Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't put weights down ! Fitter at 40?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Anyone can do a competition. If you're going to try and set a PR, what better way to do it than on a platform in front of a room full of supportive people :)

Yeah never even knew there was competitions not that id veer turn up !
    I did see a challenge the other day 500lbs deadlift and sub 5 mile back to back . Now that could be good target for this time next year I dunno how possible 226kg would be though

Week 4 Day 3 OHP

Got up porridge fruit and then brown bread and scrambled egg with mostly egg white and one egg . I need to start eating more I'm not really sure why I'm tracking calories anymore outside of making sure i get enough protein , I mean I'm lean to look at so I'll consider where to go with this . I certainly feel better lifting weights when I'm not cutting calories.

T1 ohp
    find 4 rep max and 3 working sets of 38.5kg

Last week 6 rep at 45kg I didn't want to go with the flow and do 47.5kg but I want to do an honest effort .

20 X 10
    30 X 8
    40 X 3
    Load 50 onto bar conscious not to stand around looking at it too long and just get on with it but also want to give my arms a chance to relax after warm up sets . Do you rest between warm up sets ? I don't maybe I should .
    Just lift it ffs it's going up .
    50 X 4 boom I'd like to say I stood there with a solid body and lifted these cleanly but id be lying , these weren't pretty I knew it be tough was prepared to fail but once I had 2 clean lifts I wasn't stopping , last one was not a work of art but it's up .
    Working sets of
    38.5kg X 3/3/9*amrap

T2a incline bench press
    5 sets of 4 at 50kg

Nothing to report felt heavy enough good stretch in the chest .off 1 minute.

T2b Pendlay row
    find 8rep max and 3 more mrs

I was advised to drop out upright row as they can cause injuries . Using strong app I picked Pendlay row as replacement. New exercise.
    Went with 30kg X 10 warm up touching bar to chest then loaded 50kg did 3 with bar to chest then 55kg for some reason I excepted the fact that bar wasn't hitting chest now but finished 2-3 inches away but I didn't deload like I should have I did 8 out of stubbornness then 6/5/4 for max rep sets where the bar possibly ended up 4-5 inches away from chest in later reps. I messed this up, will fix it for next time , deload and do it properly , not sure why I didn't just deload .

T2c Kneeling landmine shoulder press
    find 8 rep max and 3 more mrs

Last week was 35/31.25 for right left but advice from Alf was same weight each side .I wanted to cut time down on these so just did left / right then rest instead of completing one side then the other which you have to if changing weights.

35kg X 8/6/5/4 each side did same . Off 35 seconds .

T3a plank , reverse crunch , ankle taps
    3 rounds of 90 seconds plank , 20 reverse crunch and 45 taps .abs sore so good .

T3b landmine T bar row
    find 14 rep max and 3 more mrs

I feel like there wasn't enough back work or lats work today so did this instead of some isolation stuff. This is fast becoming my favourite exercise , didn't use a towel just gripped the barbell .
    55kg X 14/10/8/6 I'm loving the way you can the back muscles as you squeeze at top. Off 45 seconds .

1 hour 15 mins completed

Positives - lots , Hitting 50kg x 4 is a new pr for estimate max , t bar row is awesome and my back is getting big , more food more energy .
    Negatives - lazyness over Pendlay row .

I might bike for an hour tonight . Tomorrow off then squat day Saturday , chest Sunday is initial plan , would also like to get an hour run in , will see how the weekend goes .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just a note...pendlay row and upright row are hitting very different muscle groups. Not an issue in and of itself but just in case you were looking to have something something to work shoulders more, pendlay rows are not it.

But given you have 3 pressing movements, it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dare I suggest db Rev flys to hit the rear delts upper back.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Dare I suggest db Rev flys to hit the rear delts upper back.

Pendlay rows will do that anyway.

But a fan of reverse flys. Probably more a T3 exercise

• Advertisement

Thanks lads exercise selection is a big problem. The main two exercises are pre selected on plan thankfully . Then it's recommended that the second T2 exercise is a back exercise .
    For the rest of the days I just make it up as best I can so any help is great .

I've an incline bench and a set of dumbells 5-25kg coming on 11th April from gymless that should set me up for more T3 exercises , I also got more plates to take me to over 200kg that will be motivation to one day lift that amount ! at the moment I have one set of 10kg dumbells that aren't great I rarely use them.

Its hard to pick exercises I'm reluctant to hire a coach I feel I'm getting close to getting a good weeks training in thanks to tips from here and reading others logs .

I see others doing kettlebells would getting a few kettlebells gr around 16-20-24kg-27kg be worthwhile also ?

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Thanks lads exercise selection is a big problem. The main two exercises are pre selected on plan thankfully . Then it's recommended that the second T2 exercise is a back exercise .
    For the rest of the days I just make it up as best I can so any help is great .

I've an incline bench and a set of dumbells 5-25kg coming on 11th April from gymless that should set me up for more T3 exercises , I also got more plates to take me to over 200kg that will be motivation to one day lift that amount ! at the moment I have one set of 10kg dumbells that aren't great I rarely use them.

Its hard to pick exercises I'm reluctant to hire a coach I feel I'm getting close to getting a good weeks training in thanks to tips from here and reading others logs .

I see others doing kettlebells would getting a few kettlebells gr around 16-20-24kg-27kg be worthwhile also ?

There are lots of things you can use in reality but I don't know if you'd benefit from adding kettlebells to your equipment yet unless you think they would serve a purpose.

Week 4 Day 4 Squat day

I'm getting much better at this exercise since I stopped doing half squats and actually did them to proper depth. I'm still realtively new to squatting and havent ever failed a squat I'll always stop with a couple in the tank which is a problem when trying to find 2 and 1 rep max .But for the moment until I'm totally comfortable with the movement pattern and form I'm squatting within myself and stopping when it gets a bit sticky.
    find 4 rep max
    Warm up
    40 X 10
    50 X 8
    60 X 4
    70 X 2
    80 X 4 last week was 70 X 6
    They where good squats.
    Working sets at 70kg for 3/3/10* amrap ... 10 X 70 I expect is stronger than 80 X 4 but when I run this whole thing again I'll do squat more aggressive but for now I'm ok with that.

T2a Deficit deadlifts
    5 sets of 4 at 98kg I'll go 100kg it's close enough to not fiddle with smaller plates

As I said in questions thread I made a mistake and a made a 5 inch platform for these which resulted in my foot not been able to fit under the bar just my toes , therefore bar not as close to body as ideal .
    First one I knew this wasn't going to be a walk in the park . Damn that's a long way up from down there was my reaction .
    I could feel this more on my lower back and quads. These where hard enough 5 sets to 4 off 90 seconds , glad to get it ticked off . Next time off 2 inch plint.

T2b chest supported row underhand grip
    find 8 rep max and 3 more max rep sets

Another new exercise reversing the grip seems like it would target a different muscle group .
    Last week 55 X 10 overhand
    Some warm up and I knew 55 X 8 was all I had
    55x 8/5/5/4 off 45 seconds

T2c Bulgarian split squats
    find 8 rep max and 3 more mrs

Some warm up balance not great bit of faffing about with back shoe on bench went shoeless it helped.

40 X 8/7/7/7 and 40 X 8/7/7/7 left side

T3a assisted pull up

I can't do 14 reps so used a band lighter thanadg week for some assistance.
    14 was perfect for first set then 8/6/5 for max rep sets off 45 seconds , 45 seconds is gone so quick .

T3b leg extensions with band

Heavier band 14/12/10/8 both sides .

T3c Hammer curl with band
    14 rep max and 3 more mrs

Heavier band than last week 14/11/8/7

Completed 1 hour 25 mins .

Positives - felt stronger on pull ups and my squat technique is better .
    Negatives - deadlift platform I messed up on.

Tomorrow more biking and Sunday , bench day . Feeling like I've more energy this week I'm either getting used to training 4 days a week or its getting easier. Might add more volume next few weeks add more runs in .

Are you low bar or high bar squatting ?

Are you low bar or high bar squatting ?

High bar I had to Google to check I didn't know low bar was a thing until now I rest the bar on my traps.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry about what type of squatting you're doing. Find where the bar feels comfortable and fire away.

I wouldn't worry about what type of squatting you're doing. Find where the bar feels comfortable and fire away.

Yep totally. Would it be any harm to try both and see which feels the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Absolutely no harm and what feels best may changer over time depending on a bunch of factors. It's also useful to just change up your variations every now and then for a different focus. Low bar had pretty my main back squat for a good while but when I get back in the gym I'm planning on running a programme that has me doing a hypertrophy block using HB.

Absolutely no harm and what feels best may changer over time depending on a bunch of factors. It's also useful to just change up your variations every now and then for a different focus. Low bar had pretty my main back squat for a good while but when I get back in the gym I'm planning on running a programme that has me doing a hypertrophy block using HB.

There is no issue with squatting as is so I don't think there is a need to start changing bar position just yet. They're pretty new to squatting...I think they might be better served, in the short term, by focussing on the movement patterns and developing consistency before trying out different bar positions.

Just work on the fundamentals and get that bit down. Changing bar position can come with time if they want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Where is the program from ?

There is no issue with squatting as is so I don't think there is a need to start changing bar position just yet. They're pretty new to squatting...I think they might be better served, in the short term, by focussing on the movement patterns and developing consistency before trying out different bar positions.

Just work on the fundamentals and get that bit down. Changing bar position can come with time if they want

I'll be honest I'm watching the rugby and wasn't paying much attention to the context. Was just replying to dtp's post. Agree a beginner shouldn't worry about it and just focus on getting the movement patterns down. Although I think new2tri has been squatting for a year or so? Wouldn't be doing something silly like switching every session but some people could certainly be at the level where trying out the difference between the two is fine imo.
    holdfast wrote: »
    Where is the program from ?

It's Jacked and Tan 2.0 - http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/2016/07/jacked-tan-20.htmlhttp://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/2016/07/jacked-tan-20.html

I'll be honest I'm watching the rugby and wasn't paying much attention to the context. Was just replying to dtp's post. Agree a beginner shouldn't worry about it and just focus on getting the movement patterns down. Although I think new2tri has been squatting for a year or so? Wouldn't be doing something silly like switching every session but some people could certainly be at the level where trying out the difference between the two is fine imo.

It's Jacked and Tan 2.0 - http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/2016/07/jacked-tan-20.htmlhttp://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/2016/07/jacked-tan-20.html

There was a reference to having been copying squats he saw a triathlete do early in the log and then realising it was wrong so it seems squatting to depth is new and that in itself takes time to just get used to.

No issue with trying other variations but just to keep it simple in the short term til they're just more comfortable with it and consistent so that they're not second guessing themselves with it.

And by all means then go for low bar but no need to rush into it just yet.

Sorry lads just checking in , yeah it's jacked and tanned program all the info in that link that was kindly posted up above.

I'm not against trying new things I don't mind trying a low bar .
    I'm squatting about a year but as mentioned above I was only squatting half way down as Joe Skipper the triathlete said cyclists shouldn't squat to parallel as the position you are in on bike in TT position means a quarter of half squat is more beneficial.
    So I was squatting down half way or less but felt it was hard to judge and it was inconsistent. So after the first week or so of this plan I decided to try squat properly I watched an Alan Thrall video and am getting crease of hips below knee .
    So although I'm probably squatting a year in only squatting to depth a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Cheers the two things I can never looked like jacked and tanned, damn you Irish genies and my sweet tooth.

Week 5 Day 1 Bench

2 rep max attempt , 4 rep max was 67.5kg
    My 1 rep max was 72.5kg
    Warm up
    50 X 5
    60x 3
    65 X 2 not sure what to do after this rep attempt 72.5 or more warm up , I go for a single
    70 X 1 ... Goes up easy enough
    I load 72.5 onto bar for a 2 rep max attempt , it's currently my 1 rep max , I'm confident I'll get it but the energy used might mean I fail an attempt at 75kg .
    Load 75kg onto bar instead .
    75kg X 2 went up easier than expected first rep really clean second one sticky about 4-6 inches off chest then up ok.
    Load up 77.5kg take 2 mins and can barely get it out of j hooks , I actually got out from bar and checked i didn't add 2 X 2.5kg instead of 2 X 1.25kg but no it was 77.5kg , lowered touch chest and nothing ... Disappointing not to get 1 rep but happy to have a new pb at 75 X 2.

4 working sets of 2 at 56kg 2/2/2/12* amrap , 56 X 12 actually shows as my strongest lift of the day ahead of 75 X 2 , I'm guessing these calculations are as useful though as telling someone who ran a 5k in 19 mins they can run a marathon in 3 hours flat so I take little head. But 56 X 10 was my 10 rep max from week one so I am getting stronger on this plan for sure .

T2a close grip bench
    6 sets of 2 at 46kg

I went with the 56 that was on the bar as this is programmed very light did them off 1 min no trouble .

T2b T bar row
    find 6 rep max and 3 more max rep sets

70 X 8 last week so went with 80.
    80 X 6 felt like id a couple left in tank but hindsight was too light 80 X 6/6/9* I finished with a true amrap you should not do more than 6 as it should be impossible but a bit of stubbornness I wanted to empty the tank . All off 45 seconds

chest dip weighted
    find 6 rep max and 3 more mrs

I had 15kg X 8 last week so after some bodyweight warm ups went with 17.5kg X 6/6:mad:/5/5 I managed to mess this up aswell I don't think 6 is my max if I can do another 6 45 seconds later :confused:

T3a skullcrushers
    find 12 rep max and 3 more mrs

30kg X 12/10/7/5 off 45 seconds .

T3b barbell curls
    find 12 rep max

32.5kg X 12/9/7/5

I was going to do something else but my arms where fried 1 hour 10 mins had passed and I had a hard bike session last night so I'll rest and do a run or bike later instead of more weights .

Positives - bench pb
    Negatives - messed up a couple of max rep attempts

• Advertisement

holdfast wrote: »
    Cheers the two things I can never looked like jacked and tanned, damn you Irish genies and my sweet tooth.

:D I'm neither jacked nor tanned , pudgey and pale be more apt for me !

2 mins rest after a X2 Max attempt is asking a lot

2 mins rest after a X2 Max attempt is asking a lot

What rest time would you suggest ? I feel like I've fully recovered but clearly not it's hard to judge how much is gone out of the muscles .
    Next week it's a 1 rep max attempt what would be the heaviest warn up lift ? And would you go 77.5kg X 1 rest then go at 80kg or go straight to 80 fail and then try 77.5? Thanks

What rest time would you suggest ? I feel like I've fully recovered but clearly not it's hard to judge how much is gone out of the muscles .
    Next week it's a 1 rep max attempt what would be the heaviest warn up lift ? And would you go 77.5kg X 1 rest then go at 80kg or go straight to 80 fail and then try 77.5? Thanks

Alf would do a better job at answering than me. Generally lower rest time if yer building muscle. I’ve often taken 5min + when I’m doing heavy heavy sets.

4 working sets of 2 at 56kg 2/2/2/12* amrap , 56 X 12 actually shows as my strongest lift of the day ahead of 75 X 2 , I'm guessing these calculations are as useful though as telling someone who ran a 5k in 19 mins they can run a marathon in 3 hours flat so I take little head. But 56 X 10 was my 10 rep max from week one so I am getting stronger on this plan for sure .

The more reps involved the more inaccurate those calculators are due to it becoming more about endurance than strength. It also varies a bit by person, but for me anywhere from 3 reps down is usually pretty accurate.

In terms of rest there's probably no harm in taking 3 minutes or so for your top sets. You don't want your failure to be down to unnecessary fatigue. I know some very strong people like Brian Alsruhe try and keep to 90 seconds but the vast majority of strength athletes would take very long breaks as they get up closer to a 1rm. Hafthor for example could take 10 minutes between attempts. Not necessary for people who aren't using such ridiculous weights. But generally I'd say 3 - 5 minutes is a good idea for the average lifter going for a 3-1rm.

The more reps involved the more inaccurate those calculators are due to it becoming more about endurance than strength. It also varies a bit by person, but for me anywhere from 3 reps down is usually pretty accurate.

In terms of rest there's probably no harm in taking 3 minutes or so for your top sets. You don't want your failure to be down to unnecessary fatigue. I know some very strong people like Brian Alsruhe try and keep to 90 seconds but the vast majority of strength athletes would take very long breaks as they get up closer to a 1rm. Hafthor for example could take 10 minutes between attempts. Not necessary for people who aren't using such ridiculous weights. But generally I'd say 3 - 5 minutes is a good idea for the average lifter going for a 3-1rm.

Brian alsruhe does a lot of strongman training so I’d imagine the shorter rest helps strongman style events where they need a certain level of cardio or muscular endurancey stuff.

I find after 5 mins you start to cool down and get stiff.

I'd agree with all of the above.

As for how to go up through the weights, you just need to gauge but going for 80 on the basis that it you miss, you can pick off 77.5 is not a good strategy. Just gauge it like today with the intention of 75 being the last warm up for an attempt at 80 but if it feels slow, just take 77.5. It's a figure to build off and I'd guard against misses at this point.

The main reason being that as you build time under the bar and strength, if you're making every lift then you'll come to the 2RM and 1RM tests knowing nothing but making all your lifts and confidence is important as it gets heavy.

Great advice thanks guys

week 5 Day 2 Deadlift
    Monday 5th April .
    Wasn't planning on training today but Liverpool march on Tuesday meant I had to juggle things around, i enjoy sitting on turbo to watch matches.

T1 Deadlift
    Lots of interruptions as wife can't get Netflix working then kids are out talking to me and I consider canning the session not in the right mindset, then decide I'll just do deadlift and front squat and call it a night .

My deadlift 1 rep max is set at 140 but I check strong app and I know I've never lifted 140 , I didn't do a 1 rep max check on deadlift before program started but I've been running deadlift more aggressively than the other lifts because you don't need spotters and stuff and it either goes up or it doesn't.
    I'm pessimistic about lifting 140 because I've never got passed 135 for 2 for 1 set on the gzclp program .

Warm up
    50 X 7
    80 X 3
    100 X 2
    120 X 1
    130 X 1 ... This was super hard and I wonder how I did 130 X 4 last week , things just feel a bit heavier tonight.
    I'm inbetween loading 135 and 140 but go 140 with Alf's words in my ear just lift it commit and lift no hanging about .
    140 X 2 nice it goes up it's a new 1 and 2 rep max and broke through a plateau I've been at for last couple of months so I'm impressed by the program .
    Working sets of 110 X 2/2/2/4* amrap ( amazing how light the first set of 110 felt after lifting 140 compared to on my way up to lifting 140) 4 wasn't a true amrap but I was getting a bit tired I pre decided to just lift 4 .

T2a Front squat
    7 sets of 2 at 70kg

I just realised this week it's 7 sets of 2 for some reason I didn't notice and only did 6 sets to 2 on bench day. 7 sets is a bit of a slog if your to take the recommended 2-3 mins rest . I settle on 1 min.
    It's funny couldn't front squat at all now I love this exercise, prefer it to back squat , the best advice I got on squat is to brace like your about to be punched and hold it till your back up , when I forget this for first lift felt horrible then back to normal , lovely depth hips well below knee .
    70 X 2 X 7 easy .

I'll keep going despite kids interrupting me again.

T2b Pendlay row
    find 6 rep max and 3 more max rep sets

55 X 8 last week but I have an asterisk against it as I wasn't touching bar to chest .
    50 X 6 much better form and 5/5/4 for the max rep sets .

T2c hip thrust
    find 6 rep max and 3 more mrs
    Messed this up last week did 70 X 8 and all Mrs where 8 .
    Lots of faffing about , the bench is hurting my back , my feet are slipping again meh this exercise never seems easy to set up might program it out .

Load 90kg onto bar thinking I'll just go heavy so I don't have to crawl out from under bar and add more weight .
    90 X 6/6/6/6 :mad: how strong are your hips ffs

T3a plate raise

Tie a 15kg and 2.5kg plate together as it was 15kg for 14 reps last time .
    17.5kg for 12 (perfect ) and then 9/7/5 off 45 seconds.

T3b barbell shrugs

Just wanted to give this exercise a go , never seems that straightforward my inclination is to run the bar against the body but manhood gets in the way so I mean forward slightly it's not my favourite exercise it just doesn't feel like I'm doing it right .
    Load 60kg onto bar for 12/10/10/10 I stopped each time because I was leaning forward awkwardly and felt it was straining my back more than working where it should . I think Upright row might be a better exercise for me than this for future , can't win them all.

Positives - new deadlift record , this plan has managed to eek out that little bit more than the last plan.
    Negatives - hip thrusts are a bit of a faff my bench is not great to do them up against quite sharp . Shrugs still not right .

Completed in 1 hour 20 lots of that time faffing about , need to look at exercise selection think I need more lat work and back work .

Anyway next up OHP

• Advertisement

While you haven't mentioned any form checks or issues with it on deadlift, just record your sets from the side and make sure. Sometimes it feels ok but looks less so on the video. Better to just keep it in check at this early stage.

But well done on dismissing the negative thoughts.

Advertisement