Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Planning/ Planning Permission for New build

Options
  • 12-03-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering as i am in process of submitting some sketches and information for pre-planning purposes.

Just wondering once that goes through and it is accepted - do you still have a little bit of leway after for the full planning application if you decide you need to change something a little.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Share what you submitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A pre planning response will generally be a kind of broad reply so fine points of the design shouldnt really be an issue.
    If you submit something that they dont like, there is plenty opportunity within the planning process to request alterations so i wouldnt worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,384 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pre-planning will more or less tell you - no promises - whether the site you want to build on is likely to be acceptable. Does it appear to have sight lines on the road, is it likely to flood, is it too exposed visually, is it in a suitable zone, that kind of thing. Its only a rough idea and is no indication that you will get permission, just that you are not completely wasting your time applying.

Edit - its easy enough to read up the recommendations in the county plan as to what style of building would be acceptable. You can also get a long way by looking at existing plans in the area and seeing what was accepted and what was rejected. This is also a good way of finding local architects/engineers who have got permission granted in the past!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And remember the pre planning is in no way binding.
    You can get a substantial yes from the planner at pre planning and still get a refusal on full planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

How much information do you need to give in the questionnaire when they ask for specific details of the proposed development. I have no plans drawn up yet. I have just put in details of the size and look of the build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,384 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My experience (three pre-plannings in different authorities) its all a bit general and varies depending on who you are talking to, and whoever you get might not even look at the form in any detail. Basically at this stage they are saying, there is a good chance/no chance that you will be allowed to build a house on that site. The details come later when you are actually looking for permission.

They will talk in pretty general terms too, you have to listen for the 'suggestions' rather than be given clear instructions most of the time. They might just say that a site is not in a residential zone, that's clear enough and something you could easily find out for yourself. Or that an area is liable to flood therefore you cannot build on it. Other times its more a matter of 'you could get permission provided you can change the access, or you will need to build sympathetically to surrounding houses. (Though we were told that about a site, so rejected it, then a couple of years later a totally unsympathetic house that was completely different to surrounding houses was built on the site).

What you are doing sounds about right.

Advertisement