Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HW Circulating Pump

• 13-03-2021 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Had no hot water last night. Checked hot water circulating pump by taking off “disc screw?” to see if pump was rotating. It was not.

I put in a flat head screwdriver to “turn pump” to ensure it was not seized *have had issues in past where it was not turning maybe due to grit or something and using a screwdriver has freed it.

Last night there was no resistance when using screwdriver to turn manually. I turned it a good bit but pump did not start rotating itself.

I reckoned the pump must be fecked and had consigned myself to having to buy one this morning. I was looking at them online before bed and saw they were E250:eek:

Got up this morning and found that we have hot water again. I checked pump and as expected it is now turning/working.

There appears to be no loose connections so is above a symptom of failing pump?

Are these pumps standard dimensions? i.e easy job to install a new one.

The pump is 14 years old and is running continuously.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

While I have your attention :)

Is pump attached an equivalent replacement...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

You have!!, is your pump for circulating hot water around the cylinder/taps or is it the circ pump that circulates water through the boiler/rads/hot water coil etc.

John.G wrote: »
    You have!!, is your pump for circulating hot water around the cylinder/taps or is it the circ pump that circulates water through the boiler/rads/hot water coil etc.

It’s actually on a heat pump hot water heat exchanger - thanks

It could be something as simple as a capacitor, if you remove the pump terminal box cover you should see it inside and should be easy to replace for €10/€15.

If this doesn't fix it then install a lamp between L and N on the pump terminal box or some convenient place close to it and if its stilll lighting and the pump isn't turning then you need a new pump.

It could be something as simple as a capacitor, if you remove the pump terminal box cover you should see it inside and should be easy to replace for €10/€15.

If this doesn't fix it then install a lamp between L and N on the pump terminal box or some convenient place close to it and if its stilll lighting and the pump isn't turning then you need a new pump.

Thanks J. Great advice.

Surprised to see cost of pump above at E200+

Is that the going rate?

Any idea where to buy capacitors?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Capacitors in electrical retails I would imagine.
    The new pump that you posted is a secondary circulating pump which has a bronze impeller.

I don't really know what hot water you are talking about, is it hot water that circulates through under floor heating/rads??
    If so, nothing special about that, if you google the exact model etc you will get a better idea, I will have a look later as well.

"It’s actually on a heat pump hot water heat exchanger"??

Capacitors in electrical retails I would imagine.
    The new pump that you posted is a secondary circulating pump which has a bronze impeller.

I don't really know what hot water you are talking about, is it hot water that circulates through under floor heating/rads??
    If so, nothing special about that, if you google the exact model etc you will get a better idea, I will have a look later as well.

"It’s actually on a heat pump hot water heat exchanger"??

Thanks again.

The pump circulates hot water to taps/showers on the house. It is an unusual heat pump set up and is attached to the HW heat exchanger.

Would a new pump be same dimensions for an easy installation. I guess these pumps are same dimensions for plug and play?

I would get on to Wilo, you will find some link on google and give them those exact details off the original pump, they should give you the current exact replacement model etc and you can then search for a equivalent replacement.

I can't imagine a pump like this circulating water to the taps/showers directly as the pump head (pressure) is far too small so
    I can only suggest the above.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I would get on to Wilo, you will find some link on google and give them those exact details off the original pump, they should give you the current exact replacement model etc and you can then search for a equivalent replacement.

I can't imagine a pump like this circulating water to the taps/showers directly as the pump head (pressure) is far too small so
    I can only suggest the above.
    Might this pump be for a continuous circulation loop? Often done nowadays so that you don't have to wait for hotwater to come all the way from cylinder each time a hot tap is turned on.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Might this pump be for a continuous circulation loop? Often done nowadays so that you don't have to wait for hotwater to come all the way from cylinder each time a hot tap is turned on.

Yep. It looks like it’s for a continuous circulation loop. In this case it is continuous circulation loop within the hot water heat exchanger.

• Advertisement

Re circulating pumps for HW cylinders are out for years and as this water is then used directly for washing purposes the pump has to be made of bronze as mild steel would corrode and discolour the hot water, this makes them relatively quite expensive, the hot water is then either gravity fed or pumped to the users. Most HW cylinders have secondary return connections but seldom used.
    So is there a HW cylinder involved and what goes through the other loop in the HW Hx. is it directly from the HP itself, ie hot gas.

Re capacitor sourcing, I think Heat Merchants might have one, just take the details off the existing one and dimensions.

Advertisement