Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braught goods, online trader says human error

Options
  • 13-03-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I braught some electrical item 2 weeks agoo, thought it was good deal.
    Waited for deliver. Contacted trader - but trader says price was listed wrong and is looking for remainder of amount. I don't want to pay it because I feel like I was buying a deal.
    I have screenshots of item when it was listed for price I paid. And now item is listed for crazy money.

Where do I stand on this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just a refund. He's not obliged to sell it to you at a price that was an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was it an official retailer or someone selling from Donedeal, Facebook etc? Have you already paid for the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

Paid for item. Its retailer legit business. Bit annoyed really. Just because I never got any news untill I contacted them expecting delivery.
    Era, not going to get in to fight over 100 e.
    But for sure wont be suggesting friends and family to use this retailer in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

mea_k wrote: »
    Paid for item. Its retailer legit business. Bit annoyed really. Just because I never got any news untill I contacted them expecting delivery.
    But for sure wont be suggesting friends and family to use this retailer in future.
    Because he wont honour a misprice? While he should have contacted you instead of you contacting him, it is quite extreme to say you wont be suggesting to your family and friends that they use him.

And the next link is this.
    https://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-pricing-error-rights/

If it is an error, it is different. Also if the retailer is not in Ireland, i.e. UK, are those links even relevant?

What part of your link do you think is relevant?

Calm down biker. It didn't even say in op that they bought in UK.

It's the sale of goods, supply of services act here but that doesn't apply on UK goods since Brexit.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-something-is-advertised-at-the-wrong-price/

Your legal rights depend on something fairly tricky in the law: whether or not you have a ‘contract’.

Depending on the company’s terms and conditions, you’ll have legal rights (and a contract) either:

once you’ve paid for the item
    once they’ve sent it to you
    You’ll need to find the company’s terms and conditions to find out where you stand. Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if you need help. It may be too tricky to work out yourself.

If you have a contract, the company can’t usually cancel your order, even if they realise they’ve sold you something at the wrong price. They’ll only be able to cancel it if it was a genuine and honest mistake on their part that you should’ve noticed.

There are a lot of loopholes in the UK law.

Calm down biker. It didn't even say in op that they bought in UK.

It's the sale of goods, supply of services act here but that doesn't apply on UK goods since Brexit.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-something-is-advertised-at-the-wrong-price/

Your legal rights depend on something fairly tricky in the law: whether or not you have a ‘contract’.

Depending on the company’s terms and conditions, you’ll have legal rights (and a contract) either:

once you’ve paid for the item
    once they’ve sent it to you
    You’ll need to find the company’s terms and conditions to find out where you stand. Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if you need help. It may be too tricky to work out yourself.

If you have a contract, the company can’t usually cancel your order, even if they realise they’ve sold you something at the wrong price. They’ll only be able to cancel it if it was a genuine and honest mistake on their part that you should’ve noticed.

There are a lot of loopholes in the UK law.

I am dead calm thanks. You said the ship had sailed. How exactly? Your attached link is not relevant as you dont have enough info. You linked to this.

Wrong or misleading pricing
    Traders are not allowed to display a price that is false or misleading under the Consumer Protection Act 2007. ... Generally, if you are told the correct price before you pay, you do not have the right to demand that the product is sold to you at the lower price.25 Jun 2020

A mistake is not a false or misleading price - unless you are suggesting it was deliberate? Indeed, it may be covered by the agreed terms and conditions, but we don't know them either.

The easiest solution is a refund, but the OP didn't say if they requested one.

I also said;

If it is an error, it is different. Also if the retailer is not in Ireland, i.e. UK, are those links even relevant?

I never said they were in the UK, I said if.

Seriously I'm not trying to get in an argument with you. I don't know why you're getting completely irate with me.

OP is entitled to a refund. I highlighted the act because the misleading price is, under law, the price the item must be sold for. If the owner at this point wants to demand the balance of the price, they're within their rights but I class them a Charlatan. Perhaps they made an error, in fairness, but the consumer is still left disappointed that they do not honour their contract.

The UK point you raised is spurious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Utter bullsh1t.

Another barstool expert spouting mis-information

You’re going to leave them some free money? What?

Get your money back if you’re not getting the item, there’s no fight necessary as it’s your money.

I braught some electrical item 2 weeks agoo, thought it was good deal.
    Waited for deliver. Contacted trader - but trader says price was listed wrong and is looking for remainder of amount. I don't want to pay it because I feel like I was buying a deal.
    I have screenshots of item when it was listed for price I paid. And now item is listed for crazy money.

Where do I stand on this???

Two choices.

1. Pay the extra

2. Say you no longer want the item at the normal price and get a refund.

They are your only choices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Has the customer and business not entered a contract if he has already been offered an invitation at said price, then once paid to business and money is accepted , it is a contract that must be honored ? I’ve had a few cases in my life where I paid for items in shops for instance and while walking back to car, I’ve realized that I didn’t get the items for the price listed under the items .. so went back in to shops, highlighted it and got the difference from the retailers ...even though the prices might no longer apply.. once they had it marked up on shelf at that price then they had to sell it that way.

I did have one other experience where debenhams listed a dualit toaster for cheap money online years ago... myself and friend bought them quickly ... but debenhams came back to us and said they didn’t have the items and refunded us... but had the items back up then a day later at proper price! We argued with them but got nowhere... maybe if had followed it legally we might have had some chance... don’t know

LillySV wrote: »
    Has the customer and business not entered a contract if he has already been offered an invitation at said price, then once paid to business and money is accepted , it is a contract that must be honored ? I’ve had a few cases in my life where I paid for items in shops for instance and while walking back to car, I’ve realized that I didn’t get the items for the price listed under the items .. so went back in to shops, highlighted it and got the difference from the retailers ...even though the prices might no longer apply.. once they had it marked up on shelf at that price then they had to sell it that way.

I did have one other experience where debenhams listed a dualit toaster for cheap money online years ago... myself and friend bought them quickly ... but debenhams came back to us and said they didn’t have the items and refunded us... but had the items back up then a day later at proper price! We argued with them but got nowhere... maybe if had followed it legally we might have had some chance... don’t know

No, no no no no.

This is online, not a physical transaction.

Errors are made. There's no right in any form legally or morally for someone to take advantage of an error.

Darc19 wrote: »
    No, no no no no.

This is online, not a physical transaction.

Errors are made. There's no right in any form legally or morally for someone to take advantage of an error.

Bull crap ... retailers screw over customers all the time and don’t think twice about it so not going to cry for them when they screw up and make a mess of something themselves.

These “errors” seem to be a new thing that happens alot when retailer prices something with an acceptable mark up for them then realizes he can get more going on the level of interest the product gets... pure greed! I’ve had this experience a few times recently also... but I hadn’t purchased the item so they weren’t obliged to sell item to me at price nor did I expect it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

just start a case with ebay or paypal, you'll get refunded as goods haven't been delivered

Bull crap ... retailers screw over customers all the time and don’t think twice about it so not going to cry for them when they screw up and make a mess of something themselves.

These “errors” seem to be a new thing that happens alot when retailer prices something with an acceptable mark up for them then realizes he can get more going on the level of interest the product gets... pure greed! I’ve had this experience a few times recently also... but I hadn’t purchased the item so they weren’t obliged to sell item to me at price nor did I expect it
    An online legal contract does not form at the order stage.

And your post is utter rubbish.

Any chance you can back it up with something other than a warped thought process? Eg. a link?

Where you say a retailer gave a refund because a display was priced differently - they were not legally obligated to do so, but most will do as it allows them correct the error for other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Isambard wrote: »
    just start a case with ebay or paypal, you'll get refunded as goods haven't been delivered

I don't think the issue is with getting their money back.

An online legal contract does not form at the order stage.

And your post is utter rubbish.

Any chance you can back it up with something other than a warped thought process? Eg. a link?

Where you say a retailer gave a refund because a display was priced differently - they were not legally obligated to do so, but most will do as it allows them correct the error for other customers.

I’ve reported your little insults there... step back from the keyboard if you can’t debate and stay civil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I don't think the issue is with getting their money back.

well there is no other option. No one can say that a genuine mistake wasn't made and the seller can't be expected to lose, so get a refund and move on would be my advice (or pay the extra).

The legislation allows for an error, not for a retailer to renege on a sale because they want to get more than the advertised price. There is another thread on CI where Currys advertised a €2.5k TV for €230, they have since corrected it an cancelled orders at the lower price, surely you understand that this is an error rather than Currys wanting €2k more just because they think they can?

I’ve reported your little insults there... step back from the keyboard if you can’t debate and stay civil

Can you please point out the insults.

I said your post was rubbish, which it is. That's not an insult.

Maybe I should have said "bull crap" - or are there different rules for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Because he wont honour a misprice? While he should have contacted you instead of you contacting him, it is quite extreme to say you wont be suggesting to your family and friends that they use him.

If i buy something and someone has f'd up the price, well thats life. Imagine i needed it urgently for my business.

So now i either have to pay whatever price this seller wants (good bad or ugly) or tarnish my name missing a deadline.

So either way I would be paying for their mistake.. Seems a bit unfair on me.

Tarnish away I say, the seller will learn not to make said mistakes.

Can you please point out the insults.

I said your post was rubbish, which it is. That's not an insult.

Maybe I should have said "bull crap" - or are there different rules for you?

Haha ignore the snowflakes, they melt away quick at this time of year.

If i buy something and someone has f'd up the price, well thats life. Imagine i needed it urgently for my business.

So now i either have to pay whatever price this seller wants (good bad or ugly) or tarnish my name missing a deadline.

So either way I would be paying for their mistake.. Seems a bit unfair on me.

Tarnish away I say, the seller will learn not to make said mistakes.

A bit dramatic, but the pertinent part of your post is “well that’s life”, unless you consider yourself infallible, everyone makes mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Dav010 wrote: »
    The legislation allows for an error, not for a retailer to renege on a sale because they want to get more than the advertised price. There is another thread on CI where Currys advertised a €2.5k TV for €230, they have since corrected it an cancelled orders at the lower price, surely you understand that this is an error rather than Currys wanting €2k more just because they think they can?

And I personally think that situations like this are why terms and conditions are there and allow online retailers to cancel or otherwise back out of online orders.

What I think the other poster is taking about is when a merchant offers goods at price a, sees a huge demand and cancels orders and days price b is the new price. There is still demand so suddenly price c is the new price. One change is or can be a genuine mistake, multiple is extracting the urine. And yes the multiple price change does happen and I have reported such to the relevant authority not that anything ever came off it.

Dav010 wrote: »
    A bit dramatic, but the pertinent part of your post is “well that’s life”, unless you consider yourself infallible, everyone makes mistakes.

Not dramatic when its a real world example though.

Yes it is life, if i make a mistake i make up for it, I don't expect someone else to make up for it.

Thats the difference, not sure how anyone can morally argue with that.

So I stand by my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LillySV wrote:

The contract is subject to the t&cs of the business. It is standard in t&cs that business can make mistakes in price and this voids the contract.

There is a thread right now about Curry's advertising a 2500 euro TV for 250. Lots of board members jumped on the bandwagon but they all got an email explaining the error & the promises of a refund.

It always comes down to the t&cs

• Advertisement

Not dramatic when its a real world example though.

Yes it is life, if i make a mistake i make up for it, I don't expect someone else to make up for it.

Thats the difference, not sure how anyone can morally argue with that.

So I stand by my view.

C’mon, there are very few items online that can only be bought on one site, if the reputation of your business depends to that extent on an online purchase being delivered, maybe that is something you need to look at.

Every business occasionally makes mistakes, most customers understand this, even yours.

Advertisement