugly men asking out women that's classed as abuse. It'd be different if it was good looking men asking them out.
    2. Sure it's always happened, deal with it
    3. If women dress provocatively or get drunk what do they expect
    4. This happens to men too

On the last point, yes it happens to men. It's happened to me and was quite unpleasant. But it's much more likely to happen to women and, rightly or wrongly, there is a different dynamic if a man harasses a woman.

I hate posting this because it comes across as virtue signalling or "white knight syndrome" but there is a problem here that overwhelmingly affects women. And it's not all men that participate in this behaviour but it's enough that most women experience it.

I can well believe the survey.

I'm a man, I had long hair when I was younger and I used to get my arse grabbed by drunk lads in nightclubs that thought I was female. I laughed it off on the few occasions it happened but makes you realise what women put up with regularly.

No, men are far more violent and aggressive on account of the testosterone. Also more likely to be of low IQ.

Men are more likely to commit violent crime , such as rape, than women.

Somebody mentioned the Congo earlier where there is an epidemic of male rape. Performed by whom, you may be asking? It’s men, men are raping men. The vast, vast majority of rapists are men, and the majority of rape victims are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ffff221

Yes it's probably true but being "sexually harassed" these days goes as far as getting cat called.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Some can be but not just because they disagree with your point of view. If you're trading labels with people, the discussion is over.

I'm not labeling anyone anything, because that would be against the rules, but it's predictable that among the usual doubts about the veracity of the survey, so many would drag immigration into it.

• Advertisement

What does that have to do with sexual harassment?
    Are you suggesting that Pakistani men are the majority of offenders in sexual harassment also?

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see what the definition of sexual harassment was for the purposes of the survey / study.
    Here you go:

1.jpg

https://www.unwomenuk.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/APPG-UN-Women_Sexual-Harassment-Report_2021.pdf

The vast, vast majority of rapists are men, and the majority of rape victims are women.
    You dont say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Somebody mentioned the Congo earlier where there is an epidemic of male rape. Performed by whom, you may be asking? It’s men, men are raping men. The vast, vast majority of rapists are men, and the majority of rape victims are women.

i would guess the ration is high 90 percents maybe 99%. that largly got to do with it not being possible to charge women with rape in the same way that men are. so the women rapists are peodophiles etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Came across the survey report, cant find the 97% figure, but it seems to include "Online comments or jokes that made you feel uncomfortable" and "Sharing of indecent content online or in-person"
    which are both over 30% for the 18-24 age group (which the 97% applies to)

Pdf here:
    https://www.unwomenuk.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/APPG-UN-Women_Sexual-Harassment-Report_2021.pdf

• Advertisement

It's clear that education is needed.

A big portion of posters here don't even seem to know what sexual harassment is!

None of these is a fifth of the total! What's that about? Can't argue that a lot of it is unpleasant but one or two, jokes & comments could be addressed personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »
    This is not OK.
    Based on a YouGov survey of more than 1,000 women - among women aged 18-24, 97% said they had been sexually harassed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/10/almost-all-young-women-in-the-uk-have-been-sexually-harassed-survey-finds

Like brasseye “if you define any interaction hetween men and women as sexual assault then the results are staggering”

Like brasseye “if you define any interaction hetween men and women as sexual assault then the results are staggering”

But literally nobody is defining "any interaction between men and women" as sexual assault.

None of these is a fifth of the total! What's that about? Can't argue that a lot of it is unpleasant but one or two, jokes & comments could be addressed personally.

Jokes and unwanted advances... come on, thats insane

There's a reason that probably +90% of the global prison population are male. Similar stats for Nobel Prize winners it must be said.

You dont say

That’s right I do say. That’s why the men in here need to stop playing the victims or diverting the blame towards immigrants when rape and sexual harassment towards women are discussed.

How many of the men in here pull up their mates when problematic language is used about women in WhatsApp group chats? How many men have turned a blind eye to “locker room talk” and “banter” from their friends? Vanishingly few, I bet. And yet when the issue of rape is raised it’s all “not all men” or “don’t blame me, I respect women (when it suits.)”

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I'm no feminist but I find it quite disturbing how many people react to this sort of news with:

1. I'd bet it's ugly men asking out women that's classed as abuse. It'd be different if it was good looking men asking them out.
    2. Sure it's always happened, deal with it
    3. If women dress provocatively or get drunk what do they expect
    4. This happens to men too

On the last point, yes it happens to men. It's happened to me and was quite unpleasant. But it's much more likely to happen to women and, rightly or wrongly, there is a different dynamic if a man harasses a woman.

I hate posting this because it comes across as virtue signalling or "white knight syndrome" but there is a problem here that overwhelmingly affects women. And it's not all men that participate in this behaviour but it's enough that most women experience it.

I think the problem is that some men see sexual harrassment as banter.

When I used to walk my 2 sons to school the construction workers used to shout at me daily..it wasn't a wolfwhistle bu thrusting ther junk at me,asking me if I was up for a ride.one of the fokers told me he would give me better looking kids than my husband.My 6 yr old used to ask why they were angry with me?

A couple of times taking car seat out of car males would say look aat the tit's on her and ask to lick them. two years ago my 13 yr old daughter and 2 frends also 13 were waiting outside shop for me and a group of men were telling them to get car..that they would take them home..all of these men were Irish.

Now I have not doubt that these men thought this was banter..It wasn't..It was sexxual harassment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Stared at and cat calls are sexual harassment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

There is a few things in that poll id take issue with, being stared at, cat calling, online comments and jokes are hardly definitions of sexual harassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's clear that education is needed.

A big portion of posters here don't even seem to know what sexual harassment is!

What's your definition of sexual harassment?

im supprised that wolfe whistling and cat calling are so high. i am struggling to remember the last time i witnessed it. i think it was 14 years ago in collage driving around galway one weekend. and the driver roared something out the window at some women.
    im one building sites 6-8 months a year and the rest my own work and i have never witnessed this on a site.
    saying that i dont be in cities on sites

They are the totals. It is when it is broken down by age group that you get the 97%.

There is a few things in that poll id take issue with, being stared at, cat calling, online comments and jokes are hardly definitions of sexual harassment.

Online comments are included? Ah here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

im supprised that wolfe whistling and cat calling are so high. i am struggling to remember the last time i witnessed it.

Try running or cycling as a woman?

Yeah, I really think those need to be marked as ‘annoyances’ rather than harassment

That’s right I do say. That’s why the men in here need to stop playing the victims or diverting the blame towards immigrants when rape and sexual harassment towards women are discussed.

How many of the men in here pull up their mates when problematic language is used about women in WhatsApp group chats? How many men have turned a blind eye to “locker room talk” and “banter” from their friends? Vanishingly few, I bet. And yet when the issue of rape is raised it’s all “not all men” or “don’t blame me, I respect women (when it suits.)”

there is a lot of truth to that. we should shut down these kind of things a lot more than we do. i admit that myself that i turn a deaf ear to stuff like that when i should say stop.

there are reasons for it, most men dont want to rock the boat with their collegues etc. a lot of male dominated work is by word of mouth and who ou knw and are in with. especially the trades. combine that with a lot more 'banter and pranks' are widly commonplace in these male dominated fields. people have been locked in portaloos after saying soething to someone or their tools or lunch interfeered with.
    womens jobs tend to be a lot more controlled and easier to report this crap

there is a lot of truth to that. we should shut down these kind of things a lot more than we do. i admit that myself that i turn a deaf ear to stuff like that when i should say stop.
    You don't have to say anything, a silent look can do the trick.

Online comments are included? Ah here!

If an online comment is directed at someone, then why wouldn't it be included as harassment? For example, I'm sure we all agree that online bullying is a real thing and should be taken seriously.

• Advertisement

Here you go:

As abhorrent as the stats are and the underlying implications, classifying the majority of those as sexual assault is a) hyperbolic, b) designed to elicit a particular point response and c) unhelpful in the long run.

If you split men into three categories, there'd be 1) rapists who know its wrong but don't care, 2) normal folk who know it's wrong and don't engage in it and 3) people who know it's wrong but don't think it's as serious or as widespread as it is made out to be.

1) you can't reason with these people
    2) there's no need to, as they're already reasonable and
    3) these are the lads who all of this sorta stuff should be aimed at

Lumping "online jokes" into the same category as "being forced into non consensual sex" screams of hysteria and does nothing to win over the people described at point 3) above.

I mean, I'm in category 2 and immediately upon seeing the word assault in the OP followed by your list I dismissed the validity of the report.

"hmmm, 97% of women have been sexually assaulted.... Really?....... Oh, they're classifying whistles and jokes as sexual assault, well that's a load of bollocks then".

I'm 100% sure this comment will be jumped on, but if you want to start having a serious discussion on this problem (and it is a problem), then the emotive, deliberate misinterpretation of data needs to stop.

I cannot fathom how seeing a sexual joke online can be considered assault, so it is easy to dismiss anything valid in the survey based off that deliberate skewing of the stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Cat calls are terrifying when a car slows down behind you. You have no idea what they are planning on doing next.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ffff221

As abhorrent as the stats are and the underlying implications, classifying the majority of those as sexual assault is a) hyperbolic, b) designed to elicit a particular point response and c) unhelpful in the long run.

If you split men into three categories, there'd be 1) rapists who know its wrong but don't care, 2) normal folk who know it's wrong and don't engage in it and 3) people who know it's wrong but don't think it's as serious or as widespread as it is made out to be.

Lumping "online jokes" into the same category as "being forced into non consensual sex" screams of hysteria and does nothing to win over the people described at point 3) above.

I mean, I'm in category 2 and immediately upon seeing the word assault in the OP followed by your list I dismissed the validity of the report.

"hmmm, 97% of women have been sexually assaulted.... Really?....... Oh, they're classifying whistles and jokes as sexual assault, well that's a load of bollocks then".

I'm 100% sure this comment will be jumped on, but if you want to start having a serious discussion on this problem (and it is a problem), then the emotive, deliberate misinterpretation of data needs to stop.

I cannot fathom how seeing a sexual joke online can be considered assault, so it is easy to dismiss anything valid in the survey based off that deliberate skewing of the stats.

It may be a problem but as far as our problems or Britains problems go it's at the bottom of the list.

Some of this is just about group/tribal politics again, with complete disregarding of the individual. The message from some is that all men are to blame because they do not police other men. Of course, by that logic the individual who does these crimes is not fully morally to blame for his misdeeds, cause, men. What nonsense.

It's the same attitude that Stalin had to the Kulaks, group identity and collective guilt. It is endemic in society today, where the individual only matters to the extent that he/she/it/xe/zir/whatever belongs to an oppressed minority, or an oppressive group.

The solution to this is to concentrate on individual responsibility for ones actions, with appropriate consequences.

Certainly. But these things change very very slowly unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, whilst I can see why you'd consider cat calling as secual harassment, there's no way staring by itself is.

I mean go out for a walk any day and I guarantee you stare at someone or are stared at. Could be something as innocent as do I know that person from somewhere so you stare.

There's always people doing activities that I stare at as I'm interested/curious in the activity (like those ones who string ropes between trees to walk on).

Sure if they're staring and licking their lips or touching themselves or making rude gestures, that's harassment but just staring is not.

• Advertisement

If an online comment is directed at someone, then why wouldn't it be included as harassment? For example, I'm sure we all agree that online bullying is a real thing and should be taken seriously.
    It is but you report it and block and ultimately ignore people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

This works both ways, women are no angels in this respect.

I've read and heard some of the most vilest and meanest things from women, you think women don't cut up men in snapchats etc...

Come on now...

Now you see, you qualified that by saying, "If an online comment is directed at someone", Did the study explain it that way, or simply say online comments?

Because there's a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭wench

You might want to take another look when you stop for breath.
    They were classified as sexual harassment, not assault.

It is but you report it and block and ultimately ignore people.

Yes, if someone sexually harasses you online, you should block and report them so that they can't do it again. None of which means you haven't been sexually harassed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement