Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat with recurring cystitis.

• 13-03-2021 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

He's a long-haired chap of unknown parentage, neutered. Indoor/outdoor. At least 9 years old, probably more. He had a kidney infection about three years ago and in the last two months he has had two bladder/UT infections, both cleared up with antibiotics. He's getting Nutracys+ with his dinners at the moment.
    Any suggestions for meals or supplements that might prevent this from recurring? It doesn't appear to bother him at all but I do not enjoy cleaning up the tiny puddles of bright red wee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Our female cat also had a tendency to get recurring attacks of cystitis. The usual antibiotics she got, forget the name but little pink pills, would sort it for a while but would always come back. Anyway in the end the vet got us to take a urine sample and cultured it to determine exactly what bacteria was causing it and then prescribed a more powerful and specific antibiotic which was a liquid (banana flavour!!!) which had to be administered in her mouth with a syringe, which was fun! Anyway, it worked, so that may be an option. I think the other antibiotic was just suppressing the infection a bit rather than completely eliminating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Alun wrote: »
    Our female cat also had a tendency to get recurring attacks of cystitis. The usual antibiotics she got, forget the name but little pink pills, would sort it for a while but would always come back. Anyway in the end the vet got us to take a urine sample and cultured it to determine exactly what bacteria was causing it and then prescribed a more powerful and specific antibiotic which was a liquid (banana flavour!!!) which had to be administered in her mouth with a syringe, which was fun! Anyway, it worked, so that may be an option. I think the other antibiotic was just suppressing the infection a bit rather than completely eliminating it.

Thanks. If it happens again, I think we'll probably have to take similar steps. I'm looking at this now: https://www.miscota.ie/cats/bioiberica/p-102311

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We always used a supplement called Cystaid. I'm not sure there's much difference between any of them though to be honest.

Alun wrote: »
    We always used a supplement called Cystaid. I'm not sure there's much difference between any of them though to be honest.

They can't do any harm, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The nutracyst+ has been a lifesaver for us. One of my boys is very prone to cystitis, we started him on two tables a day and after a couple of weeks it starts to kick in, then when he was stable we reduced it to one tablet a day. If there are times when we know he’s going to be extra stressed like a trip to the Cattery or if we had people staying in the house (pre-covid) we’d up the dose again for a couple of weeks!
    The other thing is to make sure they have plenty of fluid. If your cat isn’t great to drink then maybe consider one of the moving water fountains, and try feed more wet food instead of dry. Cats get most of their hydration from what they eat not what they drink so the more wet food the better.
    There are specific diets available for cats with urinary issues that you could talk to your vet about but I was talking to the rep from nutracyst before and they said it’s basically the same thing as what’s in the foods. It’s no harm to have them on the supplements and the food at the same time but the tablet does what the food would do!

• Advertisement

The nutracyst+ has been a lifesaver for us. One of my boys is very prone to cystitis, we started him on two tables a day and after a couple of weeks it starts to kick in, then when he was stable we reduced it to one tablet a day. If there are times when we know he’s going to be extra stressed like a trip to the Cattery or if we had people staying in the house (pre-covid) we’d up the dose again for a couple of weeks!
    The other thing is to make sure they have plenty of fluid. If your cat isn’t great to drink then maybe consider one of the moving water fountains, and try feed more wet food instead of dry. Cats get most of their hydration from what they eat not what they drink so the more wet food the better.
    There are specific diets available for cats with urinary issues that you could talk to your vet about but I was talking to the rep from nutracyst before and they said it’s basically the same thing as what’s in the foods. It’s no harm to have them on the supplements and the food at the same time but the tablet does what the food would do!

I have a water fountain for them in the house and he likes to drink out of the river too. He gets mostly wet food and there's very little stress in his life. I'm hoping the supplements will be enough to stop it recurring. This is the same chap who on three different occasions has had surgery to remove things from his intestines that he shouldn't have eaten. I haven't ruled out the possibility that he's doing this to annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 jesuischarlie

Hi I don’t think I can share links here? Google icatcare and cystitis and icatcare and flutd. Make sure your vet checks him for back pain and arthritis . It’s definitely bothering him, cystitis is really painful. Cats are experts at hiding pain.

Advertisement