Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't put weights down ! Fitter at 40?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Active recovery session 5 of xxx

Pretty sore today squatted alot lately and been biking a fair bit , decided to keep things light today.

Squat
    Usual pyramid I do now starting with just the bar working up in 10's reducing reps . Didn't want to go too heavy today as I don't want to overdo it , but wanted to do some heavier reps to test form .
    70 X 2 https://www.instagram.com/p/CPLmzpPpRe3/?utm_medium=copy_link
    80 X 1 https://www.instagram.com/p/CPLnAc-Jw3d/?utm_medium=copy_link

Did about 6 sets of 70 X 2 and 3 sets of 80 X 1 , I'm getting better feel for it now especially the bracing ( thanks ALF) although I can't brace too hard as my rib or muscle is torn so it's sore to fill lungs too hard .
    I'm going to say that 80 X 1 is a pass for a lift until someone tells me I'm wrong but for the moment it's a new 1 rep max .
    Dont be afraid to say it's a fail humble me , I'll be turning up to a contest near you soon so I need to know !

incline dumbbell row
    Intent matters as they say that's the big thing I'm learning it's not just about lifting as heavy as you can , slow and controlled can be harder with lighter weights .
    10kgs X 4 sets of 15 reps , getting easier to lean on bench pain free .

seated ohp
    4 sets of 15 at 10kgs

barbell curl
    4 sets of 15 with empty bar

Took untimed ample breaks between sets enjoying the unstructured sessions. Took 1 hour.

That's a massive improvement in a couple of days, depth fine there so just keep that up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Deano7788 wrote: »
    That's a massive improvement in a couple of days, depth fine there so just keep that up really.

Thanks man just needed a bit of guidance , cheers for advice . I'll get lower again as I get more comfortable and when rib injury heals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Agree with Deano.

One minor thing I will add is to keep driving through on the way up - I need to remind myself of this all the time. It doesn't mean it will go faster but it's just a matte of intent. Drive it hard to the top.

But main thing is big improvement in a matter of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Miles better well done

Agree with Deano.

One minor thing I will add is to keep driving through on the way up - I need to remind myself of this all the time. It doesn't mean it will go faster but it's just a matte of intent. Drive it hard to the top.

But main thing is big improvement in a matter of days!

Ok so brace , drop down then explode back up not too fast but with intent of pushing the ground away from you , then exhale ?

I'll give this a go next time , my legs where tired today that top single was about my max in me. I also can't put on the belt still moving gingerly with the niggle I have in ribs.

Once again thanks a mill cause the most important thing is to do the exercises correctly , and when you do them correct you do feel a difference in muscle activation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The one thing that got me through smolov jr squat program was being conscious to explode just as I’m coming out of the hole, thanks to Alf. Huge help.

Ok so brace , drop down then explode back up not too fast but with intent of pushing the ground away from you , then exhale ?

I'll give this a go next time , my legs where tired today that top single was about my max in me. I also can't put on the belt still moving gingerly with the niggle I have in ribs.

Once again thanks a mill cause the most important thing is to do the exercises correctly , and when you do them correct you do feel a difference in muscle activation.

Its not that it will necessarily fly up. It's more just to keep pushing through cos it looks a little like you take the foot off the accelerator towards the top.

But look, it's a minor tweak.

You've made huge strides in a couple of days.

Its not that it will necessarily fly up. It's more just to keep pushing through cos it looks a little like you take the foot off the accelerator towards the top.

But look, it's a minor tweak.

You've made huge strides in a couple of days.

Yeah your right I even exhaled half way up out of the lift .
    I'm big into marginal gains , if you can get all the little things right it all adds up to bigger gains . I'll try that tomorrow thanks 👍

Yeah your right I even exhaled half way up out of the lift .
    I'm big into marginal gains , if you can get all the little things right it all adds up to bigger gains . I'll try that tomorrow thanks ðŸ‘

Get yourself an inhaler or some more potent asthma medication so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

new2tri19 wrote:
    Belated happy birthday ! Welcome to the club , I don't have so much advice in regards what to do to get your fitness back. I only stepped foot in the gym at age 39 for the first time and did a few curls and played with machines and then left. Covid hit and I set myself up a mini home gym .

Thanks for the wishes and the reply. Sorry man I followed a load of fitness threads over the last few months and somehow mistook this one for one of the general ones when I posted. I've been following your progress and the helpful replies with interest. It's good to see a few other fellow auld lads weight training. The fitness log seems like a great way for motivation and reflection on progress. I'll have to start one up myself. Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    Thanks for the wishes and the reply. Sorry man I followed a load of fitness threads over the last few months and somehow mistook this one for one of the general ones when I posted. I've been following your progress and the helpful replies with interest. It's good to see a few other fellow auld lads weight training. The fitness log seems like a great way for motivation and reflection on progress. I'll have to start one up myself. Keep up the good work!

Start one up I love reading the other ones here to see what way others train . I also record my lift progress on an app called "strong" which just records numbers , but sometimes I'll see last week I lifted 75 X 4 and I'll have no idea how that was and have gone back to this log and read it on loads of occasions because I give detailed breakdown here . So it serves as a diary and also get great tips from more knowledgeable lifters .

Can't even find toe squats on Google , are they squatting on your tippy toes ? Sounds horrendous. I need to master the squat first before attempting toe squats.

Sorry, missed this. Toe squats are toes elevated. A trick Hanley posted here years ago. Put 2 small plates 2.5’s or whatever you can find under your toes to elevate them. I do these for most of my warmup squats. It stretches out the Achilles and when you ditch the small plates, a normal squat feel wayyy better imo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Sorry, missed this. Toe squats are toes elevated. A trick Hanley posted here years ago. Put 2 small plates 2.5’s or whatever you can find. I do these for most of my warmup squats. It stretches out the Achilles and when you ditch the small plates, a normal squat feel wayyy better imo

You can do something similar for RDLs to get more of a hamstring stretch but similarly, I had meant to ask about toe squats as well.

You can do something similar for RDLs to get more of a hamstring stretch but similarly, I had meant to ask about toe squats as well.

I hate RDL’s enough as it is

Sorry, missed this. Toe squats are toes elevated. A trick Hanley posted here years ago. Put 2 small plates 2.5’s or whatever you can find under your toes to elevate them. I do these for most of my warmup squats. It stretches out the Achilles and when you ditch the small plates, a normal squat feel wayyy better imo

I'm going to give these a go sounds good , might help with swimming I neglect stretching my ankles which I should be doing .

Active recovery day 6 of xx

I'm actually healing good today , pain down to a 3 .

Squat
    Started with 30kg for toe squats , couldn't really get into position at bottom of squat , something to work on . I'll add these in until I can do it properly .
    40 X 5
    50 X 5
    60 X 5
    70 X 3
    80 X 2
    85 X 1 new pb
    90 X 1 new pb
    I recorded the top few sets they look the same as yesterday tried to drive out of bottom it's hard at 1 max rep or close . Loaded them on Instagram if anyones interested .

Deadlift
    60 X 5
    70 X 5
    80 X 5
    90 X 5
    100 X 5 all very easy touch and go reps . Just easing back into deadlifting .

chest supported row underhand grip
    30 X 10
    40 X 10
    50 X 10
    55 X 10

seated ohp
    4 sets to 15 with 10kgs

Completed in 1 hour
    Enjoying squatting everyday now .

You really have to drive your knees out for the toe squats

Drop a little lower on the squat. Its borderline.

Its better than everything before yesterday so its your own fault for setting the bar :pac:

Drop a little lower on the squat. Its borderline.

Its better than everything before yesterday so its your own fault for setting the bar :pac:

I watched the video back after my dinner and wasnt as happy as I was initially if you have to pause it to see if you got below parallel it's not good , your right , improvement needed still . Yesterday I did some warm up warm up to open the hips , today I didn't . Tomorrow I'll be better , thanks 👍

Still can’t believe you haven’t shown us your rack yet

• Advertisement

Squat rack ? I just using squat stands at the moment im between buying a quarter rack or half rack . It depends on space I've a bike set up permanently on a trainer for zwift at other side of shed . The apex roof of the cabin means if I put half rack in the pull up bar be useless cause won't have height .
    I'm also tempted to add a rowing machine at some stage.

What footwear are you wearing?

What footwear are you wearing?

Reebok lifter pr 2 I think they are cross fit shoes , I don't know I bought them recently instead of using runners , they have a bigger heel for squatting , I wear them deadlifting aswell

tMR8KKUH.jpg

Reebok lifter pr 2 I think they are cross fit shoes , I don't know I bought them recently instead of using runners , they have a bigger heel for squatting , I wear them deadlifting aswell

Socks, cons or deadlifting shoes for deadlifting, unless you’re Clarence Kennedy

tMR8KKUH.jpg

My thoughts exactly! Maybe he posted in the wrong log

Socks, cons or deadlifting shoes for deadlifting, unless you’re Clarence Kennedy

Socks for training them and cheap penneys cons for comps!!

Socks for training them and cheap penneys cons for comps!!

When are all these comps yous talk about ?, going to have to turn up and check out the racks .
    The way this last year or so has been I'm going to actually turn up just as an excuse to get out of the house , do you need a licence or insurance or anything or just pay it and lift ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

When are all these comps yous talk about ?, going to have to turn up and check out the racks .
    The way this last year or so has been I'm going to actually turn up just as an excuse to get out of the house , do you need a licence or insurance or anything or just pay it and lift ?

None really happening yet; most of us compete with the Irish PF, but given the pandemic there hadn't been a comp since February 2020, a few had to be cancelled late last year.

The comps are most often held in Limerick and Dublin. To compete, you need to be a member (annual fee) and then there's an entry fee too.

Also this tends to be the rack used for the comps.

http://www.er-equipment.dk/er-equipment/ipf-approved-squat-bench-press-rack-10-001

• Advertisement

Not really appropriate in this day and age. Just be careful or you’ll get a name for yourself.

Advertisement