Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Almost all young women in the UK have been sexually harassed [MOD WARNING 1st POST]

1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And the women who were surveyed were young once and all, and can see people interacting and they have children who are teenagers and young adults and yeah, women do talk, but according to the results of that survey, it’s apparent that they don’t talk about their experiences of sexual harassment.

My point is that they are just as capable as anyone here of being able to tell the difference between appropriate interactions, and sexual harassment, and they’re basing their opinions on their own judgment the same way you’re basing your judgment on your experiences and the experiences of those people you know. Yet because their experiences are contrary to a particular narrative, there are people here going out of their way to question the results of the various surveys.

Think about it - when you feel people are being dismissive of your opinions, it’s a bit shìte and it’s like they’re being unreasonable. Same thing for the women in that survey then who have a different opinion to the person who tries to make out that there are any number of explanations besides them being able to legitimately claim they were sexually harassed. That’s why they don’t talk about it, because they’re already aware that they’ll be told they’re being unreasonable or what they experienced wasn’t harassment and all the rest of it.

I wouldn’t try and tell you you’re wrong or that because I don’t have your experiences then that gives me a license to undermine your opinions, but that’s what’s being done to anyone who tries to make a point about the fact that a large number of women experience shìtty behaviours and attitudes from what are a tiny minority of men who put themselves first before any consideration for other people.

I don't mind honest debate at all, and have stated we're all individuals and will have different opinions.

What I find objectionable, and downright dishonest, is having sections of posts quoted out of context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

biko wrote: »
    This is not OK.
    Based on a YouGov survey of more than 1,000 women - among women aged 18-24, 97% said they had been sexually harassed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/10/almost-all-young-women-in-the-uk-have-been-sexually-harassed-survey-finds

Mod: There is an unhealthy number of posts popping up in this thread, either discounting the survey completely, or trying to renegotiate the definition of sexual harassment because it doesn't fit into your personal world view.

The thread is predicated on the survey mentioned in the OP (linked here if you would like to take a closer look). If your approach is to dismiss the survey rather than discuss, then you have nothing to add to the thread.

Men get sexually harassed too but that doesn't suit the narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is what he said:

An ex of mine used to drive a supercar, naturally getting a lot of attention. She'd tell me that some men would honk their horn at her on the road. She used to always joke about what they thought was going to happen, that she'd stop driving and run over to them in the middle of traffic? But again, never saw or heard anyone being harassed from a car verbally.

No implication of harassment at all.

And my point back is that I got negative feedback.

Because his ex got no hassle in her car, does not mean others dont.

I don't get his point about the car in the first place. The discussion was about walkers/joggers. Maybe he wanted to shoehorn in the word supercar?

anewme wrote: »
    And my point back is that I got negative feedback.

Because his ex got no hassle in her car, does not mean others dont.

I don't get his point about the car in the first place. The discussion was about walkers/joggers. Maybe he wanted to shoehorn in the word supercar?
    It wasn't negative feedback though, it was just a weird comment.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Well seeing as I never said women belong in the kitchen but you have very conveniently just proved the second point by responding in an insane manner once again unable to debate on the point, misrepresenting what has been said. All classic symptoms of neurosis ergo crazy.

So, you never said QUOTE=99nsr125;116568236]The kitchen is a safe space[/QUOTE]

Or in response to a question on what percentage of the population are nuts did you respond with 50%- female.

Is that not you?

• Advertisement

It wasn't negative feedback though, it was just a weird comment.

Mine or the supercar?

Mine or the supercar?

Yours.

Yours.

Why do you think supercar was relevant when the discussion was about walkers/joggers?

Why do you think supercar was relevant when the discussion was about walkers/joggers?

It was relevant because the poster said he hadn't seen any incidences of harassment from men in cars. He explained his girlfriend had a supercar and got attention from men, as in they beeped at her, but neither of them construed that as harassment.

What was the relevance of your post to the discussion of men shouting abusive comments from cars?

It was relevant because the poster said he hadn't seen any incidences of harassment from men in cars. He explained his girlfriend had a supercar and got attention from men, as in they beeped at her, but neither of them construed that as harassment.

What was the relevance of your post to the discussion of men shouting abusive comments from cars?

His girlfriend was in the car though, not on the pavement? People will find it easier to shout crap from cars, rather than at cars, so his point was moot in respect of walkers/joggers.

He said flash cars should attract attention, my point in response to attracting attention was it's not all positive.

• Advertisement

His girlfriend was in the car though, not on the pavement? People will find it easier to shout crap from cars, rather than at cars, so his point was moot in respect of walkers/joggers.

He said flash cars should attract attention, my point in response to attracting attention was it's not all positive.

No, they didn't say "flash cars should attract attention". That's more deflecting/twisting of facts.

BTW, you just assumed the poster's gender, they could be a lesbian.

No, they didn't say "flash cars should attract attention". That's more deflecting/twisting of facts.

BTW, you just assumed the poster's gender, they could be a lesbian.

He said: An ex of mine used to drive a supercar, naturally getting a lot of attention.

Now, if you think that's grossly different and twisted than saying flash cars get a lot of attention, it's getting a bit petty and ridiculous.

No , poster clearly said they are not a woman.

No I'm not a woman. But I do have eyes, ears and pecs.

Could be non binary.

No , poster clearly said they are not a woman. So I'll go with that.

No I'm not a woman. But I do have eyes, ears and pecs.

And the first part of my post?

Also, they might be transgender or identify as a man. When you call out people for assuming gender you should heed your own advice.

ETA The "nin binary" edit was after I posted.

Also, they might be transgender or identify as a man. When you call out people for assuming gender you should heed your own advice.

No, at the same time.

No, at the same time.

No to what? The first part of my post that you ignored?

Look, I think things are getting a bit petty with the likes of

An ex of mine used to drive a supercar, naturally getting a lot of attention.

Is not the same as

Flash cars get a lot of attention.

So, in the interests of keeping on track and not boring others will leave it there.

Look, I think things are getting a bit petty with the likes of

An ex of mine used to drive a supercar, naturally getting a lot of attention.

Is not the same as

Flash cars get a lot of attention.

So, in the interests of keeping on track and not boring others will leave it there.

So, you won't answer again then?

But yes, let's leave it because you refuse to engage honestly in discussions.

If you honestly see a huge difference in those descriptions, there is genuinely nothing else to say.

I'm happy to leave it at that.

I guarantee if you had the same ambiguity around the definition of sexual assault against men in the same way you measure it against women, it would be quite similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I guarantee if you had the same ambiguity around the definition of sexual assault against men in the same way you measure it against women, it would be quite similar.

You can’t guarantee anything, but what would be the point you’re making anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Without exaggeration, in EVERY job I have worked in, I have been sexually harassed by female colleagues. I didn't consider it to be that at the time of the incident, it was only when taken aside by other colleagues it was pointed out to me or later in life when I reflect.

I firmly believe women are more likely to make inappropriate comments because they either they know they can get away with it or they are brainwashed into believing its only bad when men do it. Whereas most men today (especially in the workplace) will be far more cautious on how they speak to certain women. I don't think women have that sense of cautiousness as its not slammed into them on a daily basis that they COULD be part of an issue.

You also have the fact that men would be laughed at or told you wish if it was brought up. May be things are changing today, I don't know.

Also, when I was of nightclub going age I recall having my nipples pinched, ass slapped and pinched and my crotch grabbed by drunken women. Nightclubs weren't my thing and you could count the times I went on both hands.

Now I am not trying to dismiss what some women go through but society today still completely points the finger at men.

#notallmen gets vilified, how about #womentoo

You can’t guarantee anything, but what would be the point you’re making anyway?

I think it's quite clear.

If an ambiguous definition of sexual harassment is levelled at either sex, you will get similar results.

If harassment can be unwanted looks, comments etc, it's not the "rape culture" that so many people insist exists and is certainly not exclusively carried out by men

Sexual assault and harassment is a very serious accusation. A wayward comment or a clumsy approach classed as such is a slap in the face to actual victims

py2006 wrote: »
    #notallmen gets vilified, how about #womentoo

#mentoo would seem more appropriate in that context?

I think it's quite clear.

If an ambiguous definition of sexual harassment is levelled at either sex, you will get similar results.

If harassment can be unwanted looks, comments etc, it's not the "rape culture" that so many people insist exists and is certainly not exclusively carried out by men

Sexual assault and harassment is a very serious accusation. A wayward comment or a clumsy approach classed as such is a slap in the face to actual victims

It wasn’t clear, that’s why I asked, because I don’t think you would get similar results, or even close, for a couple of different reasons, not the least of which being the fact that men who have experienced sexual assault and harassment complain about it a lot less than women do, and there’s a stigma which is felt to a greater extent among men than women who have been victims of sexual assault and harassment. There have been surveys done, loads of them, but the results don’t come anywhere close to being similar.

There’s not many people insist “rape culture” is a thing, let’s not lose the run of ourselves, maintain some perspective at least. The people who make claims about “rape culture” are but a very tiny, vanishingly small number of people with not a whole lot of influence over anything, even less so among the judiciary. Arguments against the existence of “rape culture” wouldn’t be helped if you were able to provide evidence that you’d just doubled the number of victims of sexual assault and harassment (your evidence being a similar number of men and women who have experiences of sexual assault and harassment). ‘Twould certainly give me pause for thought anyway if anyone ever managed to produce such evidence.

I don’t think how behaviours are classified has any bearing on people who have been on the receiving end of that kind of behaviour from other people. I’ve never gotten that argument that classification of one type of behaviour has any bearing on the impact on anyone who is the victim of another type of the same behaviour. It’s why there are different categories in law for assault for example, or indeed rape, or harassment. There’s no false equivalence going on, only by those who claim that a victims claims are an insult to a victim of something else. It’s not a pissing contest to determine who’s the greater or more worthy victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

py2006 wrote: »

Also, when I was of nightclub going age I recall having my nipples pinched, ass slapped and pinched and my crotch grabbed by drunken women. Nightclubs weren't my thing and you could count the times I went on both hands.

You had all these happen to you in less than 10 times in a club?
    hmm .. I doubt it tbh

I've been in niteclubs 100s times and these things have happened. but very very rarely.

And I'm fairly sexy :cool:

hmm .. I doubt it tbh

I've been in niteclubs 100s times and these things have happened. but very very rarely.

#ibelievehim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I’ve had my ass grabbed by women on numerous occasions and I’m not even good looking. It’s dismissed when I tell people about it. It’s sexual assault at the end of the day.

hmm .. I doubt it tbh

The whole idea that the sort of inappropriate behaviour being talked about has anything to do with looks is a myth. What is a fact is that when some people see an opportunity for inappropriate behaviour, they take it. Most people don’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

poisonated wrote: »
    I’ve had my ass grabbed by women on numerous occasions and I’m not even good looking. It’s dismissed when I tell people about it. It’s sexual assault at the end of the day.

Of course it's dismissed.
    This is the double standards of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,000 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Where is the statistics to back this up though ?

There are about 2.4 million females give or take in the Republic of Ireland right now... that’s going to be a lot of rapes... her stats don’t nearly add up.

I’ve never heard of this person but on finding her Twitter..she’s basically aggressively anti man... so I’d take anybody being anti man or anti woman with a gigantic piece of salt...she is just a criticism factory against men seemingly with made up numbers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Theres not a hope in hell in the western world that 1 in 3 women are raped or 1 in 4 are sexually assaulted (not harassed, assaulted ) before the age of 12, would love to know where those likely made up stats come from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Theres not a hope in hell in the western world that 1 in 3 women are raped or 1 in 4 are sexually assaulted (not harassed, assaulted ) before the age of 12, would love to know where those likely made up stats come from

Those would be high numbers during a civil war or invasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its Twitter :)

Not exactly the place to go to for researched opinion!

(I will never understand why people do that...)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,000 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Its Twitter :)

Not exactly the place to go to for researched opinion!

(I will never understand why people do that...)

It really is a cesspool of idiots and gobshîtes Twitter, she’s just another dose who is in love with the sound of her own voice and making up numbers and masquerading them as fact... for attention... because it’s helping nobody...wonder what the medical council would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

[quote="Strumms;116779 Twitter, she’s just another dose who is in love with the sound of her own voice and making up numbers and masquerading them as fact... for attention... because it’s helping nobody...wonder what the medical council would think.[/quote]

And that's the problem.

When people quote a Twitter post, they are saying that ' it really is a cesspool of idiots and gobshîtes' and not whatever the post actually says.

Its the same sand with the woke thread. It's not woke craziness of the day sny more, it's Twitter craziness of the day.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭99nsr125

So, you never said QUOTE=99nsr125;116568236]The kitchen is a safe space

Or in response to a question on what percentage of the population are nuts did you respond with 50%- female.

Is that not you?[/quote]

Yes it's me and yet again you have proven the second point.

Jaysus if you can't even read a post and get the quote right you just discredit yourself over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Anewme doesn't answer, never answers for the simple reason it would be in opposition to anewme's position

99nsr125 wrote: »

Is that not you?

Yes it's me and yet again you have proven the second point.

Jaysus if you can't even read a post and get the quote right you just discredit yourself over and over again.[/quote]

Can you clarify please.

You posted to say previously that all women are nuts.

Now, you are saying that not only are all women nuts, but that I am proving your point.

Is that what you are saying here.?

Advertisement