Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't put weights down ! Fitter at 40?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Straps can be a hoor for deadlifting because you have to strap up and then try and set yourself, which isn't easy.

Also, I'd advise kneeling if you're going to be strapping up for a heavy set of deadlifts. It's just a touch less tiring on the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Straps can be a hoor for deadlifting because you have to strap up and then try and set yourself, which isn't easy.

Also, I'd advise kneeling if you're going to be strapping up for a heavy set of deadlifts. It's just a touch less tiring on the legs.

Yeah I never thought about it till I bent down and I was thinking I'm bent over far too long now the hamstrings where starting to feel tired , I just used them for the heaviest set then took them off .
    Thanks never thought about kneeling .

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Yeah I never thought about it till I bent down and I was thinking I'm bent over far too long now the hamstrings where starting to feel tired , I just used them for the heaviest set then took them off .
    Thanks never thought about kneeling .

Not something I ever thought about either until one time I was putting on straps for snatch-grip deads (I can't avoid straps for those, unfortunately) and the coach said to kneel and just save a little energy in the legs

week 8 Day 3 OHP

Ohp it's a love hate relationship I'm high up on the ape index with longer arms than my height so I'm always going to look a bit like Peter crouch holding the corner flag above his head .

Anyways find 4 rep max
    20 X 4 , 30 X 4 , 40.x 4 , 45 X 4 all sail up decision time last time I tried 4 rep max was 50 and wasn't pretty tempted to go to 52.5 for attempt but I know Alf would say it's about the session not your real 4 rep max ! So I go 50 X 4 it flies up much easier than expected last rep slow but I'm pleasantly surprised .
    Load 52 5kg the 2 min rest beeper goes off on strong app and boom it's up for 4 again last rep slow but that's a big improvement again that's close to my starting 1 rep max .
    Drop sets of 45kg for 2/2/2/2/3* amrap very little left probably could of got 4 reps at a push ,

T2a incline bench
    Ok so I failed this last week at 52kg for 6 sets of 5 .
    Today called for 55kg for 5 reps of 5 .

55 X 5- last rep struggle
    55 X 5 - same
    55 X 5 - real struggle and shoulder feeling it
    50 X 5 - decide to reduce weight
    55 X 4 - loaded 55 again it's too heavy .

I can't understand how this is programmed so relatively heavy compared to everything else . Had a look at the spreadsheet again the exercise should be "legs up bench " not incline bench I swapped for incline , I don't know if that makes any odds But sure it is what it is i can't lift it as programmed and failed 2 weeks in a row so I'm going to program it down 5%.

T2b barbell row underhand grip
    Find 10 rep max and 3 more mrs
    Don't do this exercise but it's a staple it seems so
    50 X 10/8/7/7 off 45 seconds.

T2c T bar row
    Find 10 rep max

45 X 10/8/7/6 off 45 seconds.

T3a Arnold press
    Find 18 RM
    10Kg's X 18/14/10/8 off 45 seconds

T3b Dumbell scullcrushers
    Find 18 RM
    7.5KG'S X 18/15/10/9 off 45 seconds

Did a few practice ab rollouts but my shoulders where feeling it so I think I'll leave that till another day when I don't do much shoulder work.

Completed 1 hour 22 mins happy out .

I wished I had made these readjustments to how to approach sessions as quickly as you are.

Well done on a shiny new PR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dude, stop using your long arms as an excuse. That’s my excuse. If you progress quicker than me, and I think you may have surpassed me already, then that means I’m weak as f**k on ohp and I’ll be weak forever

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Dude, stop using your long arms as an excuse. That’s my excuse. If you progress quicker than me, and I think you may have surpassed me already, then that means I’m weak as f**k on ohp and I’ll be weak forever

:D I know you said it first , but I really feel it when I'm watching YouTube tutorials and see a lad locking out overhead and the barbell is barely above his forehead, then I do it and it's like wtf why is the bar so far above my head I'm starting to wobble !
    I still think 60+ is a long way off for me , 4 sets of 52.5 doesn't equal 1 X 60 , it's a pig of a lift your right but should be no reason genetically or biomechanically that I can't lift my bodyweight which is 76kg ish so I just gotta get on with it.

How's your incline bench press ? Could you do 5 sets of 5 at 55kg ?

Longer arms are good for deadlifting, gorilla man, so stop doing OHP and use that time to get a better deadlift :pac:

:D I know you said it first , but I really feel it when I'm watching YouTube tutorials and see a lad locking out overhead and the barbell is barely above his forehead, then I do it and it's like wtf why is the bar so far above my head I'm starting to wobble !
    I still think 60+ is a long way off for me , 4 sets of 52.5 doesn't equal 1 X 60 , it's a pig of a lift your right but should be no reason genetically or biomechanically that I can't lift my bodyweight which is 76kg ish so I just gotta get on with it.

How's your incline bench press ? Could you do 5 sets of 5 at 55kg ?

Did you do 4 sets of 52.5 x 4 reps?

I couldn’t tell you what my incline bench is. My adjustable bench is screwed to the ground and my flat bench is used in my squat rack where I do my bench pressing.

Did you do 4 sets of 52.5 x 4 reps?

I couldn’t tell you what my incline bench is. My adjustable bench is screwed to the ground and my flat bench is used in my squat rack where I do my bench pressing.

Oh no just 1 set of 4 reps of 52.5kg sorry .

• Advertisement

Oh no just 1 set of 4 reps of 52.5kg sorry .

God, I don’t know if I’d be able to do 4 reps. I must try.

Okay I have to go see how much I can Ohp this weekend so. Although I never train it.
    It won't be anywhere near 50 haha

Okay I have to go see how much I can Ohp this weekend so. Although I never train it.
    It won't be anywhere near 50 haha

Join in the virtual weightlifting competition it's the future , first to >60kg good luck

Week 8 Day 4 Squat

Not my favourite day by any stretch , a full day out with family and carrying the youngest along a packed dun laoighaire peer so he wouldn't jump in sea meant I was tired and didn't wanna train but eh they weights won't lift themselves.

T1 Squat
    Find 4 rep max
    40/50/60/70 X 4
    75 X 4 it's hard my legs are tired I biked hard sessions 2 days this week .
    80 X 4 ok
    85 X 4 just about , I get a little twing feeling in right hip when I'm near my limit , my squat sucks not happy at all with it , numbers are pathetic , I don't have that raw power I could cyxle or run for hours but power ain't there .
    Drop sets of 72.5 X 2/2/2/2/4* amrap .

T2a Deficit deadlift
    5 sets of 5 @ 112.5kg they where hard enough last rep of each set felt hard , not the weight so much as accumulated fatigue.

T2b incline dumbbell row
    Find 10 rep max and 3 more sets

22.5 X 10/8/7/6 off 45

T2c Bulgarian split squats
    Decided not to max rep set these and do them slowly and controlled with dumbells .
    Used 12.5kgs for 4 sets to 10 off a minute , good burn in legs.

T3a incline bicep curl
    Find 18 rep max and 3 more sets
    10kgs x18/9/8/9 these where brutally hard after the first 18 , I think it was hard because I barely made 18 but also you kinda have to have your arms at 45 degree so dunbell doesn't hit bench on way up and down .

Completed 1 hour 30 mins
    Was one of them nights that was just about getting it done , wasn't feeling it at all .
    Onwards .

If you want to improve your squat then stop overhead pressing, for about 2 years ;);).

But seriously, your squat will come on in leaps and bounds much quicker than pressing. Be patient. There’s loads of muscle in your legs and quads and loads to build on. Recently I was looking back at videos of me squatting 90kg for a few reps and remembering my mindset thinking I was the shjt!! Then in no time at all I was hitting 120, which was a huge milestone for me. Even to this day when I load 120 it still triggers memories of how big it was.
    Long story short, you’ll get there.

Thanks man ! It's good to read other logs and see how far people have come it gives me encouragement.

I hope your commentary doesn't reflect the thought process during your squat.

Mentally clear the deck every time.

And yeah times, it will stall but you just keep working. Doing the right things. It will get there.

I hope your commentary doesn't reflect the thought process during your squat.

Mentally clear the deck every time.

And yeah times, it will stall but you just keep working. Doing the right things. It will get there.

No I dont get negative about it mid reps I'm concentrating on form . I'm happy I'm doing something I suck at , it would be easy to pick exercises you enjoy doing .

When I got to triathlon I hated swimming in fact i couldn't swim a length at all (self thaught from YouTube )so i decided to swim as much as possible until I stopped hating it , I got to 1 full length and I was resting for a minute before I could go again . Some days I went the pool twice a day , through pure stubbornness I got to the stage of swimming 5k non stop in the pool . I was also swimming in the fast lane and able to keep with guys who where swimming years. So anything is possible even with zero talent or genetics .

So yeah next thing on my mind is what if I got up half an hour earlier for a few months and before getting on the bike to work and do 30 mins squatting , I'd obviously not be using max weight but could do some kind of progressive overload . I think it's a good idea but I'll probably start at the end of this 13 week block so I can program a little less T3 exercises in attempt 2 to allow for this extra workload .

https://youtu.be/gUpIeZuK3Qg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some interesting reading here on squatting every day - https://powerliftingtechnique.com/squat-every-day/

Here are five benefits for incorporating squatting every day into your training routine:

It allows you to spread your work out over more training sessions
    It helps you fit around short training session availability
    It helps you practice technique by minimising session fatigue
    It helps bring up squats if it is a weakness
    It may help you progressively overload from previous regime

Here are 4 drawbacks with the squatting every day regiment:

May not be mentally sustainable
    Does not give flexibility for life events and lifestyle factors
    May risk overuse injury
    May neglect other areas of weakness (deadlift, bench, or other muscle groups)

If you want to get better at squatting, squatting more is a decent starting point. But you want to manage volume and intensity so that it doesn't interfere with the programme you're following.

You'd just be using lighter weights for more reps and you'd have to be ok with not going overboard on volume so that you felt you got some benefit from, given that you've admitted to doing that before.
    Think of it more as an opportunity to practice the movement

• Advertisement

Week 9 Day 1 Bench
    This was supposed to be yesterday I was out all day and got back too late. First session missed in 8 weeks but got it done this morning.

T1 Bench
    Find 2 rep max

I decided to widen my grip on the bar slightly , I basically have my hands directly covering the two rings on the bar.
    40x 4 , 50.x 4 , 60x2 , 65 X 2
    70 X 2 really is fine
    75 X 2 second rep slow
    77.5 X 0 I loaded this when I probably shouldn't have , lowered to chest and new I wasn't making 2 so lay it on safetys .
    Not a pb matching my last 2 rep max but it's much more manageable now I feel I could lift 75 X 2 any given day .
    Drop sets of 65kg X 1/1/1/1/3* amrap off 60 seconds .

T2a close grip bench
    5 sets of 4 at 62.5kg
    I have to question if this is too heavy I had a look at it and my best 4 reps of normal bench are at 70kg . So if close grip is 90% of normal grip then that would give me a 4 rep max of 63kg for close grip ( if that's how it works ). Now I've to do 5 sets of 4 rep at 62.5kg , this looks to be a big ask.

Anyways got it done
    62.5 X 4 ok
    62.5 X 4 ok last one slow
    62.5 x 4 last one really slow
    Took 2 mins 30 rest instead of 1.30
    62.5 X 4 just got last one
    Another 2mins 30 closer to 2 mins 45
    62 5 X 4 I'm not failing now last one body came off bench temporarily.
    I still maintain that was too difficult.

T2b chest supported wide grip barbell row
    Find 10 rep max and 3 more max rep sets

Wanted to do these over dumbells cause I like the wider grip .
    55 X 10/8/6/6 off 45 seconds

T2c weighted dips
    Find 10 rep max and 3 more
    Some body weight dips to warm up
    Then 15kg plate X 10/8/4/4 off 45 seconds , except 3rd set where I miscalculated and took 60 seconds rest .

T3a Rear Delt fly
    Find 16 rep max
    7.5kg's X 16/15/13/13

T3b upright row with dumbells
    Find 16 rep max
    10kgs X 16/13/11/11

T3c skullcrushers with dumbells
    Find 16 rep max and 3 more
    7.5kgs X 16/16/11/9

Completed 1 hour 30 , good session rainy day so an hour or two on the turbo later .

Play around with bench grip width. What feels strongest is different for different people...different limb lengths etc.

Took me ages to figure that out. I think I went with the theory that your forearms should be perpendicular to the bar when the bar is on your chest.

Took me ages to figure that out. I think I went with the theory that your forearms should be perpendicular to the bar when the bar is on your chest.

Yeah that was my thinking too I didn't like that my arms weren't perpendicular to the bar when bar touching chest it felt a bit off , so I've gone wider , thanks .

Week 9 Day 2 Deadlift

Didn't wanna train too tired but having missed Sunday I want to do 5 workouts this week to get back on track . Arms sore still from yesterday .made a deal to just do T1 and T2

T1 Deadlift
    Find 2 rep max
    60 X 2 , 80 X 2 , 100 X 2 , 120 X 2
    140 X 2 not great but up
    145 X 2( added straps) yeah just about , not pushing it any more .
    125 X 1/1/1/1/4* amrap
    Glad to get it done , there'll be stronger days ahead .

T2a Front squat
    72.5kg for 5 sets of 4 , no problems nice depth .
    Front squat is probably stronger than my back .

T2b t bar row
    Find 8 rep max and 3 more mrs
    50kg X 8/6/6/5 off 1 min

T2c chin ups
    Find 8rep max and 3 more
    8/5/4/4 off 45 seconds hard on tired arms .

T3a Seated ohp dumbells
    Find 16 rep max and 3 more mrs
    10kgs X 16/16/11/12 off 45 seconds .

Completed in 1 hour 15 mins
    Probably shouldn't be trying to make up sessions but I've to cycle I'm and out of work tomorrow and meet a mate for a lunch time run so tomorrow night I want to rest .
    Anyways there'll be better days , positives are that I'm lifting heavier on my bad days now than I ever was prior to starting this plan .

Week 9 Day 3 OHP

Busy week the chatter of a possible half ironman in July has me doing a decent bit of biking and a couple of runs. Need to make a decision, don't want to overtrain and in the meantime my priority is weights , I never going to be in top condition for an ironman now but it might be a good chance to not train so much for it and do it for enjoyment and not trying to finish top xx%.
    Anyways feeling surprisingly good after two bike rides and a run today and yesterday .

T1 OHP
    FIND 2RM
    20 X 8 , 30 X 6 , 40 X 4 , 45 x 2
    50 X 2
    55 X 2
    That was good and a new 2 RM
    Working sets of 46 X 1/1/1/1/5* amrap
    46 felt a little light for 1 .

T2a incline bench
    5 sets to 4 at 58kg was on plan
    I didn't manage 5 X 5 at 55kg last week so decided to do
    5 sets of 4 at 55kg .. a very fair effort like 9/10 rep.

T2b bent over row
    Find 8 RM AND 3 MRS
    Wanted to do lots of these
    30 X 8 , 35 X 8 , 40 X 8 , 45 x8
    47.5 X 8/8/7/7 OFF 60 seconds

T2c incline dB press
    Need to work on this area so added this .
    5kgs X 8 , 7.5 X 8 , 10 X 8 , 15 X 8
    20kgs X 8/5/4/4 off 45 seconds

T3a Renegade row
    Find 16 rep max and 3 more MRS
    New exercise I cheated and did 16 alternating sides just to get used to it with 12.5kg dumbells, was interesting like punching the floor each time maybe the down portion should be more controlled .
    Ended up as 4 sets to 8 each side using 12.5kgs , felt it in lats.
    I'll program it better and do heavier in future .

T3b Skullcrushers DB
    Find 16 RM
    10kgs X 16/12/10/8 off 45 seconds

Completed in 1 hour 20.
    The quality of all my reps has increased dramatically, thanks to advice here partially ALF who advised me not to concentrate so much on rep max . Now I work up to it using control.

You're the one doing the work so take the credit yourself.

Good call on the incline bench by the way!

Week 9 Day 4 Squat

Another week done , a very heavy cardio week and legs sore just standing from couch so I was apprehensive about this .

T1 squat
    Find 2 RM
    20 X 10 , 30.X 8 , 40 X 6 , 50 X 4 , 60 X 2 , 70 X 2
    80 X 2 Getting heavy
    90 X 2 ... Heavy but manageable.
    95 X 0 :mad: load 95 it feels heavy on my back , I go so slowly down for fear of God knows what , I do like a quarter squat but fear kicks in of going past parallel and I rise and try again same thing stupid quarter squat and I come back up. I have safetys there I just have irrational fear of I dunno I guess I'll get over it .
    Working sets of 76kg for 1/1/1/1/6* amrap lovely depth and drive on all them .
    Just reinforces for me that I need to work on squat so much more in next block of training.

T2 Deficit Deadlift
    5 sets of 4 at 120kg off 1.5 inch platform

These aren't easy but they aren't supposed to be I guess :)
    Used straps for last 2 sets as hands where getting sweaty .

T2b T bar row
    50kg X 8/7/7/6 off 45 seconds

T2c Bulgarian split squats
    I don't like doing these as max rep sets
    15kg dumbells in each hand for 4 sets of 8 off 60 seconds
    Legs burning like ....

T3a lateral raises
    Find 16 rep max and 3 more mrs
    I'm dead now and want finished.
    Went with 7.5kg just made 16 then 8/6/5 for sets off 45 seconds.

Completed in an hour and 20 or so , I could of done more but I was flogging a dead horse . Have bench tomorrow so wanted to give upper body a rest too .

What happened on the squat has happened to all of us at some stage. Lots in the early days. It's a confidence thing because you're thinking if you go to depth you won't come back up so you cut it high even though you haven't consciously tried to.

It will come with time. And a positive mindset when the bar is on your back.

• Advertisement

What happened on the squat has happened to all of us at some stage. Lots in the early days. It's a confidence thing because you're thinking if you go to depth you won't come back up so you cut it high even though you haven't consciously tried to.

It will come with time. And a positive mindset when the bar is on your back.

I was a bit annoyed but in hindsight you know you have to serve your time you can't expect to lift like people who have lifted for years . I was defeated as soon as I unracked the bar . But more generally I just don't have enough practice squatting been under the bar and failing . I will do loads more next block , it's good to have something to improve on otherwise life be boring . Thanks good to hear others suffered the fear also at some stage !

Advertisement