Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level of Savings

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

dublin49 wrote: »
    surely the tax relief aspect of pensions is overstated ,its just Tax deferred until you get it in old age. no?

It’s compounded over the years though, makes a huge difference.

Plus there’s a tax free lump sum element too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dublin49

Smee_Again wrote: »

Fair enough,forgot about lump sum which can be a huge help with kids looking for house buying hand outs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Smee_Again wrote: »

and the tax at the end is most likely less than the tax now. I maxed my AVC and I'm still on the upper bracket. definitely wont be when im drawing down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

surely the tax relief aspect of pensions is overstated ,its just Tax deferred until you get it in old age. no?

No.

My parents saved 40%+ tax relief on conts.

In retirement, they pay under 10% effective rate on their income.

So there is a tax saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There's a large element of deferral, but it's deferring at the higher rate of tax when you're earnings are high, then paying the tax when your earnings are low, and likely to be mainly taxed at the lower rate. And then there's the tax free lump sum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement