Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't put weights down ! Fitter at 40?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

week 6 Day 4 Squat
    Everyday is a schoolday :o

T1 squat
    Find 1 rep max

2 rep max was 90 last week , lots of squatting tonight
    20 X10
    40 X 8
    50x 6
    60 X 4
    70 X 3
    80 X 2
    90 X 1
    100 X 0 :( I dropped down A2G and for the first time can't get back up , I'm just sitting there like an Asian does so comfortably but I've 100kg on my back and I don't just want to drop it on the floor. I stay there for what seems like an age perfectly balanced but now getting really uncomfortable
    . I take the left arm off the bar and try control it leaning it down to one side but as soon as it tilted it went and crashed a little to floor no damage done except to my pride.
    I won't make that mistake again .
    Took a few minutes to set up a couple of sawhorses at right height and tried a 95 which I failed and knew I'd fail but was more about seen would they hold the bar , no bother .

T3a incline bench row
    Find 10 rep max and 3 more max rep sets .

Just wanted to use my new dumbells
    20kg was too light
    22.5kg X 10 /9/8/6 off 45 seconds nice exercise .

T3b lying leg curl
    Find 10 rep max and 3 more

Banded attached to ankles
    Right side 10/8/7/5 left side 10/7/6/6 off 45 seconds

T3c weighted step ups
    Find 10 rep max and 3 more mrs

I find it hard to find a rep max on these I always seem to be able to do 1 more no matter what weight , anyway used dumbells cause low ceiling means barbell runs close to cabin ceiling if I'm not bang in center .

25kg dumbells 10/10/10/10 on both sides off 45 seconds
    There must be some arm muscles use in these my arms were feeling it holding the dumbells as much as my legs , I might be doing them wrong but seems a basic enough exercise to get right , just step up onto a box and back off .

Completed in 1 hour 15 but I was fluting about with sawhorses and 5 mins under a bar wondering how at 40 this is where I'm at .
    Onwards nothing negative or positive. 1 rep max week done .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I clearly remember how nervous I was going for 100kg the first time. It seemed like such a huge weight snd I was so proud that I could attempt to lift so much. Nowadays, that weight is part of my warmup. It won’t be long before you go well past that too.

Ps, always use safety’s

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

new2tri19 wrote: »
    T3c weighted step ups

25kg dumbells 10/10/10/10 on both sides off 45 seconds
    There must be some arm muscles use in these my arms were feeling it holding the dumbells as much as my legs , I might be doing them wrong but seems a basic enough exercise to get right , just step up onto a box and back off .

Completed in 1 hour 15 but I was fluting about with sawhorses and 5 mins under a bar wondering how at 40 this is where I'm at .
    Onwards nothing negative or positive. 1 rep max week done .

The step up isn't something I'd be overly concerned about a certain rep max with. It's a gauge for a useful weight but it's one of those exercises that you can lose the benefit from by going too heavy because how you move changes what muscles are used. You'll see people in gyms doing shrugs with a triple extension to get a weight up that's too heavy or people setting up a face pull too heavy and they're using too much lower back.

It's a subtle thing but the foot on the ground often helps you up with a little upward propulsion. Try minimise that and drive through the heel of the foot on the box. And when you're stepping off, don't just drop down. Control the speed with the leg on the box.

I'm assuming it was your forearms you felt doing these? Use straps so your forearms/grip aren't a distraction.

The step up isn't something I'd be overly concerned about a certain rep max with. It's a gauge for a useful weight but it's one of those exercises that you can lose the benefit from by going too heavy because how you move changes what muscles are used. You'll see people in gyms doing shrugs with a triple extension to get a weight up that's too heavy or people setting up a face pull too heavy and they're using too much lower back.

It's a subtle thing but the foot on the ground often helps you up with a little upward propulsion. Try minimise that and drive through the heel of the foot on the box. And when you're stepping off, don't just drop down. Control the speed with the leg on the box.

I'm assuming it was your forearms you felt doing these? Use straps so your forearms/grip aren't a distraction.

Yeah I don't really like the step up as a max rep exercise it's a nice exercise and gets me breathing harder. I'll try them tips thanks .
    I don't have straps I'll get some are these the straps you use for deadlifting ? Yeah the arms felt tired just holding 25kg in each hand more so around wrist and forearms alright .

Yeah I don't really like the step up as a max rep exercise it's a nice exercise and gets me breathing harder. I'll try them tips thanks .
    I don't have straps I'll get some are these the straps you use for deadlifting ? Yeah the arms felt tired just holding 25kg in each hand more so around wrist and forearms alright .

Yes those straps will do fine. Get yourself an abwheel while your shopping ;)

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes those straps will do fine. Get yourself an abwheel while your shopping ;)

Thanks ill order a set today.

https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Fitness/Home-Gym-Equipment/Gloves%2C-Straps-%26-Belts/Harbinger-Padded-Cotton-Lifting-Straps%2C-Black/p/000000000001068347

Are they ok? Ill get an abwheel thanks

Yea they’re fine.
    You won’t be thanking me after your first session on the abwheel :)

Week 7 Day 1 Bench

New section of programming so some excitement for a change up.
    T1 Bench press
    Find 6 rep max - checks strong app and my 6 rep max from week 3 is 62.5kg.

40 X 10
    50 X 6 this is feeling really good tonight flying up
    60 X 3 nice and controlled
    I'm fairly confident of 62.5 but want a 6 rep max pb so it's between 65 or 67.5 , I go with 65
    65 X 6 that wasn't too bad at all last rep was a little slow , I'm tempted to go for 67.5 now but Alf would tell me off :D, and he would be right I probably had 1 or 2 in tank so 65 is correct stopping point .

Enter 65 into spreadsheet and drop sets are 5 sets of 3 at 56kg last set amrap.
    3/3/3/3/7*

T2a close grip bench

On week 5 this is programmed as 46kg for 6 sets of 2 it takes a pretty dramatic jump to 54kg for 5 sets of 6 tonight.
    54 X 6/6/6/6/6 the last rep was slow on each set I took 90 seconds between sets , that's long for me .

I had a good pump after these 2 exercises in the chest and felt like I did a decent workout .

T2b t bar row
    Find 12 rep max and 3 more max rep sets

Homemade handles around the bar got really good range of motion here and did 55 X 8 before stopping and dropping to 45 , it's better to do sets of 45 where you squeeze the life out of each rep than rushed half assed sets of 55 was my thinking .
    45 X 12/8/7/7 off 45 seconds .

T2c Arnold press
    Find 12 rep max and 3 more mrs

Wanted to add some shoulder work , this looked like a good new exercise to try .
    Seated warm up with 7.5 dumbells. Then 10kg and settling on 12.5kg for 12/9/8/7

T3's got a rest this week and I'm glad that was a step up on the previous 6 weeks more volume and weight . I enjoyed it though.
    Completed in an hour

Tomorrow Ill try get minimum 2 hours on bike then , deadlift Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Hope this abwheel gets lost in the post :D I hate training abs probably a sign I need to work on them .

I'd tell you off for checking what your 6RM was previously rather than just working up in sets of 6 til you hit it....and then remember I still struggle with that myself :pac:

Week 7 Day 2 Deadlift

I don't wanna be complaining but I ain't been sleeping great napping on couch a lot and general fatigue , I actually had some pains at top of my calves yesterday which im putting down to what Alf said about doing weighted step ups to failure and form breaking down. Nothing too serious .
    When I read about this program alot of people said it's very hard and they where destroyed on it, I didn't really get that feeling first few weeks maybe I underestimated it ? Is it a hard program ? I don't know but certainly either fatigued from lifting or a mini bug or something . But I'm also running and biking for about 6-8 hours a week so I'll drop back again on the cardio and just walk / bike commute to work and stuff .

Anyways
    T1 Deadlift
    Find 6 rep max , first block this was 120kg I try forget this .

60 X 6
    80 X 4
    110 X 2
    130 loaded no going back now
    130 X 6 last rep was not perfect probably would have failed a competition , but we're not in a competition so It passed :D
    Yeah I was right on the limit .
    The limiting factor seems to be my hands , I'm chalked up and gripping tight but the bar maybe turns have an inch and clumps the skin up at the joint to my fingers , this skin is really thick and damn sore them holding the bar.
    130 meant 85% of that for 5 sets of 3
    110 X 3/3/3/3/5° amrap I stopped at 5 cause my hands where so sore .
    My straps are due tomorrow from hpnutrition who I ended up ordering from cause they had abwheel aswell.

T2a Front squat
    5 sets of 6 at 65kg
    Just trying to remember to brace and keep elbows high and a few other pointers , some reps where lazy but when I did everything right it went well . Hard enough effort I was breathing after the 3rd set .

T2b incline dumbbell row

22.5kgs X 10/8/8/7 nicely done holding at top and squeezing .

No T3 's this week so I decided to call it a night 50 mins done and I think doing less is more sometimes . Save myself for another day .

• Advertisement

Double over or mixed grip?

Double over or mixed grip?

Double over I'm afraid to change to mix grip , it's probably a cheap bar with a horrible knurling

Double over I'm afraid to change to mix grip , it's probably a cheap bar with a horrible knurling

The knurling on expensive bars will do a number on your hands.

Just try mix grip.

Or even straps.

The knurling on expensive bars will do a number on your hands.

Just try mix grip.

Or even straps.

I think it was Alex viada I watched recently who said mixed grip can cause shoulder imbalances and injury .
    So I'll go with the straps , I probably just need to man up and take the pain .

I think it was Alex viada I watched recently who said mixed grip can cause shoulder imbalances and injury .

Alternate grip every few workouts.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Alternate grip every few workouts.

Sometimes the obvious answer is the simplest good point thanks I'll do alternate grip on the deficit deadlift days cause they are lighter .

Sometimes the obvious answer is the simplest good point thanks I'll do alternate grip on the deficit deadlift days cause they are lighter .

No sorry, I meant alternate your mixed grip. Eg, don’t always have your left hand as the under hand. Mix it up

You don't even need to alternate. It feels so alien.

Just continue with double overhang until grip is an issue and then switch.

If you want, use straps on the higher rep back off sets

That's a great video between that and the advice here I think it's best to continue to lift double overhand until it's too sore to continue the switch to alternate grip and use straps sparingly.
    The hands just need to get stronger.

Sorry didn't see your post Alf , basicslly yeah do what to said thanks ��

• Advertisement

Week 7 Day 3

Well it only took 7 weeks and 3 days for the penny to finally drop on how to do these workouts , thanks in no small part to the constant stream of advice I've gotten here , which I'm especially greatfull for .

It's been a tough couple of days an unintended bike race when I hopped on zwift Monday night and a friend was entering so I joined him had my legs in an awful state.
    Then of all things a few friends came to visit for a family birthday and as we were out in the garden inevitably we ended up in the cabin and a bit of a pi**ing contest started with max rep pull ups and push ups then a few bench presses. Anyways boys will be boys.

T1 ohp
    Find 6 rep max

I didn't know off top of my head what my last week's 6 rep max and managed not to check .

20 X 6
    30 X 6
    40 X 6 ok these are going up easier than expected
    45 X 6 still good last rep a little slower but good .
    Do I go 47.5 or 50
    I go 50 and realised it was a mistake after first couple.
    50 X 5 I just couldn't push a 6th .
    Overhead press can go from been light to heavy really really quick don't get it , you add 5kg to the bar and it feels like your suddenly lifting twice the weight some weird stuff .
    Working sets
    5 sets of 3 at 38.5kg 3/3/3/3/10* amrap that was a true amrap off 1 min.

T2a incline bench
    5 sets of 6 at 50kg

I didn't know what to expect here but straight away theses felt heavy last rep of first set I had to push hard to rack the bar .
    Took 2 minutes and counted the weights and checked spreadsheet yep it's 50kg I've to lift . These are calculated off my bench 1 rep max from week 6 .
    Managed 4 sets of 6 at 50kg and only a set of 5 on last . Gutted I don't think your supposed to fail a T2a at all.

T2b T bar row
    Find 12 rep max and 3 more max rep sets

Working up in 12's settled on 40 for 12/11/10/9 off 1 min

T2c Arnold press
    Find 12 rep max

15kg's X 12/8/6/5 off 1 min .

T3's are a rest week

Completed in just over an hour , lots of rest took 2 mins in the incline bench between each set of 6 that's like 10 mins alone of rest .

I'm happy to finally understand the program and do it better still making mistakes should of went with 47.5 for the ohp 6 rep max attempt .
    Pretty annoyed that I didn't hit the incline bench I should be hitting that cause it's not supposed to be that hard .
    Anyway already looking forward to running this all again and doing it much better .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Yeah with ohp and even bench, don't be afraid to just go up 2.5kg rather than 5kg, as it can make a big difference. 2.5kg increase around the 50kg mark on a press is the same percentage increase as 5kg on a squat that's around the 100kg mark. Better to be slightly cautious and leave something in the tank rather than overshoot.

Thanks Deano ,

Now I'm just wondering did I ness up the incline bench that was my first time using the new adjustable bench and previously I had just propped the bench up on a platform.

I had the incline at about 45 degrees is that too much ? Would that be why I failed ? Thanks

The unintended p*ssing contest probably had more to do with it.

Some days it just goes like that. Chalk it down and move on.

The incline was fine fwiw.

Week 7 Day 4 Squat

My knee been giving me some bother since Monday when I twisted it funny lifting my youngest up onto a slide , so wore a knee support and decided to skip Bulgarian squats ( any excuse eh :D )

Find 6 rep max
    40 X 6
    50 X 6
    60 X 6
    70 X 6 getting tough but felt more general fatigue going up in 6's
    75 X 6 ok nice reps but maybe only had 1-2 left
    80 X 2 I just did 2 and copped myself on that if I got to 6 it would be a struggle and 75 was my stopping point .
    Working sets to Of 65 X 3/3/3/3/6°amrap.
    Happy with that .

T2a deficit deadlift
    5 sets of 6 @ 106kg

I know my 6 rep max for deadlift is 120kg I'm wondering are these programmed too heavy I check the spreadsheet it's only going to get heavier from each week on but there's a big jump from week 5 where I was doing 104 for 2 reps .
    Theses are based on 70% of deadlift max 150kg

I got them all but had to take 2 mins between sets , was a tough session .

T2b incline row with dumbells
    Find 10 rep max and 3 max rep sets .

15kg's X 10
    22.5kgs X 10/8/7/6

Completed in an hour feels like a long time to do 3 exercises but can't complain everything was done correctly and with purpose.
    I think the second half of this program is going to be much harder than the first . The first 6 weeks I was trying to sneak extra stuff in lately I'm thinking just do the minimum acceptable and move on.

Just to add a little to the point about going up in the number of reps you have to find your max in...you can still conserve energy to a degree on the way up.

Might make much or a difference ultimately, or maybe even at all just yet, but you know you can get to 70 and have a better idea from there so maybe warm ups with 40/55/70 would just keep a little more in the tank, especially on higher reps.

But it's not a big deal and you're probably better to keep it simple like you are for now. You're still building that foundation and the nature of the back off sets allows you to get volume in after the top set so whether you set a 6RM at 75 or 80 today isn't too important.

ETA I don't want to come across like I think i know it all. It's really just I've made a lot of mistakes and I've been told why they're mistakes and how to address them by people a lot more knowledgeable so just passing on what I learned from my mistakes :)

Just to add a little to the point about going up in the number of reps you have to find your max in...you can still conserve energy to a degree on the way up.

Might make much or a difference ultimately, or maybe even at all just yet, but you know you can get to 70 and have a better idea from there so maybe warm ups with 40/55/70 would just keep a little more in the tank, especially on higher reps.

But it's not a big deal and you're probably better to keep it simple like you are for now. You're still building that foundation and the nature of the back off sets allows you to get volume in after the top set so whether you set a 6RM at 75 or 80 today isn't too important.

Thanks it's great for me to just get that much volume squatting because I'm still new to it and have to think of my set up each time . As you say the number is not as important as the training . Thanks again cause the workout is much more enjoyable doing it your way less guess work and more quality reps .

ETA I don't want to come across like I think i know it all. It's really just I've made a lot of mistakes and I've been told why they're mistakes and how to address them by people a lot more knowledgeable so just passing on what I learned from my mistakes :)

Not in the slightest I'm delighted to get such quality feedback , it's one of the reasons I started the log so I'm thrilled if people chime in positive or negative .
    Hopefully I can pass it on myself to someone else starting out in a few years .
    Everything you have done in life someone else has done that before you or felt that emotion before you so learn from the mistakes others have made and it will be easier . That's my thinking so please keep it coming .

Week 8 day 1 Bench

Early one busy day so wanted to get this done pre breakfast. Don't often lift without eating .

T1 Bench day
    Find 4 rep max

40x4 , 50 X 4 , 60 X 4 , 65 X 4 all ok
    70 X 4 ok last rep a little tough don't feel I got leg drive ( last 4 rep max was 67.5 in first 6 week block )
    72.5 X 3 .... I load this unsure if I should have stopped at 70 , I felt I just lost tension in body on last rep on 70 so want to try .
    72.5 was ok for 2 , 3rd was a struggle and 4th didn't happen .

Drop sets of 60 for 2/2/2/2/6° amrap

I'm feeling good I remember 72.5 was 1 rep max or close to it at start now I'm doing 3 at that weight and it feels more manageable.

T2a close grip bench

5 sets of 5 at 58.5 off 90 seconds
    These all went really easily I was expecting them to be tougher .

[B]T2b T bar row [/B]

30x 10, 40 X 10, 45 x10/7/6/5 off 1 min

T2c chin up

Guessed I could do 10 chin ups was right just about
    10/5/4/4 off 45seconds

T3a tricep extension dumbell
    Find 18 rep max and 3 more mrs

10kg X 18
    15kg X 18/12/9/7 these felt harder than scullcrushers that was just one dumbell held between hands.off 45 seconds .

T3b lateral dumbell raise
    Find 18rep max and 3 more
    5kg's X 18/12/9/6 off 45 seconds

T3c bicep curl dumbells

10kg's X 18 / 16/ 12/11 off 45 seconds

My arms are fried since chin ups .

Completed in 1 hour 20 mins now lifting my spoon to eat my cereal feels like a workout , good session

• Advertisement

Week 8 day 2 Deadlift

T1 Deadlift
    Find 4 rep max

60 X 4 , 80 X 4 , 100 X 4
    120 X 4 hands getting sore I have straps but don't want them to be a crutch
    130 X 4 it's tough but it should be, everything from 100 feels heavy so I'm not stopping .
    140 loaded and straps on , lean to bar and start wrapping straps first hand was fine second hand took some fiddling about ended up being bent over bar for probably 1-2 mins , too much blood to the head .
    140 X 4 get in let a roar out and my neighbor was in his back garden and looked over fence :o they couldn't allow my sort inside a gym !
    135 was my 1 rep max at start of week 1 so this program is working for sure .
    Drop sets of 120kg X 2/2/2/2/3* amrap made a deal with myself id just do 3 for amrap I was fairly done after that felt a little lightheaded so took 3 mins to sit down . That took 35 mins just for T1 so I see why people complain about this program been too long in gym.

T2a Front squat
    5 sets of 5 at 67.5kg
    Some warm up sets and all very easy tried to do them slow and concentrate on the movement.

T2b Dumbell incline row

22.5kg's X 10/9/7/7 off 45 seconds

T3a underhand lat pulldown

Only have bands at moment for this it became 4 sets of 18 off 45 seconds .

T3b Reverse fly dumbells
    Find 18rep max and 3 more mrs
    7.5kg's X 18/15/14/14

Completed about 1 both 20 , not a hell of a lot of exercises done but took 2 mins between the drop sets of 120kg cause my legs where feeling it shaking a little on lockout .
    Enjoyable I love that you can give deadlift everything no risk of failing causing you to get squashed etc .

Advertisement