Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Actors

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Tom Hardy is one I love to hate him being one of the Hollywood elite. I think he's useless is basically everything he does, that I've seen anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Trump Derangement Syndrome

Ben affleck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

AllForIt wrote: »
    Tom Hardy is one I love to hate him being one of the Hollywood elite. I think he's useless is basically everything he does, that I've seen anyway.

Locke
    Bronson
    The Revenant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

First role I saw him in was the psychopathic goalkeeper The Monk in Mean Machine. Ever since then he's alright in my book!

He was the funniest thing about Spy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

crazy 88 wrote: »
    Locke
    Bronson
    The Revenant

And he was great in Taboo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Great post, I also think that sometimes people take a personal disliking to a certain actor and are bias toward him/her. I cannot stand Gerard Butler, is he a bad actor? Not sure I never give him enough time to convince me otherwise.

i intensely dislike Gerard Butler myself , he is a fairly bad actor but more to the point , every movie he has ever been in has been dog sh1t , incredible knack for picking crap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How is Jason Statham not all over this b1tch?

If he's in a film, I refuse to watch it. Simple as that
    There's a simple rule for Jason.

If he drives fast and kicks ass then it's worth watching. Otherwise go do something else.

I watched a video on Youtube recently about overrated actors. Actors who aren't necessarily bad but just overrated. She mentioned Tom Hanks because she said he doesn't have the versatility of someone like Daniel Day Lewis or even Jimmy Stewart.

I disagree with the rationale that the absence of a wide range of performances is automatically a negative against the actor. OK, Hanks may not be a chameleon as much as Day Lewis, but he has still given some excellent performances within his range.

Same with Tom Cruise or Sean Connery or a lot of other actors mentioned here. A limited range doesn't mean they are bad actors. Take a bad actor from an American daytime soap, or even some of the lesser actors from 90s Star Trek, and put them into the the roles that Cruise had in Mission Impossible and A Few Good Men, or Connery's roles in The Hill or The Untouchables, and you'd see what bad acting really is.

So I think it is unfair to equate "bad acting" with great acting within the actor's natural range. I think it is like calling a great abstract artist a bad painter because they can't paint still life.

He's one of the most versatile actors going. From comedic roles in:
    Big, Toy Story, Forrest Gump
    compared to
    Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, Captain Phillips etc

He's very underrated in the Ladykillers. A well balanced mix of comedy and drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Yes but Vin Diesel doesn't even have any range in his speaking voice , he'd be awful at anything which requires speech

I dunno, I think he manages to convey a complex range of meaning and emotions in some very popular films using only his speaking voice and three simple words...
    "I am Groot!" :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Connery gets a lot of unfair criticism I think. He made a genuine attempt to break away from the Bond typecasting. Like the no nonsense prohibition cop he played in the Untouchables and Indiana Jones's bungling dad. These were nothing like Bond. At least he made an effort outside of Bond, unlike Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan
    Connery has also done Zardoz and Darby O'Gill and the Little People YMMV

He also did Outland which is High Noon is space. A guilty pleasure.
    It's set on Jupiter's moon Io* but there's no volcanoes.

* I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go.

• Advertisement

Ben affleck

It's funny that when he was announced as Batman in Batman v Supermam people were furious. But it turns out he was the best part of that woeful movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

How is Jason Statham not all over this b1tch?

If he's in a film, I refuse to watch it. Simple as that

He was brilliant in Spy. Basically played a parody of himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Very good in

Red Rock West
    Wild at Heart
    Knowing
    Bad Lieutenant
    Leaving Las Vegas (Oscar winning)

Adaptation as well. Dual roles, plays them both really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Jason Manford turned up in an episode of Death in Paradise, that was bad acting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's funny that when he was announced as Batman in Batman v Supermam people were furious. But it turns out he was the best part of that woeful movie!

Affeck was grand, Cavill desperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And he was great in Taboo

Really great in The Drop. Underplays everything about the character. He's got amazing range.

Affeck was grand, Cavill desperate
    But Cavill owns The Witcher just by the way he walks.

Connery has also done Zardoz and Darby O'Gill and the Little People YMMV

He also did Outland which is High Noon is space. A guilty pleasure.
    It's set on Jupiter's moon Io* but there's no volcanoes.

* I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go.

You'd forgive him for Darby O'Gill, starting out and desperate for work.

Zardoz shows a man dedicated to his craft:
    https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/5483bceae4b091ba6b198ffb/1441339456299-NBGH5OV1KC1HGT3WS641/image-asset.jpeg?format=1500w&content-type=image%2Fjpeg

jeremy renner is a pretty poor actor , bar " The Town " , i dont remember ever thinking he was much more than a " smell the fart " kind of thespian ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Michael Caine same accent no matter who what he plays.
    German American Scottish posh English all done in the same London accent.

He's very underrated in the Ladykillers. A well balanced mix of comedy and drama
    You need to see the original. There is no comparison. None.

Especially when you add in the context. And refer it to Brexit too.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/dec/07/my-favourite-film-the-ladykillers
    The fable of The Ladykillers is a comic and ironic joke about the condition of postwar England. After the war, the country was going through a kind of quiet, typically British but nevertheless historically fundamental revolution. Though few people were prepared to face up to it, the great days of the Empire were gone for ever. British society was shattered with the same kind of conflicts appearing in many other countries: an impoverished and disillusioned upper class, a brutalised working class, juvenile delinquency among the mods and rockers, an influx of foreign and potentially criminal elements, and a collapse of "intellectual" leadership. All of these threatened the stability of the national character.

Though at no time did Bill Rose or I ever spell this out, look at the characters in the film. The Major (played by Cecil Parker), a conman, is a caricature of the decadent military ruling class. One Round (Danny Green) is the oafish representative of the British masses. Harry (Peter Sellers) is the spiv, the worthless younger generation. Louis (Herbert Lorn) is the dangerously unassimilated foreigner. They are a composite cartoon of Britain's corruption. The tiny figure of Mrs Wilberforce (Wilberforce was the name of the 19th-century idealist who called for the abolition of slavery) is plainly a much diminished Britannia. Her house is in a cul-de-sac. Shabby and cluttered with memories of the days when Britain's navy ruled the world and captains gallantly stayed on the bridge as their ship went down, her house is structurally unsound. Dwarfed by the grim landscape of railway yards and screaming express trains, it is Edwardian England, an anachronism in the contemporary world.

Bill Rose's sentimental hope for the country that he and I saw through fond but sceptical eyes was that it might still, against all logic, survive its enemies. A theme, a message of sorts, one that I felt very attached to. But one that it took quite some time for me to consciously recognise and appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yes but Vin Diesel doesn't even have any range in his speaking voice , he'd be awful at anything which requires speech

He voices the robot in The Iron Giant.

He's excellent in the Riddick films, specifically Pitch Black and highly bankable in the Fast and the Furious franchise.

I was amazed when I saw the King of Comedy, the most un-deniro thing he's ever done. It's a shame he got too comfortable with the hard man act
    Brazil, The Princess Bride.

Jackie Chan. Then again english is a second language for him and he is so likeable and such a great martial artist that you don't mind.

he's awful.. Bad comedy and bad movies. Stunt man turned actor. Where have I seen the before......

one man towers over everyone else in the " bad actor " stakes

Vin Diesel

he speaks in exactly the same tone in every single scene

I would be completely with you if it wasn't for Pitch black.

Yeah, it's no oscar winner but he's better in that them the true lifetime achievement award winner at the raspberry awards:

Steven Seagal. "No, I'm the cook" thats the best acting and line delivery he ever produced and it was absolutely ****e. Even his martial arts are ****ing boring.

But then I forgot all those stars in giant crocodile v giant shark movies. Do they count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Killian scott and sarah greene from the dublin murders. What is it with Irish actors that stay in Ireland, their speaking is over dramatic making them sound like a cast member of a pantomime or mrs browns boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

He was the funniest thing about Spy

“And I know there’s a f*****g Face/Off Machine”

He voices the robot in The Iron Giant.

He's excellent in the Riddick films, specifically Pitch Black and highly bankable in the Fast and the Furious franchise.

What's "bankable " got to do with it?

David Beckham was highly bankable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Arghus wrote: »
    I think Aiden Gillen is truly atrocious and wooden in every single thing he's in. I can't understand how he keeps finding work.

Absolutely brutal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Not sure what way the thread is going.

If it's naming really bad actors then we've gotta include Quentin Tarantino. He's very very bad.
    Jai Courtney (despite him being somewhat OK in Suicide Squad) is usually a reason to avoid a movie.
    Kat Dennings, I remember seeing Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist and thinking "Oh, she's maybe alright". Nope, she has nothing else to offer.

Nicolas Cage is not a bad actor, it would be great if we can all just agree on this now.

That was André the giant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭JayRoc

mick087 wrote: »
    Michael Caine same accent no matter who what he plays.
    German American Scottish posh English all done in the same London accent.

Zulu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Yam, and he was good at his profession - hence what made him bankable.
    If he wasn't a good soccer player, he probably wouldn't have been famous, wouldn't have played for Man Utd or England, wouldn't have married Posh Spice and probably wouldn't have been bankable.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Killian scott and sarah greene from the dublin murders. What is it with Irish actors that stay in Ireland, their speaking is over dramatic making them sound like a cast member of a pantomime or mrs browns boys.

Yeah he wasn’t great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Stardust, he was funny in that.

Yam, and he was good at his profession - hence what made him bankable.
    If he wasn't a good soccer player, he probably wouldn't have been famous, wouldn't have played for Man Utd or England, wouldn't have married Posh Spice and probably wouldn't have been bankable.

michael jacksons glove was bankable for a while in the 80,s

being good box office and being able to act are not intrinsically linked , plenty of examples of that down the years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Well, everything really. Major studios exist solely to make money. Tom Cruise is highly bankable, that's why he still gets top roles despite his age and the Mission Impossible franchise keeps going.

Ditto for the Fast Furious franchise. There's a reason there's about a hundred of them and that's because they keep making serious money and Diesel is a fairly big part of that success.

In short, some studios can depend on certain actors to be bankable because, frankly, the top name alone will put bums on seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Johnny depp? I think this thread might have been better as an actors that keep getting roles but are not actually that good or have a tendency to over act and hide behind that.
    I don’t have the right ‘words’ but think Jared Leto. I don’t care that he has won an Oscar either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Johnny depp? I think this thread might have been better as an actors that keep getting roles but are not actually that good or have a tendency to over act and hide behind that.
    I don’t have the right ‘words’ but think Jared Leto. I don’t care that he has won an Oscar either

Jared Leto sends his regards and advises that he doesn't care that you don't care.
    He sends this as his F-you.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Jared_Leto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Steven Seagal has been mentioned in here but he was never regarded as a great actor - just someone who could do his own stunts in laughably bad D-rate action films

Angelina Jolie, for the attention she got as an actress, isn't actually that great an actress - very wooden and always hard to empathise with

Steven Seagal has been mentioned in here but he was never regarded as a great actor - just someone who could do his own stunts in laughably bad D-rate action films
    Maybe back in the 20th century. Now he uses doubles in every scene where you can't see his face.

Churned out lots of direct to video rubbish.

• Advertisement

In 2 minds as to whether to mention Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson in this thread.

He’s absolutely brutal when he tries to act (San Andreas had to be one of the biggest piles of steaming sh1te ever made), but he’s actually quite good when he does comedy... (Central Intelligence, Baywatch etc...).

So I guess he probably isn’t a bad actor, just just bad at anything that’s not comedy acting.....
    He also comes across as an extremely nice and humble man.

Wasn’t he the highest paid actor per calendar year for a few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Dolph Lundgren. Not sure I got the spelling correct. A lot of those macho men actors are rubbish i.e Van Damme, Stallone, Snipes, Arnie. Vin Deasal. There just in the movie for their screen prescence.

He was the highest paid in 2019 and 2020.

He was 2nd in 2017 and 2018

Maybe back in the 20th century. Now he uses doubles in every scene where you can't see his face.

Churned out lots of direct to video rubbish.

Used to enjoy his movies at the time but as his ego ascended his quality was descending

Under siege and the sequel are awesome

Not sure who’s the worst musician though him or Crowe

billyhead wrote: »
    Dolph Lundgren. Not sure I got the spelling correct. A lot of those macho men actors are rubbish i.e Van Damme, Stallone, Snipes, Arnie. Vin Deasal. There just in the movie for their screen prescence.

Have to say Stallone worked and fought so hard for Rocky despite studios preferring to take the script and leave him out , that he deserves his fame :)

Used to enjoy his movies at the time but as his ego ascended his quality was descending

Under siege and the sequel are awesome

Under Siege is a very good movie (helped in no small way by Tommy Lee Jones & Gary Busey (& Colm Meaney))

Busey (when attempting to drown the crew): 'They never liked me anyway'
    Colm Meaney: 'I bet they f**kin love you now'

Under Siege 2 is a horrendous pile of steaming sh1te, serving only as a vehicle for the studio to milk the franchise for all it was worth, evidenced by the fact that the cast was a cast of nobodies other that Segal himself...

He’s absolutely brutal when he tries to act (San Andreas had to be one of the biggest piles of steaming sh1te ever made), but he’s actually quite good when he does comedy... (Central Intelligence, Baywatch etc...).

So I guess he probably isn’t a bad actor, just just bad at anything that’s not comedy acting.....

he makes a show of vin diesel in the acting stakes and The Rock is no Brando

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

When he plays straight roles, he really is offensively bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

billyhead wrote: »
    Of Course, but they're not trying to be Daniel Day Lewis. You don't watch Rocky IV for the acting. If he dies he dies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

For some reason Brad Pitts portrayal of his character in Se7en always bugged me, couldn't take to him or the way he was played. Now of course he could have been directed to play him that way, who knows.

Advertisement