Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't put weights down ! Fitter at 40?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Not really appropriate in this day and age. Just be careful or you’ll get a name for yourself.

I plead the fifth on that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

new2tri19 wrote: »
    When are all these comps yous talk about ?, going to have to turn up and check out the racks .
    The way this last year or so has been I'm going to actually turn up just as an excuse to get out of the house , do you need a licence or insurance or anything or just pay it and lift ?

I think it would definitely open your eyes to the idea of signing up for a meet in the not-too-distant future. Last meet I did, there was a large flight (28) but there was a 155kg difference between the winning total and 10th place. There was a guy whose numbers were around your numbers now. But he got a raucous cheer like everyone else.

I think it would definitely open your eyes to the idea of signing up for a meet in the not-too-distant future. Last meet I did, there was a large flight (28) but there was a 155kg difference between the winning total and 10th place. There was a guy whose numbers were around your numbers now. But he got a raucous cheer like everyone else.

When I read that first I read "large fight "! I was thinking jaysus these things must get rowdy !

I'd turn up sure why not , lifes too short to be worried about what other people think of you and the truth is nobody really cares , everyone has there own goals.

I used to do Parkrun alot and won a few times but would stick around and cheer the people coming in for the next half an hour or so . Everyone is at a different stage has different commitments, available time , priorities.

When you say 155kg difference do you do 3 lifts and they add them all up , like one day it's bench X 3 ? Or is it bench squat ohp and deadlift added together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

When I read that first I read "large fight "! I was thinking jaysus these things must get rowdy !

I'd turn up sure why not , lifes too short to be worried about what other people think of you and the truth is nobody really cares , everyone has there own goals.

I used to do Parkrun alot and won a few times but would stick around and cheer the people coming in for the next half an hour or so . Everyone is at a different stage has different commitments, available time , priorities.

When you say 155kg difference do you do 3 lifts and they add them all up , like one day it's bench X 3 ? Or is it bench squat ohp and deadlift added together?

So all done in one session, squat, bench and then deadlift, normally there's a flight A and B. Flight A will complete their squats first, you get 3 attempts at them, each round will go lightest to heaviest and then back to the start for second round and then again third round. Then flight B will complete their squats while flight A warm up for bench, and then the same process for bench and deadlifts. Your total then is the best of each of the 3 lifts added together.

You have 3 attempts at squat, bench and deadlift and your total is the best of each. So say your day looked like this:

Squat: 120kg, 140kg, 150kg
    Bench: 90kg, 95kg, 100kg
    Deadlift: 140kg, 160kg, 180kg

Well done cos you've gone 9 for 9 but your total would be adding 150kg squat, 100kg bench and 180kg deadlift....so a 430kg total.

• Advertisement

You have 3 attempts at squat, bench and deadlift and your total is the best of each. So say your day looked like this:

Squat: 120kg, 140kg, 150kg
    Bench: 90kg, 95kg, 100kg
    Deadlift: 140kg, 160kg, 180kg

Well done cos you've gone 9 for 9 but your total would be adding 150kg squat, 100kg bench and 180kg deadlift....so a 430kg total.

Seems like a good day out , I'll definitely go along and spectate next time there's one on in Dublin and then give it a go . Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Have been reading up on bracing on the back of discussion on this log. So many good tips available here - https://www.google.com/search?q=cue+for+bracing+squats&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB820GB820&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.69i59i450l8.32628j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Have been reading up on bracing on the back of discussion on this log. So many good tips available here - https://www.google.com/search?q=cue+for+bracing+squats&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB820GB820&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.69i59i450l8.32628j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://youtu.be/u-mhjK1z02I

Brian Alsruhe's videos on breathing and bracing really made a noticeable difference for me.

Great video and link there very good information. Unfortunately I'm struggling to brace hard as I think I've a torn/damaged intercostal muscle , you can feel the difference not bracing 100%.

Active recovery day 7 ?

Squat
    Everyday is a squat day now , used to hate squats now I look forward to them .
    20/30/40/50/60 X 5
    70 X 4
    80 X 2
    85 X 1
    90 X 1 horrible lift lost my control at bottom leaning forward to much
    Freeze frame against last night shows I'm deeper .
    And back down other side of pyramid.

bent over row
    4 sets of 15 with 30kg

seated ohp
    4 sets of 15 with 10kgs

single arm row
    4 sets of 15 with 10kgs

Completed in about 50mins
    Back was sore today , rib still niggling me it's at awkward spot side of rib radiates back to front . Think deadlifts where too soon yesterday not having the strength to brace means back suffered today .

• Advertisement

Active recovery day 8 of x

squat
    The usual warm ups
    85 X 1 not good leaning forward https://www.instagram.com/p/CPT2KgCpXNU/?utm_medium=copy_link
    90 X 1 a bit better am I too deep now ? https://www.instagram.com/p/CPT2XS7pEiM/?utm_medium=copy_link
    95 X 0 :o watch a grown man fail to lift 95kg :o
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CPT2ljepUM8/?utm_medium=copy_link

dumbell row incline
    4 sets of 15kg for 12 reps

tricep extension
    4 sets of 12 at 7.5kgs

barbell curl
    4 sets of 12 at 25kg

seated ohp
    4 sets of 12 at 12.5kgs

New quarter rack coming tomorrow so the situation that happened above won't be happening again .
    My rib is feeling better more confidence bracing , need to avoid jerky movements like that failed lift but seem ok so far .
    Completed 1 hour

You're doing paused squats :pac:

Depth is great but you need to pop out of the bottom...not stop.

I guess its probably happening because you're trying so hard to get deeper than what feels like is deep enough.

You're doing paused squats :pac:

Depth is great but you need to pop out of the bottom...not stop.

I guess its probably happening because you're trying so hard to get deeper than what feels like is deep enough.

Yeah your right (as usual ) I don't think I need to be going for 1 rep max now I have depth under control I think I'll work at around 70kg for sets to 5 get more control and able to practice driving up out of the hole and get stronger at that 70kg range .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm so bad for that it's like I stop down there and have a ponder about my life
    Good job though looking good the pause isn't the worst I think
    I know you're working on a million things but at some stabe maybe get in the habit of standing still for a second after you finish the squat - will need that for comp which you said you wanted

Not too deep no you may find once it gets heavier you go higher anyway

I'm so bad for that it's like I stop down there and have a ponder about my life
    Good job though looking good the pause isn't the worst I think
    I know you're working on a million things but at some stabe maybe get in the habit of standing still for a second after you finish the squat - will need that for comp which you said you wanted

:D pondering about my life :D , I was thinking how am I going to go out of here without twisting my rib .
    Cheers I will stand still I was actually ok to stand on the 90 the 85 I lost it and was falling forward . Good tip though.
    And there you casually squatting 114kg without summersaulting around the house :D well done your flying

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Feck that pondering life in the hole. I try to get out of there as quick as I can. Doesn’t mean I do though ;). You need to get some safety bars too.
    I wonder would knee sleeves help you a bit. Kind of giving you a gentle nudge up

Feck that pondering life in the hole. I try to get out of there as quick as I can. Doesn’t mean I do though ;). You need to get some safety bars too.
    I wonder would knee sleeves help you a bit. Kind of giving you a gentle nudge up

Squat rack getting delivered tomorrow. I don't want to become dependent on sleeves if I can avoid it . I have the depth now so I'll just work with my 1 rep max been 90kg . I'm not going to keep testing max , I just wanted to be sure I could just the depth on the higher weight because getting depth on lower weight is straight forward.

Ill put a plan together for next few weeks probably squat 5 sets of 5 at 65 then 70/72.5/75 for a couple of weeks while waiting for body to heal so I can start Jacked and tanned again .
    I've squatted 6 days in a row now , tomorrow I've a extended bike commute and a run at lunch and planned long bike home so I'll take a day off squats .

You're getting there where you'll just know when it comes together. You'll be happy with the depth, the speed etc. Early days...you'll find your way there.

And agreed, no need for sleeves

What rack did you go with?

What rack did you go with?

https://www.adverts.ie/23362442
    I got that it won't take up much room and seems to do the job . It's no too expensive either so I can upgrade if it's no use but for the moment them spotter arms should take the weight I'm lifting handy enough .

• Advertisement

Did ya get the new rack set up?

Did ya get the new rack set up?

It was delayed , coming tonight actually I'll upload a photo and give my opinion on it if anyone is interested.

I did a long bike Wednesday and run and a bike Thursday also . Then I was invited to a game of golf Thursday which I stupidly didn't turn down . Although I didn't plan to knock the leather off the ball it's hard to resist . Woke up this morning very very tender around the rib muscles so not training . Feels like forever since I squatted .

Active recovery day 9 ?

More random unstructured training this week. I always find if I drop the intensity of my training I get really tired and hard to get going again .
    Squat rack arrived , it's solid job aesthetically it could be a little better but it's in a shed not a showroom and it will take more weight than I can ever load on it .

Bench
    Haven't benched in ages decided to give it a go , arching the back didn't put too much strain on my rib once I stayed tight .
    5 sets of 8 @ 50kg

T Bar row
    5 sets of 8 @ 40kg

seated ohp
    5 sets of 8 @30kg

skullcrushers
    5 sets of 8 @ 25kg

squats
    5 sets of 5 @50kg

barbell curl
    5 set of 8 @ 30kg

Nothing too strenuous tonight completed in an hour . Just getting back into it after a few days off , probably mid June before I start J&T again.

I think you were a bit far away from the rack.

I think you were a bit far away from the rack.

Thanks Dtp do you mean in terms of catching on the spotter arms if I fail ? Or is my form off ?
    I was lifting very light so wasn't concerned with location of spotter arms if your concern is the former .

Take off those runners before you squat again.

Do you always squat in runners like that?

Take off those runners before you squat again.

Do you always squat in runners like that?

Reebok Lifter PR II Shoes Mens https://g.co/kgs/WDRbZ1
    These are lifting shoes I bought for squatting

Reebok Lifter PR II Shoes Mens https://g.co/kgs/WDRbZ1
    These are lifting shoes I bought for squatting

Ah ok. They just look like runners and that made me wince.

Ah ok. They just look like runners and that made me wince.

Same here. I was just about to mention them too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dtp do you mean in terms of catching on the spotter arms if I fail ? Or is my form off ?
    I was lifting very light so wasn't concerned with location of spotter arms if your concern is the former .

Start as you mean to go on n all that. Yes I only meant in terms of distance. You were too close to the edge. Get used to taking 2 steps back when you unrack the bar. Try and perfect this so you’re not doing a little dance trying to position your feet (not saying you’re doing that now btw). It’ll mean less time holding the weight.

Advertisement