Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Wouldn't You Take a Golf Lesson?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My exact reasoning for not getting lessons all along is coming through at the moment.. Lesson booked for next week, told the pro I want to work on my driving as it has been very inconsistent and the odd OB drive was killing my score.

Since booking the lesson my driving has been flawless!! I’m sure that won’t last and I’m still going with the lesson and hopefully I can keep it for longer!
    I think this is another reason people might go and only have one as they believe IMO that only one problem is the something like the driver. However it's the whole swing is the issue. With the irons it's not as clear cut but the driver just forgives no one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I persisted with the idea I could fix it myself because I know what the problem is.

<unwarranted swing advice from amateurs>Did your pro ever tinker with the length of your backswing? I saw this video recently which made me think of you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40G4oa4oPY</unwarranted swing advice from amateurs>

RoadRunner wrote: »
    <unwarranted swing advice from amateurs>Did your pro ever tinker with the length of your backswing? I saw this video recently which made me think of you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40G4oa4oPY</unwarranted swing advice from amateurs>

^ immediate ban :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

RoadRunner wrote: »

I'm a swayer, a collapser, and an ever so occasional regripper, but it's a really beautiful 6/4 swing! :o :pac:

But, I've got my couple of drills now, so I'm set, and will be launching it past you in no time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Keano wrote: »
    I think this is another reason people might go and only have one as they believe IMO that only one problem is the something like the driver. However it's the whole swing is the issue. With the irons it's not as clear cut but the driver just forgives no one!!

I tend to be the opposite when playing badly, which is all the time since things reopened. Only club I feel any way comfortable with is the driver. Iron play is completely messed up. Cannot stop lunging downwards at the irons and hitting the ground before the ball. Lessons needed badly.

• Advertisement

I'm a swayer, a collapser, and an ever so occasional regripper, but it's a really beautiful 6/4 swing! :o :pac:

But, I've got my couple of drills now, so I'm set, and will be launching it past you in no time! ;)

You'll never get it past me I'm a Joker, a smoker and a midnight toker :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Was struggling with a hook Mike Tyson would have been proud of for years. Read the books, watched the You Tube videos...nothing made it better. Tried pretty much everything I could think of but refused lessons on the basis of pride. Same way I won't go to the doctor, read instructions or insist on eating the hottest curry.

What an idiot. Finally gave in and went for a lesson last summer. Feared I'd be tinkering with my swing for months with whatever changes were made. The guy picked 2-3 things that were causing the hook straight away. My play and scores immediately improved massively. I'm not playing at the moment due to an injury so I haven't had a chance to go back or work further on what he told me but I'd recommend that everyone goes. Could have saved me 15 years of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭wonga77

Took up golf 2 years ago after a long absence. Self-taught so never had a lesson in my life till last year. I would be quite erratic but hit it a long way. Went for 2 lessons about a month apart at the start of last year and he picked 3 things, my takeaway was too much on the inside, I was swaying a bit too much through the entire swing and my posture was a little crouched.
    The difference it made was unreal, had 42 points in my first comp back (playing off 14) before covid took over and things were shut down.
    Im confident id have been down to 8 or 9 easy only for the lockdown. (didn't play much in the summer due to a football injury)
    Competition golf starting up again on Sunday and I can't wait.
    Id recommend anyone struggling to go for a lesson, you'd be amazed the things they pick out that you thought you were doing correctly all along. Not till I saw a slow-mo recording of myself did I realise some of the things I was doing
    Bad habits are hard to eradicate, especially if you are unaware of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I try to play as much as I can and improve within that. I do a bit of pitching and chipping in the back garden.

Not that I dont want to improve or dont like the game enough. Or that I dont believe in lessons. But I wont ever have a picture perfect swing or develop all the right angles and all that. And more importantly lessons all by themselves dont actually give you much unless you really dont know what you're doing. What gives you much is the hard work after the lesson ingraining what you learned for hours on end and I just couldnt be bothered with that anymore.

So I try to play as much as I can and improve within that.

Advertisement