Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again...

Options
  • 12-03-2021 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

I had bikes in the early/mid 2000's but never got my license...

I'm considering an old Vespa just to enjoy on sunny days, I have a car which I still need. The bike is just for small trips and the craic.

I'm looking at a 200cc. I know I'll have to do a coarse and the test. I'm old enough to do the full license, but can I ride the bike after the course while I practice for the test?

Don't worry, there's also a longer term plan for a motorbike. But right now I just want the simple fun I remember from the days I had my last Vespa.

Comments

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I had bikes in the early/mid 2000's but never got my license...

I'm considering an old Vespa just to enjoy on sunny days, I have a car which I still need. The bike is just for small trips and the craic.

I'm looking at a 200cc. I know I'll have to do a coarse and the test. I'm old enough to do the full license, but can I ride the bike after the course while I practice for the test?

Don't worry, there's also a longer term plan for a motorbike. But right now I just want the simple fun I remember from the days I had my last Vespa.

Yes you can ride the bike after the doing the course, the only difficulty I see is getting a 200cc for that you'll need an A2 permit and have to do the full 18 hours of training. If you just want a scooter would you consider limiting yourself to 125cc that way you only need to do 16 hours of training and there is a crowd in Dublin where you can do your training on a scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yes you can ride the bike after the doing the course, the only difficulty I see is getting a 200cc for that you'll need an A2 permit and have to do the full 18 hours of training. If you just want a scooter would you consider limiting yourself to 125cc that way you only need to do 16 hours of training and there is a crowd in Dublin where you can do your training on a scooter.

IBT wasn’t around when I started riding, so I don’t know what’s involved, but if you need to do a test anyway, and you are old enough to get a full A licence, then I would think it is definitely worth doing that for the sake of two extra hours training.
    Everyone only wants a small bike....... until they get a small bike!! ;)

ratracer wrote: »
    IBT wasn’t around when I started riding, so I don’t know what’s involved, but if you need to do a test anyway, and you are old enough to get a full A licence, then I would think it is definitely worth doing that for the sake of two extra hours training.
    Everyone only wants a small bike....... until they get a small bike!! ;)

That's very true. As someone who has owned a 125cc scooter, I can tell you it may be fine in a city, but it's not much fun on Irish country roads. If someone is able, I'd recommend they go for a for A licence, but is someone wants to go for a category A1, then who am I to dissuade them from their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I can never understand this line of advice, it's poor at best the op clearly state they'd consider a bike. If you qualify for the full A get it and do the ibt for it.
    Why do it for A1/A2 with the possibility that you'll end up having to do the modules anyway.
    The savings are miniscule in not doing the full A ibt and it saves time and effort.

Theory test - A permit - ibt for class A - full A licence

Theory test - A1/A2 permit - ibt for A1/A2 - full A1/A2 - progressive access
    Or ibt for A1/A2 - do modules for A then sit A test

Second route for anyone over 24 is pointless, you may never want a bike over an A2 class but why limit yourself, you could easily change your mind in the morning

I disagree that the second rule is pointless. Perhaps the OP only wants a small bike that is lightweight and easy-to-use. In that case a scooter is the perfect option in my opinion, if you live in a city and all you need is a bike for commuting on a small scooter is the perfect option.

• Advertisement

I disagree that the second rule is pointless. Perhaps the OP only wants a small bike that is lightweight and easy-to-use. In that case a scooter is the perfect option in my opinion, if you live in a city and all you need is a bike for commuting on a small scooter is the perfect option.

Any decent instructor will tell you not to limit yourself.
    With bikes the vast majority of ah I only want a scooter/125/250 folk end up on something bigger and faster.

The second route eventually ends up unnecessarily costing someone more time and money. I know people who did it even though many of us advised against it, they wanted to move up in cc and type of bike and wished they'd just done it the full A from the get go.

You can ride a scooter on an A, and if you turn around in 6 months and decide you fancy a sports bike/dual sport/naked bike, basically anything beyond the A1 or even A2 you can't just immediately jump on it you've to organise another ibt and then either do another test or wait two years.

I understand your logic its just flawed, especially when the op says he has ideas about a bike down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just to clarify... If I start into this I will be going for the full license or nothing. It doesn't make sense to me to do training and a test and not be qualified to ride some bikes.

Is the potential saving on cost or time? Either way it's valuable for me to go for the full license.

I do appreciate all the advice though. It's worth working out all the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Do your IBT first and then think about what bike you want. You can do the IBT over a weekend.

Once you get on the 600cc you'll lose the idea of wanting a Vespa pretty quick I think.

You should get able to get a good 2nd hand older 600cc bike for around the €2K - I don't know how much a Vespa is but any bike starts around the €1K so I'm certain it wouldn't be much more.

You have your age going for you so getting insured on something larger shouldn'tar be an issue.

Do your IBT first and then think about what bike you want. You can do the IBT over a weekend.

Once you get on the 600cc you'll lose the idea of wanting a Vespa pretty quick I think.

You should get able to get a good 2nd hand older 600cc bike for around the €2K - I don't know how much a Vespa is but any bike starts around the €1K so I'm certain it wouldn't be much more.

You have your age going for you so getting insured on something larger shouldn'tar be an issue.
    Thanks, I do appreciate your feedback, but I've no interest in a cheap 600cc... I've ridden bikes. I know what I want. I do have a plan to get a 900 or 1200 in the future, depending on test rides etc. I'm not looking for power or speed, the vespa is a different experience and that's what I'm after right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Well since your set on it you are fine to do the IBT and then get insurance on a Vespa you can ride around while waiting for your full test date. You're supposed to wear an L tabard too.

• Advertisement

Well since your set on it you are fine to do the IBT and then get insurance on a Vespa you can ride around while waiting for your full test date. You're supposed to wear an L tabard too.

Yeh... Not sure what to think of that... :eek: won't look so cool on the vespa anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You will need to do the test on an A bike to get the full license so rent one for that

You're right, I believe that Vespa's don't qualify for the test... Plus need to do it on a big capacity bike.

In the moment you save a small amount of money ultimately it'll cost you more as doing mod 5 on its own is expensive enough.

900/1200 zxr's by any chance? Or something more uncommon?

L tabard isn't a big deal throw a bag over it, technically you're not corresponding with the conditions of your permit, but I've never been stopped or had a word said to me even by traffic Corp or bike cops.

There's a fella in carlow has some beautifully restored vespas, I wouldn't want one but I can admire a nice one.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    900/1200 zxr's by any chance? Or something more uncommon?

Nah, I'd be looking at a modern classic, with a little bit of cosmetics and modification... A Moto Guzzi V7, Triumph Bonneville... something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Royal Enfield? Went to look at a beauty with a friend in a similar position to you a while back. Left-foot gears these days. New Himalayan in the range too.

Advertisement