If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Home Theatre System

Options
  • 12-03-2021 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have purchased a couple of Sony TVs of you in the past. I have THIS Sony HT-AS5 sound system at the moment. It is 1000W, purchased it 8 years ago and I still love it. 

Looking for another home theatre system. It can be either sound bar, a 5.1 system or whatever else is out there but it has to be at least on par if not better that what i currently have. I will be using it for watching movies on Netflix etc only. 

Please can you advise what should i be looking at to achieve the similar/better sound quality than what i currently have? Can this be achieved in €500 to €700? 

Thanks

BB

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

bbari wrote: »
    Hi,

I have purchased a couple of Sony TVs of you in the past. I have THIS Sony HT-AS5 sound system at the moment. It is 1000W, purchased it 8 years ago and I still love it. 

Looking for another home theatre system. It can be either sound bar, a 5.1 system or whatever else is out there but it has to be at least on par if not better that what i currently have. I will be using it for watching movies on Netflix etc only. 

Please can you advise what should i be looking at to achieve the similar/better sound quality than what i currently have? Can this be achieved in €500 to €700? 

Thanks

BB
    Hi Bbari.

Many thanks for the post.

If you stretched your budget a little you could purchase the excellent Sony STRDN1080 paired with the Wharfedale DX2 coming in at 799 Euro.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-14242-sony-strdn1080-b-wharfedale-dx2-5-1-white-av-receiver-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

Or you could go for the Yamaha HTR2071 priced at 319 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203764-yamaha-htr2071-black-av-receiver.aspx

Pair it with the Polk TL1600 coming in at 329 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204882-polk-audio-tl1600-black-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

If you went down the soundbar route then there is the LG SL8YG which runs Atmos at 3.1.2 priced at 499 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204267-lg-sl8yg-3-1-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-and-google-assistant.aspx

You could also check out the Sony HTZF9 priced at 699.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203249-sony-htzf9-soundbar.aspx
    This also allows for the SAZ9R to be added at a later date as rear speakers priced at 319 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203337-sony-saz9r-wireless-rear-speakers.aspx

These would soundbar better than your current system in my opinion all be it not as powerful as 1000W.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Thank you for replying Kenny.
    Will STRDN1080 + Wharfedale DX2 be your 1st choice? 
    How many watts this would be? 
    is there an option to get the speakers in Black? 
    I think they have the wall mount? I believe 5.1 system sounds better than soundbar setup?

in my current setup, I can control the sound system thru tv (Bravia Sync). The new system is going to be linked with LG OLEDBX TV, I assume there will no issue in setting up LG with Sony+Wharfedale?

Edit: Will you recommend the above over LG SN9YG ?

I think they have the wall mount? I believe 5.1 system sounds better than soundbar setup?

in my current setup, I can control the sound system thru tv (Bravia Sync). The new system is going to be linked with LG OLEDBX TV, I assume there will no issue in setting up LG with Sony+Wharfedale?

Hi Bbari.

Thanks for coming back to me.

Yip the DX2 can be gotten in the Black finish at the same deal price.
    The Sony 1080 is 100 Watts per channel. Wattage only dictates how loud something can go it has really no bearing on sound quality.

The DX2 do come with key hole wall mounts that fit to the back of the speakers.

Personally I feel that a 5.1 separate setup is much better than a soundbar at the same price even over the SN9YG.

There would be no issue connecting the Sony and Wharfedale to the LG OLED as its all done via HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Hi Bbari.

The Sony 1080 is 100 Watts per channel. Wattage only dictates how loud something can go it has really no bearing on sound quality.

Personally I feel that a 5.1 separate setup is much better than a soundbar at the same price even over the SN9YG.

There would be no issue connecting the Sony and Wharfedale to the LG OLED as its all done via HDMI.
    Thank you.
    Sent you PM

Hi Bbari.

Thank you.
    Sent you PM
    Cheers Bbari.

I'll revert back to it ASAP :)

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.